F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

E-350 Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
E-350 Experience

This weekend and next weekend I'll be driving an E-350 van.

Well, if you want to know what I am doing, I am driving one of my college's outdoor track team to it's regional and nation championships.

Anyhow, I picked up the E-350 XLT this morning. It has AdvanceTrac RSC on it, by the emblem on the rear door. It's got a Triton 5.4l V8. Not sure on the tranny... it seems as if it is a 4 speed... but I can't really tell for certain. Also there is no 3 on the gear selector. IIRC the 5 speed torqshifts have the 3 on the gear selecter.

Well, I drove it from Utica, NY to Alfread, NY. Right now I am at an econolodge in Hornell, NY. (As you can tell I am totally freakin' addicted, as usual...) I am going to drive it back next weekend.

My takes... Well... it drives exactly like my F150. In fact, my F150 is faster. However, I find myself flooring it around an aweful lot. Also, due to it's larger side surface area, it tends to get blown around on the road a little bit more. But, there is one thing I do like about it... the brakes! Wow, totally different from the F150. They have barely any fade, and the pedal is as solid as a rock. Which I kind of like.

Would I ever catch myself buying one? Nope. -- At least not with the v8... not too sure about the v10... but might take it with the 6.0l V8.

I also find that it is about a foot shorter than my F150, which makes it a total breeze to drive around. The coach was amazed at how well I drove and handled the thing. While he had the other E-350 and he was all over the road with it, it was like nothing to me.

I guess the F150 really isn't a "whip" after all... I guess you do actually get used to the "truck" handling.

What's really funny is when I get behind the wheel of a car or small front wheel drive car, it is actually more work to drive... at least to me it is.

Like right now, I can barely drive our Compass. I'm all over the road with it because I over correct on the steering and the ESP doesn't help either; it just makes it more sensitive. Plus the torque steer.

You should've seen me the other day... I borrowed it to go down to the store down my road to get a box of pizza. I am at a stop sign, and I gun it not holding on to the steering wheel and it pulled me a onto the shoulder of the road because I forgot that it is front wheel drive.

I dunno how people drive those front wheel drivers... it's so annoying. I like not holding on to my steering wheel while accelerating.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What year was the E-350?............

Old 05-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?

the e's benefit alot from a rear stabilizer bar,tunes-the e's with 5.4's stay in open loop, mine is an animal now from it's stock configuration-it should have a 4spd tranny-the tqshifts are for the diesels and v-10's

Old 05-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Contributor
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
What year was the E-350?............
It was a 2007 XLT.

Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
the e's benefit alot from a rear stabilizer bar,tunes-the e's with 5.4's stay in open loop, mine is an animal now from it's stock configuration-it should have a 4spd tranny-the tqshifts are for the diesels and v-10's
Yeah... that rear stabilizer makes a huge difference when taking turns and cornering.

I did find a little interesting thing out. It was by turning the traction control off (it's a button on the dash that looks like a car skidding), it seemed like it improved the performance a *little* bit.

However it's not a bad van... it just took a little getting used to the "lively" cargo...

But then again, it wouldn't be no different than if I hauled horses or other farm animals in a horse trailer... when they get "lively" going down the interstate, it's an interesting experience.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
It was a 2007 XLT.

Yeah... that rear stabilizer makes a huge difference when taking turns and cornering.

I did find a little interesting thing out. It was by turning the traction control off (it's a button on the dash that looks like a car skidding), it seemed like it improved the performance a *little* bit.

However it's not a bad van... it just took a little getting used to the "lively" cargo...

But then again, it wouldn't be no different than if I hauled horses or other farm animals in a horse trailer... when they get "lively" going down the interstate, it's an interesting experience.
I think that you found yourself a New Career!.............

Old 05-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Contributor
I think that you found yourself a New Career!.............

Bus driver?

No...

If anything, I'd do long haul.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Bus driver?

No...

If anything, I'd do long haul.
I was thinking more of the lines of an "Ice Road Trucker".........

Old 05-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Contributor
I was thinking more of the lines of an "Ice Road Trucker".........
Now that is hard work...

But I better get ready for another journey this week...

Can't wait...

I swear, I love driving... makes me want to get my CDL badly...

Old 05-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to drive a group of salesguys around once in a Chevy van two years ago. I think the engine was the 496 (8.1L). Had fun 'shutting them up' with little burn outs here and there. Of course, then they wanted more!. That van had some great low end torque, but was not too thrilling over 40mph...

Quick Reply: E-350 Experience