F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

First truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First truck

Hey, so i'm 16 and going for my license in a few weeks and i already have my dad's '99 F350 turbo diesel. I was wondering what type of mods i could put in it on a relatively small budget. Any ideas???

Old 10-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by fxmdude
Hey, so i'm 16 and going for my license in a few weeks and i already have my dad's '99 F350 turbo diesel. I was wondering what type of mods i could put in it on a relatively small budget. Any ideas???
Just enjoy 'driving' legally and safely for awhile...

Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
Just enjoy 'driving' legally and safely for awhile...
I agree with Pagnew on this as well enjoy your truck as it is right now. Diesels and trucks in general are expensive to repair when you break something. If you really want to do something to the truck order a muffler delete pipe for your exhaust. Its a relativly cheap and harmless mod for your truck.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fxmdude
At 16, unless you've got a real nice part time job, I'd think about the biggest mod you could afford would be keeping that gas tank full!

Seriously though, don't spend your money modding an almost 10 year old truck. Odds are you just need it to last you though college, if you're planning on going. That's six years, at which point your dad's truck will be 15 years old. Save the money you would have spend on mods for a new truck when you graduate!

Biggest key though, be safe and don't do anything stupid. You start getting tickets, or get in a wreck, and any extra money you might have will be spent paying high insurance rates until you're 25.

- NCSU

Old 10-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
First off, it's you Dad's truck still. Secondly, I would first worry about driving that heavy duty piece of machinery around good before trying to make it go faster than it already can go.

Lastly, it's a truck, that weighs more than your friend's Honda Civic that does a blistering 0-60 mph in 10 seconds, and it can rip not only your friend's Honda Civic in half, but you can rip my truck in half, and possibly a deeply rooted oak tree out all at the same time.

So just think of what you already have to play with. 'Cause it's a whole lot more than what other kids your age have.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Suspended
enjoy driving it. lets see some pics of it!!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Relatively small? You could straight pipe it and build a DIY intake for under $100.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Hey thanks for the suggestions/warnings, lol. I'm going for my license this wednesday and i'm pretty pumped. There is another question that i have though. My truck seems to sputter and start to die after it has been run for a little while (around an hour). It runs fine when it first starts up, but then this happens. One of my dad's friends told him that it could be that the fuel tank is dirty and the particles get stirred up when the truck has run for a while, and start to plug up the fuel lines. Does this make sense or is there another reason that is more probable???

Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 PM
I always laugh when someone comes in and says my engine sputters or dies can you tell me why. Sorry but my crystal ball doesn't cover your truck. Maybe Tarot cards would help?

If you have crud big enough to plug those lines then you're sol already. Change the fuel filter and see if that helps, but I doubt thats your problem. First thing to do is get the codes read. Just because its not setting a check engine light doesn't mean there isn't a code being thrown and stored in the PCM. You will have to find a Ford dealer or someone with an NGS scanner. It needs to be able to read enhanced OBDII coding. If your fuel level is low and the condition of the intank pickup has gotten really bad it may be starving for fuel. Beyond that I'd say you're looking at valve cover harnesses or something deeper in the injection system.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Starting with the basics, change the fuel filter and grab a new CPS.

Quick Reply: First truck