F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

2008 Tuner Question!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Tuner Question!

Is it true that the dealership can tell if you have had a tuner on a 2008 diesel, even if you set the computer back to stock. Thanks, Lewis.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Definitely, Ford has really cracked down on things like tuners etc., there is verbage both in your owners manual as well as on the radiator support providing Ford's position on aftermarket items. Can't say I blame them, if you want to tweak your truck with changes to the OEM programming and something happens directly related to the aftermarket tune etc., it should be on your dime not theirs

Old 07-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by plunds01
Definitely, Ford has really cracked down on things like tuners etc., there is verbage both in your owners manual as well as on the radiator support providing Ford's position on aftermarket items. Can't say I blame them, if you want to tweak your truck with changes to the OEM programming and something happens directly related to the aftermarket tune etc., it should be on your dime not theirs
I disagree with that statement. It should be on the tuners time. If you buy there product and them saying it works 100% and something happens it should them not you the customer. Understanding that you or whoever hooked it up hooked it up properly and to there guidelines.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by skip nay
I disagree with that statement. It should be on the tuners time. If you buy there product and them saying it works 100% and something happens it should them not you the customer. Understanding that you or whoever hooked it up hooked it up properly and to there guidelines.

Not a chance that would ever happen. A tuner can't always take into account every single mod you have done to your truck, or each person's individual driving styles. This is why a custom tuned chip is best because it can come closest to meeting these requirements. With all of these different factors in the mix there is no way a tuner can guarantee that their product is 100% safe. Bottom line, if you start modding your truck and you blow it up you get to pay.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by biglew347
Is it true that the dealership can tell if you have had a tuner on a 2008 diesel, even if you set the computer back to stock. Thanks, Lewis.
There are ways to tell that the PCM's programming has been altered, yes.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Negative. The folks who manufactured the tune didn't hold the owner of the truck at gunpoint and force him to install their program. The owner of the truck purchased the program and is now running the truck outside of the factory parameters. Tuner companies test and try to come up with stuff that works and doesn't blow the engine up, but every truck and every situation is a rule unto itself. If you blow your diesel up with a tuner, well, you gotta pay to play.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:53 PM
I love threads like this...they just make me laugh.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:58 AM
I don't agree if someone alters or does something stupid they should be held liable. But if you buy a tuner and install like they say and drive it normal or the way you should drive I really do think they should stand behind there product.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:42 PM
I don't agree if someone alters or does something stupid they should be held liable. But if you buy a tuner and install like they say and drive it normal or the way you should drive I really do think they should stand behind there product.
The problem is that there are always going to be those idiots out there that tune the their trucks with the performance tune, then try to tow 15,000 pounds with the truck while tuned.

Ford tunes these engines to be able to handle not only pulling the truck, but also the additional weight of payload or a trailer. That is what makes them "super duty". When you use a tuner on a heavy duty engine, you take all that extra ability that the manufacturer builds in, and you utilize all of it to pull just the truck. The truck is no longer a heavy duty vehicle because it is no longer capable of pulling anything more than itself. While it still may be capable of pulling a lot of weight, the margin of safety is gone and parts start breaking.

The key to successfully tuning a super duty truck is understanding that if you do decide to tow or haul a lot of weight, you need to tune back to stock or to a towing tune before you actually do. It's not rocket science, but unfortunately the average intelligence of guys who drive trucks seems to be well below the norm.

The biggest mistake that most people make with tuners is that they tune the truck back to stock 15 minutes before they take the truck to the dealer for service. Tuning back to stock also clears any engine/transmission codes as well as anything that the ECU/TCU has "learned" over the past few weeks of driving. Those codes could have helped the dealer find the problem, but you cleared them all out right before you drove to the dealer. Don't you see how that would **** off the diesel tech working on your truck?

The decision to tune or not tune can be a difficult one and should not be taken lightly. That decision should not be based on the ranting of the "chicken littles" of the world either. Make the decision based upon how much you can afford to spend if a problem does arise and how much risk you are willing to take. Some of the "chicken littles" really are afraid. Some of the "chicken littles" just hate to see anyone doing something that they are afraid to do themselves.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I was considering getting a flash tuner, but now really reconsiderng it. I sure don't want to do anything that would void my warranty. Thanks, Lewis.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Thankyou for what you wrote. You are being totally honest. I just don't always agree with stuff. I haven't been down the road but my best friend had a tuner plugged right in. Did everything the directions said. Read all directions first. Basicly it cost him a tow, lost of warranty and a brand new computer that he had to pay for at the dealership so it was a bunch of money. I think he is still fighting with them but I'm not sure. That is all I know basicly. I was ticked off and it wasn't even my car.

Originally Posted by freekyFX4
The problem is that there are always going to be those idiots out there that tune the their trucks with the performance tune, then try to tow 15,000 pounds with the truck while tuned.

Ford tunes these engines to be able to handle not only pulling the truck, but also the additional weight of payload or a trailer. That is what makes them "super duty". When you use a tuner on a heavy duty engine, you take all that extra ability that the manufacturer builds in, and you utilize all of it to pull just the truck. The truck is no longer a heavy duty vehicle because it is no longer capable of pulling anything more than itself. While it still may be capable of pulling a lot of weight, the margin of safety is gone and parts start breaking.

The key to successfully tuning a super duty truck is understanding that if you do decide to tow or haul a lot of weight, you need to tune back to stock or to a towing tune before you actually do. It's not rocket science, but unfortunately the average intelligence of guys who drive trucks seems to be well below the norm.

The biggest mistake that most people make with tuners is that they tune the truck back to stock 15 minutes before they take the truck to the dealer for service. Tuning back to stock also clears any engine/transmission codes as well as anything that the ECU/TCU has "learned" over the past few weeks of driving. Those codes could have helped the dealer find the problem, but you cleared them all out right before you drove to the dealer. Don't you see how that would **** off the diesel tech working on your truck?

The decision to tune or not tune can be a difficult one and should not be taken lightly. That decision should not be based on the ranting of the "chicken littles" of the world either. Make the decision based upon how much you can afford to spend if a problem does arise and how much risk you are willing to take. Some of the "chicken littles" really are afraid. Some of the "chicken littles" just hate to see anyone doing something that they are afraid to do themselves.
My mind says yes to tune it just to get better gas mileage but my mind also tells me that I need my warranty until it's paid off. I guess I will have to wait and see what happens. Maybe a suspension lift instead but I liked the tuner the best.

Last edited by skip nay; 07-06-2008 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Tuner Question!