F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F250 HID question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F250 HID question

So I am a little confused.

06 F250's have a single H13/9008 bulb...which means that high beams is done through the same bulb right?

So if I wanted HID's would do I need BI Xenon HID's or normal HID's?

If I did the BI Xenon, how do the brights work?

Or do I need brights with HID?

Just a little confused.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:24 AM
the kits for the xenon HID's tell you if they have high beams or not if you get them without when you go to turn your high beams on then they will cut off i have just low beams on my lightning and there plenty bright i can imagine what it would be with high beams

Old 12-05-2008, 12:26 AM
oh yeah and yes the stock bulbs are both high and low beams

Old 12-05-2008, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by MI02SVT
oh yeah and yes the stock bulbs are both high and low beams
Thanks for the input, so is it just an increase in wattage or voltage for the BI Xenons that make them "high" beam?

Old 12-05-2008, 07:58 AM
It makes them "brights" but not high beams. The term "high beam" indicates that the light is actually being cast at a higher angle than the low beams. This is accomplished by the high beam filament being positioned differently than the low beam filament, making the beam higher. In the case of HID's, they are definitely brighter...as long as you don't buy the crappy blue or purple looking ones. The fact that they are always brighter and don't have the cut-off that real HID's have is what makes them illegal. HID's just are not made for the reflector in our headlights, so there will always be a lot of glare. With that said, I am trying to figure out how I can mount HID's in the top parking light section of my headlights...

Old 12-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
HID's just are not made for the reflector in our headlights, so there will always be a lot of glare. With that said, I am trying to figure out how I can mount HID's in the top parking light section of my headlights...

Is that the reason they sell "projector" replacement corners for these HID kits?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm not sure. There are some people on this board who know a lot about HID's. You may get a lot better answers over in the 2004-2008 forum just because there are so many people over there. Sorry.

Trending Topics

Old 12-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
I'm not sure. There are some people on this board who know a lot about HID's. You may get a lot better answers over in the 2004-2008 forum just because there are so many people over there. Sorry.
Thanks, I saw a thread on another site that said that aftermarket HID are not legal. Is that right?

Old 12-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Thanks, I saw a thread on another site that said that aftermarket HID are not legal. Is that right?
Yeah, but then again neither are train horns, and I am getting ready to install one of those!

Some state and local police have started cracking down on HIDs in the areas where they are really popular. In most places, I doubt a cop would even really know what they are.

I hate the idea of giving up my high beams, so I would simply have to do the bi-xenons. Just the thought that flipping the switch to high would shut off the headlights just bothers me. I'm just picky, I guess.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:12 PM
i dont see how there makin HID's illegal when theres alot of cars that come from the factory with HID headlights i think it all depends on your setup and what brightness you get i think i got 6000k blues on my lightning there great bright as you need them in low beams the 8000k HID's are the deeper blue and then you go on to the 9000k or 10000k which are the purple i think the 6000k on your truck would be fine but i think you might have to change out the headlight housing because the HID's burn hotter than regular bulbs or halogen bulbs or if you want you could go the cheap way and go to www.lightbulbs4cars.com and get a set of halogen bulbs for 20 bucks i have them in my 03 and they are way better than stock but HID's are way better than halogen lol

Old 12-06-2008, 02:12 PM
i dont see how there makin HID's illegal when theres alot of cars that come from the factory with HID headlights i think it all depends on your setup
HIDs installed from the factory are the only legal ones.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:47 AM
i think you might have to change out the headlight housing because the HID's burn hotter than regular bulbs or halogen bulbs
I have actually read that HID's do not radiate as much heat as a regular filament bulb.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:43 AM
whered you read that at i would like to read it im pretty sure that HID's burn hotter than other bulbs its not a filament burning inside a bulb its a spark hense the name High Intensity Discharge

Old 12-10-2008, 06:31 PM
whered you read that at i would like to read it im pretty sure that HID's burn hotter than other bulbs its not a filament burning inside a bulb its a spark hense the name High Intensity Discharge
Heat is merely a side effect of a filament bulb. An incandescent bulb loses 98% of the input energy as heat. By contrast, HID lights use less than half the power of an equivalent tungsten-halogen light but give off more light, so a significantly smaller and lighter-weight power supply can be used. More light from less power means that they lose less power as heat, right? Power consumed by a bulb has to go somewhere...ie, heat or light. Power in equals power out, hence a HID bulb should be cooler than an incandecent bulb.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:26 AM

Just in case your question hasn't already been answered, I just installed some 10k h13 Hids on my 06. They are single beam and work fine. When you hit the brights they just shut off. And I'll be honest I don't think you'd ever need dual beam Hids because the single beam is already unbelievably bright.

Quick Reply: F250 HID question