F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Is the 6.0L a good engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the 6.0L a good engine?

It is possible that my dad may buy an F-250 in the near future because we got a 28' boat that his Titan can barely handle. He doesn't want to buy a brand new one, so I suggested a pre-'03 model with the 7.3L, but he said that would be too old.

He found an '05 F-250 XLT FX4 with the 6.0L Powerstroke with 37,000 miles.

My question is in regard to the 6.0L engine. I've heard numerous times about problems with this engine. I can't recall specific examples, but I do know that I've heard it wasn't Ford's greatest achievement. My dad is a lifelong Chevy guy who currently drives a Nissan. I have persuaded him to buy Ford, and I really don't want him to be disappointed with it.

Will my dad regret buying this engine? Have the things I've heard been exaggerated or are there serious issues with it?

Anyone who owns one please feel free to share any problems, likes, or dislikes about the engine.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked mine up ten days ago with 125k on the ticker and she runs great. Although I had the dealer run and OASIS report and CarFax on the truck and they came back clean. Just have your dad do as much research as he can before he buys the truck.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:58 PM
the newer ones didnt have as much problems as the 04s and 03s but some of the 05s have it too, but they have so much power to do anything, btw if you take care of it it should last quite awhile, GL

Old 12-08-2008, 11:33 PM

Here's some tips on buying 6.0s

1. Make sure its still under warranty(less then 100k) looks like the one your Dad is looking at still is

2. Make sure it has NO modifications of any kind.

This is includes wheels, tires, lift and especially engine mods(programmers, intake, exhaust)

When i bought my truck it had an exhaust system and by the looks of it, it definitely had a programmer at one point. About 3 weeks after I bought it my temp gauge went off the scale and it turned out my coolant had completely burned off due to fried head gaskets(because of the programmer) Now luckily for me everything was still under warranty so what would of been a bill for $4000 dollars in repairs only cost me $100 deductible for warranty work.

Don't get me wrong its a great motor that will work its *** off it just needs proper maintenance and I would suggest leaving it stock.

Try this website for tips on buying and maintaining powerstroke motors

Powerstrokehelp.com

Old 12-08-2008, 11:46 PM
The 05 should be a decent motor as long as it is stock and will stay stock. If not, plan on replacing headgaskets, head studs, and EGR.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:49 AM
The truck is completely stock. It's almost boring actually, but still a great truck. Here's a picture of it. This is not the one he's looking at, but I found one on eBay that's exactly the same:

I'm not sure about the engine. I'm going to test drive it tomorrow so I'll pop the hood. I know what I'm looking at for the most part, but how will I be able to tell if there was ever a programmer or chip or anything? I'm pretty sure it was just a daily driver for someone...

Thanks again. I really don't want my dad to be disappointed 'cause all I ever do is babble on about Fords and now I'm finally getting him into one so it has to be right.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:37 AM

9 times out a 10 a stock truck with no signs of any mods has never had a programmer. You may also want to do a carfax report or an Oasis report would be best.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Look for the standard signs... Exhaust, intake, and gauges. If it has any of those, chances are it has been tuned in its life.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Location: Greensboro, NC but goin to State so now its Raleigh
Theyre right those are the signs to look for on a truck. A tuner is one of the quickest easiest ways to get alot of power out of a diesel and bundle packsages happen with diesels guys go for the big three most of the time exhaust intake chip and guys get all three or nothin at all. But the 6.0 is a nice motor but it had issues when they first came out with it. It gives great power and can be built into a total monster of an engine which is a little more difficult with the 7.3. That bein said im partial to the 7.3 cause thats what my dads got in a 2001 F-350 and for most of its 300,000 miles its pulled 17,000 gooseneck trailers for a metal fabriacation company. The 7.3 is the tougher motor just cant kill the thing just like the 5.9 Cummins but if you want more power and torque go with the 6.0 but the 7.3 wont disappoint in that catagory either. My vote is 7.3 over 6.0 ( or that 5.9 cummins i gotta buddy puttin like 800 hp outta his but it aint a Ford so thats a negative on that) just my .02 on the subject.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Location: Greensboro, NC but goin to State so now its Raleigh
Oh and the 7.3 gives a nicer sound in my opinion. And i know ur dad doesnt want old but older can be better but the 6.0 is coil sprung up front the older trucks are leaf sprung at least the 4x4s are.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:04 PM
get the vin number and get a dealer to provide you an oasis report.

Some of the issues with late 03-04's and some 05's were Head Gaskets, EGR issues, Turbos, head studs, and the mystery oil leak.

Most were worked out by 05 and with that low of miles I suspect that truck was used a s TV...does it have rails or a GN hitch in the bed?

Others have already told you the things to look for but what I posted are the isses that you reqeusted.

The best place to get info on the 6.0 is thedieselstop or this guy, he knows his stuff but he is a little goofy.
http://www.powerstrokehelp.com/default.asp

Old 12-11-2008, 10:51 PM
The 6.0L was a good to me. I never owned one but I made a fortune fixing them!

That's true, but all jokes aside I would buy one if it was an 05 and up. I love the way they drive when they are working good. And knowing them like I do they don't really scare me at all. Head gaskets are a big issue and I used to change a bunch of injectors and turbos. But if you take care of them they can be alright. Good advise above regarding the signs of chipping. If I was going to chip one I'd put in head studs and probably delete the EGR cooler etc.

Anyway that's behind me now. Now I work on Cummins.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
I just picked mine up ten days ago with 125k on the ticker and she runs great. Although I had the dealer run and OASIS report and CarFax on the truck and they came back clean. Just have your dad do as much research as he can before he buys the truck.
That's good to hear. I'm 90% sure I'm pulling the trigger on an '05, black lariat 4x4 with 115K on her. I test drove it tonight and it's smooth as butter. Completely stock, too. Clean carfax and oasis report too. I don't mind high mileage so much when it's put on it a short period of time. The truck was first sold in Jan 2005. I am a little nervous though, I won't lie. Let's hope for the best!!

Old 12-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Well, I drove the truck and was highly impressed. It's completely stock and in mint condition.

It had a tonneau cover on it, which tells me the guy didn't haul much with it. It also only had a Class III (5,000 lb. capacity) hitch under it, which tells me it didn't tow much. I'm assuming, anyway.

So far so good. Thanks.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 AM
I have a 2005 F-250 6.0 Diesel crew cab 4x4 with 80,000 miles and im the second owner. I bought it from an olderly man at 50,000 miles and this truck has never towed but once. The engine has amazing power at stock. I want to add an exhaust system from Banks is that good or bad? Im not going to add a chip at all or an intake system i just want the exhaust. What do yawl suggest?

Quick Reply: Is the 6.0L a good engine?