F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Spray in Bedliner vs Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spray in Bedliner vs Plastic

Well, the time has arisen and I need to to the bedliner thing. I forgot to have it included in my deal until after signing.....this truck was a nightmare for paperwork for some reason...

Anyways, I've never had a spray in bedliner before, Ive always had them put in the Ford plastic ones...I've never kept a new truck more than a year, so I dont know what they do under there (bedliner) to the paint/bed.

What I need to know is $429 for a Rhino Liner a good deal? Also, what are your opinions of them?

I am going to be hauling a *****load of wood this year in the bed and a pulling a trailer. Isa spray in going to hold up to wood being thrown in all summer?

I have absolutely NO experience with the spray in liners...so all info/comments/thoughts are welcome and helpful!

Roger

Old 05-04-2008, 12:51 AM
If you're going to be throwing wood into the back the spray-in will not protect your bed from dents. My father in law's f350 bed looks terrible. I've used a plastic liner for years with no problems. Something I do is to put a rubber mat on top of the liner. This keeps stuff from sliding around and gives some rebound to things being thrown in. I haul around 20 loads/year of oak and hickory in my truck and have never had any problems , at all. You can find drop-in liners cheap. I paid $105 for my liner and $30 for the mat 10 years ago in my present truck. You might not find it that cheap now, but you can beat $429 to death. Best of luck to you.
Rich

Old 05-04-2008, 08:10 AM
I did not choose a plastic bedliner for two reasons: it traps debris and water between the bed and liner and it can get loose and rattle some. Sure you may eleviate some dents because of the plastic but here's what I did...

I have the Line-X liner (spray in) and it's great. It basically keeps road noise down, no bed rattles, no corrosion issues, lifetime guarantee, and it still looks great after 2.5 years of work and outdoor exposure. True the spray -in's don't eliminate dents as well as the plastic deals, but you want to help eliminate dents on the floor just put in a heavy rubber mat and that will do the trick. I use my bed for all kinds of duties, wood included.

Is it worth the $600 (long bed)...for me, yes, as I expect to have my truck for 10 years +.

Anway - hope it works out for ya whatever you choose....nice truck BTW!

Last edited by Pagnew; 05-04-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Wow! $429 and $600 seems steep. I got mine done for $299 on a previous truck and my buddy got his done for $220 about a month ago.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:17 PM
I bought a drop-in bedliner and two bed mats. One bed mat went under the bedliner and one is on top. The bottom one keeps the plastic bedliner from rattling and scratching the bed of the truck. The top bed mat keeps the stuff in the bed from sliding around. The whole "bedliner sandwich" cost about $200 and is about an inch and a half thick. Nothing is going to dent my bed.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
I bought a drop-in bedliner and two bed mats. One bed mat went under the bedliner and one is on top. The bottom one keeps the plastic bedliner from rattling and scratching the bed of the truck. The top bed mat keeps the stuff in the bed from sliding around. The whole "bedliner sandwich" cost about $200 and is about an inch and a half thick. Nothing is going to dent my bed.

Still...you may want to remove the liners every now and then to keep the moisture build up from possible water corrosion...

Blown2run: Was that in the bed of a Red Ryder wagon? That's ahelluva deal for Rhino or Line-X (top-of-the line spray-ins) if that's what it is - lucky you & your buddy!

Last edited by Pagnew; 05-04-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Pagnew

Blown2run: Was that in the bed of a Red Ryder wagon? That's ahelluva deal for Rhino or Line-X (top-of-the line spray-ins) if that's what it is - lucky you & your buddy!
Those are actual costs around my area. Current truck had it already installed, reason why I didn't have to do it. Works great.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Line-X all the way

nothing will protect a bed from dents when you are dropping cinder blocks, wood from a distance. Anything that would dent your truck is going to dent it regardless of what is there.

My line-X with Xtra

My new box, got done this past weekend, also with Xtra on it.

I will get dog-piled for this comment but I don't care. Those Dualliners or what ever they are called....sorry but those things just look cheap and crappy. Lipstick on a pig if you ask me. Its still a "drop in". I am sure they work just fine but all I hear from those guys is how stuff doesn't slide. You sill get debris under it and it has to be removed to clean it....no thanks. Get it done right the first time.

Last edited by RollingRock; 05-04-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by Blown2run
Those are actual costs around my area. Current truck had it already installed, reason why I didn't have to do it. Works great.
Wow! So those are the costs for a Rhino or Line-X. I thought that pricing was comparable (fair) nationwide. I mean around 40% less or more doesn't seem comparable....

Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan were all the same when I price quoted before I had mine done...

As mentioned - lucky y'all!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:15 PM
We have had those plastic bed liners and spray in. The plastic liner scratched the bed up and it looked like crap under the plastic liner. Dirt and crap gets caught under there. I like the spray in bed liner. If you get the right spray in they will last forever and work really well. Just get the right brand.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 PM
So, what about the rhino liners? Anyone gotten one done or know someone who has? The only thing local is rhino here.... thats prolly why the guy is so high...but on the internet Ive been seeing $400 as well....

I really wish this was easier sometimes.... I dont want to get boned on the price,and I want to make sure its a good product if I do decide to just bend over and bite the bullet.....

Thanks for the advice so far...

Side note: Im going with the spray in regardless of brand, becasue I scratched the absolute F**K outta my bed now hauling 1000' of fence and posts.... Now im roped into the spray in which is ok with me - I dont want dirt and water eating my bed away.

ANYMORE advice is welcome!!

Thanks guys!
Roger

Old 05-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i opted for taking the dents in the inside of the bed... its a TRUCK! i dont want it to rust.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm a Line-X guy...I like it!

My friend has Rhino...he likes it!

Honestly - BOTH make a great product

If I were to do it again I'd still go with Line-X

Old 05-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks Pagenew! Im going to look for a Line-X "dealer" around here before jumping to the Rhino....

Roger

Old 05-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Research:

Thus far Ive found that the Rhino Liner TuffGrip Liner is a softer liner than the LineX or the RhinoLiner HardLine.

The Rhino Liner TuffGrip provides a more non-slip surface than any other liner out there - based on on opinions from others and dealers. This goes on between 3/16 and 1/4 inch thick. Mostly 1/4 thick on the bed floor and 3/16 on the bed sides, etc. The Rhino HardLine goes on about 1/8 inch thick. I was told the Line-X was very close to the 1/8 inch area too. I was unable to get ahold of the local Line-X dealer to confirm this. The softer liner obviously means better grip, but it tears easier. However, the harder liners CAN (not will) all crack or break if something is thrown in hard and puts a dent in it - where the softer are more forgiving. "The Harder liners dont provide the "cushion" that the TuffGrip does." -local dealer. I was also TOLD that the Rhino Liner Tuff Grip uses between 4.5 and 6.5 gallons of product where the Hardline and Line-X use around 2.5 gallons.

I am basing these findings based on actual facts, opinions of dealers, and opinions of others. (not my personal experience.)

If anyone want to add to this or contest this, please do. This is not an argument, but simply a "research project" if you will.

The purpose of this is to educate anyone else who, like ME, did not know crap about spray in bedliners. I hope that someone else can benefit from my findings, the opinions and experiences of the members of this great forum, and the advice Ive obtained from 2 different local dealers, as well as some direct customers if these dealers. Side note: My dad and I sued to work at a Ford dealer and we sent MANY trucks to get RhinoLined and never had one customer come back or complain. - Just another fact for thought.... Im NOT implying that Line-X is a bad liner, Ive heard GREAT thigns about them - I am thinking though that the Rhino prove itself a more diverse liner and excel with more overall use (tough, non-skid, less dents) instead of just holding up and appearing cosmetically better.

Thanks,

Roger

This is what makes the forum great...so many people willign to give their experience and advice. Thanks to all who have thus far!

Comments/suggestions??

Last edited by roger200x; 05-06-2008 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Spray in Bedliner vs Plastic