F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Differences in diesel fuels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differences in diesel fuels?

Are there any differences in fuels between what a 18 wheeler uses and say a 01 GMC Duramax at a regular station? Alot of times it's cheaper at Pilot's, Flying hooks (J) and TA's etc. Or, are all diesels pretty much the same? I was asked this question and figured it would all be the same, am I right to assume this?

Old 07-17-2008, 12:15 PM
It's all the same. The only difference is with LSD and ULSD. Pretty soon all diesel will be ULSD. I try to buy my diesel from stations that sell a lot of diesel. Stations that sell less diesel tend to have more water in their diesel tanks and I just don't trust them.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:33 PM
OK, cool, I figured as much. I've heard of red or dyed diesel for farms etc, or diesel 1/ or diesel 2, but havent seen the labelled 1/2 in a while. All I hear is the ULSD which I can't stand the smell of. Old diesel smells better. A friend had asked me what's the diff, so basically just price. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:01 PM
The reason you see fuel cheaper on the advertising signs for Loves, Pilot, etc is that is the cash price. If you look close you'll see it states cash and credit prices.

As Freaky said the fuel itself is the same, but not all diesel is the same.

#1 diesel is thinner and is run in the winter time. The gel point is much lower than regular #2. Most places start blending #1 and #2 in the fall and go through early spring. You will notice in winter months that your fuel economy drops. This is due in part to the #1 diesel.

#2 diesel is on average warm weather fuel. The cetane rating is higher, but the gel point is also much higher. The lubricity of this is also slightly better.

ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) is what is available in almost all of the market place now, and within the next couple of years will be the only diesel you can buy. It is listed as having 15ppm (parts per million) of sulfur which is what gives diesel is lubricity. Its also what makes LSD and HSD smell slightly different.

LSD (Low Sulfur Diesel) is very difficult to find now at fuel stations, but is a little more common in the offroad industry. This is diesel with 15ppm to 500ppm. Fuel economy will be a little higher with this fuel.

HSD (High Sulfur Diesel) on average is not available at fuel stations. Now it is almost exclusively offroad fuel, and even then it is getting much harder to come by. This is fuel with over 500ppm.

If you notice most of the fuel is dyed different colors. This is done for tax reasons. If the dye was not added it will be completely clear. Green dye is added for on-road fuel to signify that road taxes have been paid on it. Red dyed diesel is all off-highway use. This would be construction and farming. There are no taxes paid on this as these types of companies are exempt, so the fuel is cheaper. If you get caught running this fuel on the road you will pay some very hefty fines ($10k+) and be under much closer scrutiny from the IRS. The charge for running red fuel is tax evasion, and since it is federal road taxes that are being paid you are looking at federal jurisdiction.

There you go, a quick diesel fuel in a nut shell run-down.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
The reason you see fuel cheaper on the advertising signs for Loves, Pilot, etc is that is the cash price. If you look close you'll see it states cash and credit prices.

As Freaky said the fuel itself is the same, but not all diesel is the same.

#1 diesel is thinner and is run in the winter time. The gel point is much lower than regular #2. Most places start blending #1 and #2 in the fall and go through early spring. You will notice in winter months that your fuel economy drops. This is due in part to the #1 diesel.

#2 diesel is on average warm weather fuel. The cetane rating is higher, but the gel point is also much higher. The lubricity of this is also slightly better.

ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) is what is available in almost all of the market place now, and within the next couple of years will be the only diesel you can buy. It is listed as having 15ppm (parts per million) of sulfur which is what gives diesel is lubricity. Its also what makes LSD and HSD smell slightly different.

LSD (Low Sulfur Diesel) is very difficult to find now at fuel stations, but is a little more common in the offroad industry. This is diesel with 15ppm to 500ppm. Fuel economy will be a little higher with this fuel.

HSD (High Sulfur Diesel) on average is not available at fuel stations. Now it is almost exclusively offroad fuel, and even then it is getting much harder to come by. This is fuel with over 500ppm.

If you notice most of the fuel is dyed different colors. This is done for tax reasons. If the dye was not added it will be completely clear. Green dye is added for on-road fuel to signify that road taxes have been paid on it. Red dyed diesel is all off-highway use. This would be construction and farming. There are no taxes paid on this as these types of companies are exempt, so the fuel is cheaper. If you get caught running this fuel on the road you will pay some very hefty fines ($10k+) and be under much closer scrutiny from the IRS. The charge for running red fuel is tax evasion, and since it is federal road taxes that are being paid you are looking at federal jurisdiction.

There you go, a quick diesel fuel in a nut shell run-down.
I knew you would give us the real education on diesel. Thanks for all the info. You are definitely the most knowledgeable diesel guy on this site and a great source of information!

Old 07-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
POWERSTROKE:
So ULSD gives us the cruddiest mpgs? kinda like blending ethanol with gasoline?

(i'm new to the diesel scene and am trying to bridge my knowledge gap)

Old 07-18-2008, 02:50 PM
#1 ULSD will be the worst, #2 HSD will be the best.

If you see LSD for sale then run that, but most stations are in compliance with the fuel emissions standards so they don't carry anything but ULSD.

As a side note, an additional fuel type that may be seen is "Premium Diesel". This is nothing more than diesel that carries a higher cetane rating. Its the same as everything else otherwise. I've only ever seen it at one station.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm going to do my best to keep this on topic. What is Cetane? I hear the term alot. I think i've seen "cetane boost" at the auto parts shop.

Does ULSD really reduce emissions that much? My truck has that diesel particulate filter that traps all of the crud coming out of the exhaust, the regens and burns it all up. I know that this helps clean up emissions, but does running and mandating ULSD really help?

One difference I have noticed is that the truck runs quieter and doesnt smell like a diesel truck persay.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by tnsilverfx4
I'm going to do my best to keep this on topic. What is Cetane? I hear the term alot. I think i've seen "cetane boost" at the auto parts shop.

Does ULSD really reduce emissions that much? My truck has that diesel particulate filter that traps all of the crud coming out of the exhaust, the regens and burns it all up. I know that this helps clean up emissions, but does running and mandating ULSD really help?

One difference I have noticed is that the truck runs quieter and doesnt smell like a diesel truck persay.
Do you have any pictures of your '08?

Old 07-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Cetane is the measure of the amount of energy in the fuel. Its basically the equivalent of the octane rating system for gas.

Yes reducing the amount of sulphur in the fuel does reduce the overall amount of particulate that is emitted.

I didn't notice before that you had an 08 truck. You can't run LSD in yours. If you do you will plug your DPF, and if Ford finds LSD in the system they can void your warranty. They wrote it into the warranty for the new trucks that they must run ULSD. If you notice the ULSD pumps say that it must be used in 2007 and newer trucks. 2007 6.0L trucks can run LSD, but the 6.4L is a whole other story.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Though I am not a diesel guy I have to say I am learning alot from Powerstroke73 (especially since I decided to go with Bilsteins per his recommendation and others ~ great shock for my truck!)

Last edited by Pagnew; 07-23-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Freeky- there are two pics in my gallery. ITs the black one.

POwerstroke- You are the man. Thanks for the info and clarification. This thing is a blast to drive! Six speed and dual turbo, you can really feel it when you step on it. I just wish it got better mileage.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Yes, they do move. I've had mine since February of last year and hauled a trailer up through eastern Colorado and couldn't find a bit of ULSD at that time. Not using it really tanks the mileage numbers. If I keep my foot way off the pedal the gas mileage improves a lot. For instance I can float around 18 mpg on a good highway. (Good is relative, smooth concrete shows the best numbers) otherwise 16 mpg. I can stay above 14 mpg in town if I take of really easy and keep the RPMs below 2k as well as the turbo below the first mark.

The dually with 4.10s though aren't the best for fuel mileage anyway. LOL.

Quick Reply: Differences in diesel fuels?