F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Spray in Bedliner vs Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You write "I am thinking though that the Rhino prove itself a more diverse liner and excel with more overall use (tough, non-skid, less dents) instead of just holding up and appearing cosmetically better."...

Well Roger - it's your decision - all I know is that the Line-X has proved itself way beyond any cosmetic appearance.

Enjoy whatever you get

Old 05-07-2008, 12:13 AM
I had a Rhino Liner, it held up to a lot and worked just like they said it would. But it faded and looked like crap. Line X looks 10 times better and from what I hear it's more durable. Dont even CONSIDER a damn drop in! Waste of money and looks like garbage.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
You write "I am thinking though that the Rhino prove itself a more diverse liner and excel with more overall use (tough, non-skid, less dents) instead of just holding up and appearing cosmetically better."...

Well Roger - it's your decision - all I know is that the Line-X has proved itself way beyond any cosmetic appearance.

Enjoy whatever you get
ROFL! I was really tired.... that sounds like crap.

What I was trying to say was... The Rhino Liners SHOULD be better OVERALL. Meaning: They should have better non-skid properties, and cargo should stay put better. The Line-X should hold up better cosmetically (look better longer, less scratches/marks). From what Ive heard, the softer liners hold up better IF you put a dent in the bed; reason being that the liner is bonded to the bed...if its a hard liner and the bed gets dented it will crack the liner becasue there is nothing under it anymore. The softer liner SHOULD conform to the dent and not crack. Thats what I've been told. Im not arguing with you Page... I was saying that the Rhino should have more benefits/features (non skid), but not hold up as well maybe.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by 05'ThumpinSTX
I had a Rhino Liner, it held up to a lot and worked just like they said it would. But it faded and looked like crap. Line X looks 10 times better and from what I hear it's more durable. Dont even CONSIDER a damn drop in! Waste of money and looks like garbage.
Did you get a colored one or a black standard one? How long after you got it did it fade?

No drop ins for me this time, Ive already made up my mind on that.... now its just down to the brand.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by 05'ThumpinSTX
Dont even CONSIDER a damn drop in! Waste of money and looks like garbage.
I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder...I personally like the look of a drop-in better than a spray-in. Plus, if you do a drop-in, you can always change your mind and do a spray-in. If you do a spray-in, you can never go back. When a shop sprays a liner in your bed, they wreck the paint in the bed anyway...so why would I worry about the bed getting messed up under a drop-in?

Oh, and how many people see the inside of my bed anyway?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder...I personally like the look of a drop-in better than a spray-in. Plus, if you do a drop-in, you can always change your mind and do a spray-in. If you do a spray-in, you can never go back. When a shop sprays a liner in your bed, they wreck the paint in the bed anyway...so why would I worry about the bed getting messed up under a drop-in?

Its not people SEEING your inside of yoru bed, under the liner....its what YOU DONT SEE. Under that drop-in you have debris (dirt, metal, screws, rocks, etc) and water (if you USE your truck at all that is ) and it will scratch the paint off down to the metal and it will rust out under there.

BTW, I've decided to go with the Line-X liner for $465 over the Rhino for $430. The only reason is I haul so much crap that I'll ruin the softer Rhino TuffGrip liners really fast. I would LIKE to get one though because I like the better non-slip properties....

Well Pagenew, thanks for the advice, and everyone else too....

I have to drive 45 miles to get to my Line-X dealer...the Rhino shop is like 5 miles away lol. But, Pagenew...if it sux (LineX)...I'm coming after you! lol J/K

The Line-X is way thinner (1/8 inch) vs the 1/4 inch Rhino, but the line-X is tougher. It's all in what you are going to use it for I guess. Since Im going to abuse it Im going Line-X....

Ill post pics when its done...they are a long time coming (pics of my truck).... my crappy cell phone pic of my truck in my sig really doesnt do it justice...

Roger

Last edited by roger200x; 05-09-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4

Hmmm - well if you didn't like the look of the spray-in you can always put a drop-in on top if it. Plus, you get the benefits of the spray-in like corrosion resistance and a more 'tighter', bonded bed that you don't get with the plastic drop-in...

Old 05-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by roger200x
Its not people SEEING your inside of yoru bed, under the liner....its what YOU DONT SEE. Under that drop-in you have debris (dirt, metal, screws, rocks, etc) and water (if you USE your truck at all that is ) and it will scratch the paint off down to the metal and it will rust out under there.

BTW, I've decided to go with the Line-X liner for $465 over the Rhino for $430. The only reason is I haul so much crap that I'll ruin the softer Rhino TuffGrip liners really fast. I would LIKE to get one though because I like the better non-slip properties....

Well Pagenew, thanks for the advice, and everyone else too....

I have to drive 45 miles to get to my Line-X dealer...the Rhino is like miles away lol. But, Pagenew...if it sux...I'm coming after you! lol J/K

The Line-X is way thinner (1/8 inch) vs the 1/4 inch Rhino, but the line-X is tougher. It's all in what you are going to use it for I guess. Since Im going to abuse it Im going Line-X....

Ill post pics when its done...they are a long time coming (pics of my truck).... my crappy cell phone pic of my truck in my sig really doesnt do it justice...

Roger
I really believe you will not be disappointed with the spray-in...

Also, The guy who did mine removed all the truck bed bolts and tailgate panel screws before spraying. He said that it really helps if the bed needs to be removed for any reason (accident or whatever).

Take it easy!

Last edited by Pagnew; 05-08-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Exclamation

Ive got an appointment tomorrow (Saturday) at 11:00 AM @ the line-X shop. Anything I want to be sure to ask for or about while I'm there?

Roger

Old 05-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Can't think of anything not mentioned above -

http://www.linex.com/Primary/How%20Its%20Sprayed.aspx

Good luck and hope it works out for you...

Old 05-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Just found out that 2009 Super Duties have a 'factory' spray-in liner option - pretty cool!

It'll be called 'Tough Bed'

Notice how the bed bolts are uncoated to help in case of bed removal.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:53 PM
I don't believe there is a perfect liner for your situation. If you buy a hard drop in liner, it will protect against dents. Water will get in but the ribbed design is supposed to prevent moisture from accumulating. With a spray in liner, water will not get in between the liner and the bed, but throwing wood at a soft spray on liner may leave deep dents and scratches.

Last edited by Rambo; 05-10-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ive got dents and chunks missing with line-x. but then, when a dana 44 complete from hub to hub with leafs starts getting dragged out the back of the truck, i expect marks lol

Old 05-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Klitch
ive got dents and chunks missing with line-x. but then, when a dana 44 complete from hub to hub with leafs starts getting dragged out the back of the truck, i expect marks lol
Chunks? Man, I'd talk to your Line-X dealer. Scarps and maybe gouges, but 'chunks' - Yikes!

Old 05-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I had the drop-in-liner out of my 98 right before I sold it last year. It was in there since new.......there was no rust or problems that the "spray in lovers" talk about. Yes it was scratched under there, but who cares??

When I bought my 05, I had to take the 2 year old drop-in out because the previous owner put it in over the tie-downs. It looked amazingly good under there. The paint was all still intact, and the guy used the truck to clean up construction sites.

There is nothing wrong with drop-ins, unless your the (((((PROUD))))) owner of a spray-in.

I like the look of line-x, but that doesn't mean a drop-in will ruin your truck.

Quick Reply: Spray in Bedliner vs Plastic