F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Swung by the dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Swung by the dealer...

I was interested in a '08 F250 Reg cab XL with the 5.4l v8 6 speed with only cruise and A/C.

However, I really want a F250 SuperCab XL with the Diesel and the 6 speed with only cruise and A/C... but then I won't be able to get it until around the end of next year.

He recommended that I wait, and just use the current truck for whatever I want, because the trade in value will be really low anyways because of my options... then again, I walked away with only spending 15k on a new F150. Thats less than most people buy Kias for. Basically he said just use it and abuse it.

He told me I would never go back to a F150 when I get the F250 with the diesel...

I decided to test drive one, and they had one with a reg cab 5.4l with the 6 speed manual, 4x4, with A/C but no cruise. As far as power... I can't really tell a difference, except that I really like that granny gear. The clutch seemed to have a bit more grab to it, but it still had that fade like my F150 does, which is freakin' annoying. Another thing I didn't like was that there was NO engine braking until I got down to like 3rd, which is exactly the same problem I have with my current F150... I dunno if it's a Ford thing or not. Other than that, it seemed a bit sluggish compared to the F150 I got now. I then test drove a supercab automatic diesel 4x4 with a lot of options (I think it was a XLT) and I wasn't overly impressed with the automatic, especially on hills. I thought for a truck with so much torque, it could stay in O/D better than my F150 on the same hills. It was kind of sad that it downgeared to like 3rd or to climb the same hill that my F150 can climb perfectly fine in 5th. I also noticed that when I took my foot off the pedal and then reapplied it there was no engine braking and the truck shifted out of O/D. I showed the salesman, and he looked at me baffled.

I dunno... I'm not very impressed with either one I test drove. In fact, it left a rather sour taste in my mouth.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well...considering power to weight ratio it makes sense with the 5.4. Just for fun you need to find a V10 w/ 4:10's or so and try that.

I'm surprised on your report about the diesel....my opinion is that the torque isn't a 'speed' thing, but a hauling thing. That's were you would most likely see the difference.

Check this link out:

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007...shootout1.html

In the gasser class the V10 really shined when towing - not too bad against it's bigger brother the 6.4L either!

As far as the 0-60 and 1/4 mile I was surprised at their numbers as I have run mine at the track and am in the mid 8 second range and a 1/4 mile in the low 16 second range. Of course they ran theirs in 4 wheel drive too. I've never dragged mine in 4 wheel.

Of course you can't take 1 test as gospel, buut it gives you an idea.

Last edited by Pagnew; 04-10-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Contributor
Originally Posted by Pagnew
Well...considering power to weight ratio it makes sense with the 5.4. Just for fun you need to find a V10 w/ 4:10's or so and try that.

I'm surprised on your report about the diesel....my opinion is that the torque isn't a 'speed' thing, but a hauling thing. That's were you would most likely see the difference.

Check this link out:

In the gasser class the V10 really shined when towing - not too bad against it's bigger brother the 6.4L either!

As far as the 0-60 and 1/4 mile I was surprised at their numbers as I have run mine at the track and am in the mid 8 second range and a 1/4 mile in the low 16 second range. Of course they ran theirs in 4 wheel drive too. I've never dragged mine in 4 wheel.

Of course you can't take 1 test as gospel, buut it gives you an idea.
Interesting... My dealer was the only one that had a manual F250 for like 500 mile radius.

I wish I could find a dealer that had all 3. OR at least the v10 and a diesel one.

Well, as far as the choice between gas and/or diesel... it will have to depend on the circumstances.

I'm not looking for speed racer... but I want something enjoyable to drive like my F150.

That's why it's driving me crazy.... because if I am going to upgrade; I want to do it right.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:36 PM
i thought you wanted a 7.3?

Old 04-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Interesting... My dealer was the only one that had a manual F250 for like 500 mile radius.

I wish I could find a dealer that had all 3. OR at least the v10 and a diesel one.

Well, as far as the choice between gas and/or diesel... it will have to depend on the circumstances.

I'm not looking for speed racer... but I want something enjoyable to drive like my F150.

That's why it's driving me crazy.... because if I am going to upgrade; I want to do it right.
I totally get it! I just thought you'd like the article....

Old 04-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Contributor
Originally Posted by Pagnew
I totally get it! I just thought you'd like the article....
Yeah the article was interesting.

I think I'm going to sweat this one out till next year and get the diesel.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:15 PM
I am sure whatever you get you'll like it - you definately have plenty of time to think about what you really want. The harder the battle the sweeter the victory. 'Battle' being patience.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Contributor
Yeah, I'll get what I want soon. I don't want to be unhappy.

Besides, maybe by then I'll have more needs for it.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:30 AM
Yeah the article was interesting.
Are you sure? Because I don't think you read it. Check the link.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:15 AM
The link was changed (same until a day or so ago) - here is another for ohers who wish to read it:

I slso changed it in my original post

Old 04-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Contributor
Originally Posted by Coat_Hanger
Are you sure? Because I don't think you read it. Check the link.

I knew the link was broke, but I knew which site it was, so I just did a site: in google and since there was a part of the URL in there, I just typed the following into google:

site:http://www.pickuptruck.com/ shootout1.html

Doing that, I hit search, and I found it and believe it or not it was the ONLY page that it found.

No big deal.

Last edited by ManualF150; 04-10-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: vBB parsed my non-link for google.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Diesels offer NO engine braking unless you add an engine brake. The "gas pedal" of a diesel truck is exactly that. It controls how much fuel the engine gets. There is no throttle body to open up. On a gasser, when the throttle body is closed, the engine slows down faster due to there not being enough air. On a diesel, you can cut the fuel, but you can't stop the air... If that makes any sense at all.

And why a Super Cab XL? You'll probably have the same re-sale values as you do now... Might wanna splurge just a bit and get an XLT. Plus, that passenger side door lock and window are a LONG way away...

Old 04-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Contributor
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Diesels offer NO engine braking unless you add an engine brake. The "gas pedal" of a diesel truck is exactly that. It controls how much fuel the engine gets. There is no throttle body to open up. On a gasser, when the throttle body is closed, the engine slows down faster due to there not being enough air. On a diesel, you can cut the fuel, but you can't stop the air... If that makes any sense at all.

And why a Super Cab XL? You'll probably have the same re-sale values as you do now... Might wanna splurge just a bit and get an XLT. Plus, that passenger side door lock and window are a LONG way away...
How is the engine braking done? Is it like the new gen Cummins that does it with the turbo to provide engine braking? Or is it a traditional Jake?

I'd like to get an XLT, but there would be a LOT of options I would not get. Like the first one would be floor carpet delete, no fancy stereo, power seats, and NO auto headlights, etc... Power Locks and Windows would be a must, because it is really a long reach. Another thing I would not want would be the chrome bumpers... I like the argent bumpers and just the standard rims in chrome (like how I accidently got them on my F150).

There are some options I just don't want because of personal reasons.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:50 PM
How is the engine braking done? Is it like the new gen Cummins that does it with the turbo to provide engine braking? Or is it a traditional Jake?
It isn't done... You've either gotta add an engine brake (a Jake brake) or just use the brakes more. And an XLT doesn't automatically get you power seats or auto lights... They're options. Carpet delete is available.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:33 AM
Contributor
Originally Posted by Zaairman
It isn't done... You've either gotta add an engine brake (a Jake brake) or just use the brakes more. And an XLT doesn't automatically get you power seats or auto lights... They're options. Carpet delete is available.
Great...

As you can tell, I haven't really speced out any yet... in fact, I'm not even in that juncture yet.

I was just curious to see how one tested out. :o

But yes, I'll keep it in mind when I do go out and buy one.

Thanks Zach.

Quick Reply: Swung by the dealer...