F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Update on "wheel hop"...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on "wheel hop"...

Well after three replaced tires and roadforce balancing, my tires were still "hoping" around 40-70 mph. I took it into my own hands to do some research. The topic of hub-centric and lug-centric came up in my searches. I figured out if you have a lug-centric rim which I do, on a Hub centric truck which I also do, that you need to tighten the lugs differently. I looked up how to do it and went out to my truck and did it myself. The truck's hop is just about gone now, with only a little hop around 50 mph. So...just a reminder, find out which kind of rim you have and make sure they know how to tighten a rim onto a truck! One more thing...anyone ever have this issue with the Gorilla brand lug nuts?

Old 06-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Suspended
I've never heard of problems with gorilla lugs.

What is the special lug tightening method you used? I always go in the star pattern, figured that was good for everything.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:39 PM
The "special" sequence should be tighten in a star pattern in 3-4 torque phases. I thought this was all common knowledge when going to lug centric wheels. When I put mine on I usually go in 50 lb/ft increments until I reach 150 lb/ft.

Since you no longer have the wheel center keeping the wheel concentric to the hub it can be slightly off center when you torque up your first lug nut. When you tighten the rest they too are slightly off center. When you drive it they then "recenter" and allow for a small amount of movement. This is also why you need to go back through and retorque the lugs a few times every couple thousand mi until they seat fully. This is the whole reason that auto makers went away from lug centric wheels, you can just torque them once and go. The increasing torque allows the remaining lug nuts to help recenter the wheel as the clamp load on the first one isn't so high.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:05 AM
Well as if anyone actually cares or is alive in this thread...I am fed up with 4wheelparts so I took my truck to Discount Tire. And....damn. My right front tire wasnt even balanced from 4WP, there was no wieghts anywhere and it was off super bad. My front left was actualy balanced but the way they did it was off more than the unbalanced right tire. The left rear was actually balanced perfect and the right rear was off considerably and is the tire that is out of round. The guys felt so bad for me they didnt even charge me for anything...so I went out and bought them a case of beer. They found the whole ordeal funny that someone would actually balance tires like this.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Sheesh ~ what an ordeal. So all is good now? It rides good?....you're not going to 'blow up' the truck?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Still have the out of round wheel...it hops less than ever but still annoying. I am looking at getting my tires shaved or something to make them 100% true.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:59 AM
God I can only pray for this whole ordeal to be done with! So...an update on my crappy situation. I took my truck to ORW this time and they have equipment to properly diagnose and kind of wheel problem. They called me and told me that BOTH of my rear tires are out of round! I asked him if he has seen this a lot and he said he hasnt even seen one tire out of round on a truck let alone 2 at the same time. So now I have to take the truck BACK to 4wheelparts and have them replace two more damn tires. I can only think that when they said the replaced 3 tires already they were blowing smoke up my @SS. I am so pissed off with 4wp now I am about to loose it. How hard can it be to find out a tire is bad?!?!?! So once again ill keep everyone updated on here even though nobody is ever in this area of the forum.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I'm having the same problem. Feel free to check the wheel and tire forums. There you can read my thread started on this issue. I have 4 295/70/17 Nitto Grapplers thats got the dreaded wheel hop. After 3 different tire shops trying to balance them, only one realized I have 4 bad tires. I'm sending mine back today. Hopefully they'll come back round....like a tire should be. Good luck with your ordeal! Keep us posted.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Wow, that sucks! Hope you get it all worked out. My Toyo Open Country's are the truest off-road tires I have ever had. They have 17,000 miles on them since they were mounted and balanced and and still look and ride like new.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Would something like Centramatics or Equal tire balancers help? I use both for my OTR truck and get 150K miles out of my steers. They make both for light duty trucks.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:58 AM
I recently just got my rear tires replaced and now they finally ride perfect. The front tires still have a little wobble but its still good. I am stoked this whole ordeal is finally over. Now I can enjoy my truck.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Amen Brother ~ Glad it seems to have 'leveled' out for ya!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Suspended
Enjoyed the read Sorry that it sucked for a while...

Old 08-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Powerstroke73 - in between each of those tightening stages, do you drive the truck? If so, how fast/far? Im getting lug centric wheels delivered today so any help would be great.

Quick Reply: Update on "wheel hop"...