F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Towing/hauling with a lift in a 3/4 ton

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I have seen these trucks are a crap shoot no matter how many miles are on them and how they are used or cared for. I love my truck and wont drive anything else at this point but my truck has a clean OASIS and the truck towed on a regular basis and the turbo is clean as can be and the turbo is getting replaced at 127K because they cant figure out why it keeps sticking. The EGR at 23K is probably a sign it has idled quite a bit and it never was run hard enough to burn the soot out of it. When you drive the truck look at the hour meter and see how many engine hours are on it. My truck with 127k has about 2700 hours on it and the truck probably never idled very long.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
From what I have seen these trucks are a crap shoot no matter how many miles are on them and how they are used or cared for. I love my truck and wont drive anything else at this point but my truck has a clean OASIS and the truck towed on a regular basis and the turbo is clean as can be and the turbo is getting replaced at 127K because they cant figure out why it keeps sticking. The EGR at 23K is probably a sign it has idled quite a bit and it never was run hard enough to burn the soot out of it. When you drive the truck look at the hour meter and see how many engine hours are on it. My truck with 127k has about 2700 hours on it and the truck probably never idled very long.
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check the hour meter. I'd be driving this truck back and forth between southeastern Minnesota and northwestern Montana (1400 miles each way) four or times a year. Is that sufficient to burn the soot out of it if I wasn't pulling a heavy load?

Old 01-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by ChezHed
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check the hour meter. I'd be driving this truck back and forth between southeastern Minnesota and northwestern Montana (1400 miles each way) four or times a year. Is that sufficient to burn the soot out of it if I wasn't pulling a heavy load?
Just dont be easy on the skinny pedal and you should be ok. There are others with more experience than me that can probably elaborate some more.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:16 PM
check out some powerstroke forums. there will be far fewer people trying to steer you away from a 6.0. most will say go for it if the oasis is clean. the biggest thing is that you cant baby it. thats when things go wrong on those 6.0s.

Quick Reply: Towing/hauling with a lift in a 3/4 ton