F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Stupid Question alert!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 03s and early 04s are louder because the turbos had fewer vanes. The turbos were changed in late 04 and more vanes were added. Some will say this improves low end turbo response, but there are alot of people putting 03 turbos and pedestals on their later model 6.0s to get that insane whistle.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Old 05-07-2008, 10:08 PM
RR, why not just do the muffler/cat delete with a straight pipe first of all, it is cheap and if you don't like it then go get a muffler welded in there. I wish I had done that first, but now I don't want to cut out my magnaflow muffler and then decide it is too loud and have to get it rewelded back in.

A buddy of mine did the straight pipe thing with stock piping and it sounded great from idle to mid rpm, but at WOT he said the exhaust was too loud and he did get some drone on the highway, not sure if meant while towing or not though.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
There's a different turbo somewhere in there, it has to do with the vanes on the turbo. I think one year had 9 and the other had 11, but don't quote me on that. It is true that the 03s are louder, however.
now that i think of it you are right... im thinkin the more vanes the more boost right??? but im not sure...

this is a dumb question... y does a semi only make like 12 lbs of boost? (well dads 94 kenworth only makes that) they have way bigger turbos... and pickups make way more and are smaller turbos...

so i got to thinkin... whats the point of a bigger turbo...

i mean if one half the size makes twice as much boost as the bigger one... they should equal out shouldent they?

i know im prly wrong... ((((so educate me!!!)))

Old 05-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
I have no drone at 2,000 RPM with my 5" no muffler exhaust, but then again thats on a 7.3. I don't think a 6.0 would be much/any different. Inside the cab isn't louder at all. Outside the cab is much louder. Only time I ever get a hair of drone is right at 2200 RPM when laying on the power, but its not bad.
like i said dad had an 04 that wasnt as loud of a whistle as the 03... so he musta had a late model... anyway... it had a 4 inch exhasut with the muffler turned backwards... not sure what that did but he did it on purpose... anyway... pulling the camper (37 foot grand junction about 20,000 lbs) it would just whistle away... sounded great... no it wasnt a drone... ever heard a semi going down interstate when you pass it... you can tell it has somethin big when it has that drone... i would want the drone... but thats just me.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:21 PM
WOW just went out and looked at moms pickup door... it says 04/04... im guessing that means it is a first half of 04 year... dads pickup had 08/04!!!!! i try to tell dad that if he did what he did to his to moms it will sound like john's (the guy i was telling you about that has the 03) casue it had alot more whistle just stock then dads did just stock... wow i hope i can tlk him in to doing what john did to his!!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by nvrenuff
RR, why not just do the muffler/cat delete with a straight pipe first of all, it is cheap and if you don't like it then go get a muffler welded in there. I wish I had done that first, but now I don't want to cut out my magnaflow muffler and then decide it is too loud and have to get it rewelded back in.

A buddy of mine did the straight pipe thing with stock piping and it sounded great from idle to mid rpm, but at WOT he said the exhaust was too loud and he did get some drone on the highway, not sure if meant while towing or not though.
thanks, I tow a lot and thus put a load on the truck, I don't want a drone in the cab, I want it sound good but really i want to quiet it down some...

Probably not possible.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:35 PM
RR, I'd start first with no muffler. Any muffler shop should be able to do it for $30-35. If that is too loud, then add a muffler...

Quick Reply: Stupid Question alert!!