F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

2003 F350 has me stumped....

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 F350 has me stumped....

A friend at work has a 2003 F350 6.0L Turbo Diesel and he has a no power issue. This problem has us stumped and cant figure out what it could especially because it is throwing NO codes. We thought it might have been the MAF since we cleaned it and the truck ran a little better but now its back to its previous state. The only mod he has done is a Volant CAI.

Its out of warranty now and had the ICP replaced a couple times and the turbo and EGR were also replaced under warranty a while back. He drives it mostly on the highway so i wouldn’t think carbon buildup.

Now here is the problem. Truck starts quickly when cold but has no power at all and a rough idle. Now when the truck is hot the truck cranks slow and doesn’t want to start and it still has no power. He still has an oil leak on the left side of the motor in the rear so he thinks it might be the ICP but hasn’t had a chance to track it down yet. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Does it sound more injector / ICP / turbo / or EGR related? We cant tell since there are no codes. Maybe someone with more experience than us with these motors could help me out.

Might be a dumb question but could a regular OBDII/OBDI scanner read a diesel computer. I have a fairly new Autoxray scanner with a lot of features; will this work on diesels or is there a special tool/scanner?

Sorry bout the long post just want to make sure Ive made it as clear as possible.
Thanks
John

Old 10-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our snap on modis worked on the 6.0 for me. It'll work on anything as far as i know. I'm not familiar with the autoxray, does it have engine monitoring and such on it?

I had one similar and it ended up being injectors and the fuel pump. Not saying that's what it is just an idea

zzair or powerstoke should be able to help you out more. I'm slowly learning about diesels. They're alot different from has

Old 10-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Yeah on my scanner you can look at engine operational data, freeze frame, readiness monitors, and some other tests. The snap-on Modis is sweet - great tool. I guess Ill just wait for him to bring his truck down and connect it to see if it works.

Now with the Modis could you graph the injector waveform or pulse width? How did you determine it was a bad injector(s)?

Yeah I’m learning diesels now as well. There is a lot to learn but its good stuff.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by bxstang2000
Yeah on my scanner you can look at engine operational data, freeze frame, readiness monitors, and some other tests. The snap-on Modis is sweet - great tool. I guess Ill just wait for him to bring his truck down and connect it to see if it works.

Now with the Modis could you graph the injector waveform or pulse width? How did you determine it was a bad injector(s)?

Yeah I’m learning diesels now as well. There is a lot to learn but its good stuff.
Yeah the modis can do anything. Literally. How much is the autoxray, though? I've been looking for a personal scanner.. been looking at the solus and ethos

But honestly I couldn't tell you. I got frustrated and had a friend from a dealer that sees diesels alot more often come look at it. He knew after about an hour what was wrong with it.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:10 PM
I have the Autoxray 6000 and its been great so far. It has a decent amount of features for the price. I bought it a couple years back for around $400 but now on ebay new Ive see them for around $300. I hope I could update the program since the last year in the scanner is 05.

Ant ideas on the F350 issue??

Old 10-16-2008, 09:33 PM
That's not bad at all

but sorry i can't help

pm ZAAIR or powerstroke73. They should be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction

Old 10-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Well he had an ICP to install and after he installed it the truck didn’t start at all. So I was able to hook my Xcal3 up to the truck and it wasn’t getting any injector pulse. We troubleshooted for a while and when you pushed down the harness for the IPR sensor the truck would fire right up. So we figured since the plug for the IPR was a little loose that was the problem. After installing the ICP and IPR the truck ran great.

Power was back and starting was good hot and cold. He was 30 miles form home and the trucks shut down. The only other thing it could be is the Injector module or the harness. Now he called Ford and they replace both the sensor and harness when they do this job. We looked at a Motorcraft pigtail connector chart and didn’t find the right pigtail. Its crazy you need to replace the whole engine harness for one pigtail?? Just thought I'd update this incase anyone else has this problem. We were going to try and find a pigtail somewhere and that will be it. Also wanted to double check if the IPR could be ohmed out couldnt find a spec? Anyone know if this is true?

Last edited by bxstang2000; 10-25-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 2003 F350 has me stumped....