F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

2011 ford superduty

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009 | 02:12 AM
When towing, it is generally agreed upon that automatics are safer and can tow heavier loads. Why would anyone buy a Super Duty, which is typically used for towing, and limit the towing capacity by choosing a transmission that can't tow as much and is not as safe while towing? Ford has put manual transmissions in the Super Duty in the past, but all but the die-hard manual guys are smart enough to go with the automatic. If you look at the percentage of 08-09 Super Duty's that were sold with a manual transmission, I am sure that the number is very small. Small enough that Ford decided that it was not worth it to build them with a manual transmission.

PS - Or, maybe Ford had problems mating a manual transmission to the Scorpion and decided to scrap it. With the automatic transmission, the ECM and TCM have a lot of control over everything, including cutting power prior to shifts. With the kind of torque that the diesel engines make, it is quite possible to tear up a clutch on a manual transmission in very short order.

Old 02-20-2009 | 09:58 AM
|
they better not call it a scorpion cuz thats crap, but i've heard the powerstroke name was fords so maybe they'll call it that of something cool like powertorq or superstroke hahahaha

Old 02-21-2009 | 01:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor
It has nothing to do with power of the engine. Todays manual transmissions can handle twice the torque even the best automatic can put out.

If you look at the power loss in terms of heat, automatics are king for generating waste energy as heat energy.

Ever touch a manual transmission after some serious towing? I can guarantee it's much cooler than any automatic will ever run.

Plus the clutch... the synthetic clutches that are made today are a far cry from what they were years ago.

I personally think that the demise is merely because big business wants to control us, which is what we are allowing. The auto industry has paralleled it's way by offering luxury. Being in America supposedly means you need to live that so called "American Dream", which is luxury. Hence why things are being outsourced, inflation issues, and most importantly the freedoms.

I think it's wrong what Ford is doing. Despite sales, it does not hurt them to have it. Being big business, they essentially need to offer variety. Like I said, it's all going to turn around, and one day, when you need a truck, you'll be told what to get or else there will be 1 style and that is it -- take it or leave it type of deal.

Besides... I don't see why American auto manufacturers want to compete with foreign companies like Nissan, Toyota, and the rest of them. Like the new designs of Ford's cars... they are so European like it's not funny.

It makes me sick to my stomach that America tries to be a copy cat of some of these under-developed countries.

Well... looks like I'll be keeping my truck for a long time.

Old 02-21-2009 | 02:04 AM
wow thats soon for a 2011. it looks sooo toough

Old 02-21-2009 | 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
When towing, it is generally agreed upon that automatics are safer and can tow heavier loads.
Maybe for a truck in our class, but not for the big boy semi's (but were not talkin' those I suppose...don't smack me too hard Freeky )

Last edited by Pagnew; 02-21-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2009 | 09:22 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I personally think that the demise is merely because big business wants to control us, which is what we are allowing. The auto industry has paralleled it's way by offering luxury. Being in America supposedly means you need to live that so called "American Dream", which is luxury. Hence why things are being outsourced, inflation issues, and most importantly the freedoms.
Easily the dumbest conspiracy theory I've ever heard. This isn't some monopolistic entity that has the ability to force products upon us- it is a company facing fierce competition in a free market. What you are suggesting makes NO SENSE AT ALL WHAT SO EVER.

I think it's wrong what Ford is doing. Despite sales, it does not hurt them to have it. Being big business, they essentially need to offer variety. Like I said, it's all going to turn around, and one day, when you need a truck, you'll be told what to get or else there will be 1 style and that is it -- take it or leave it type of deal.
Is that why Ford has increased the options and cab configurations year after year after year for decades? There are literally millions of potential combinations in the F150. Sounds like you have a COMPLETELY unfounded conspiracy theory...good luck selling that one.

Well... looks like I'll be keeping my truck for a long time.
Don't kid yourself, you weren't going to buy an F250 anyway.

Old 02-22-2009 | 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
Easily the dumbest conspiracy theory I've ever heard. This isn't some monopolistic entity that has the ability to force products upon us- it is a company facing fierce competition in a free market. What you are suggesting makes NO SENSE AT ALL WHAT SO EVER.

Is that why Ford has increased the options and cab configurations year after year after year for decades? There are literally millions of potential combinations in the F150. Sounds like you have a COMPLETELY unfounded conspiracy theory...good luck selling that one.

Don't kid yourself, you weren't going to buy an F250 anyway.
Maybe I'm being a bit too harsh on Ford... but what I'm trying to get at here is the mere fact that Ford can offer it without it costing them money. They just don't want to bother with it. With the amount of money it'd cost them to include it, they'd still break even if that supposed 1% of the population bought it. Plus we are talking something so miniscule it should even be considered a problem or a big deal towards Ford for having it as an option.

Now you mention cab configurations and what not. I notion you on that -- however, it seems as if they would rather focus on what the vehicle would rather look like, rather than perform. Personally, I'd rather my Ford look like a 1995 F250, rather than these new styles. It's fine for cars, but it shouldn't be for trucks. But that's neither here nor there for that fact of the matter. Some people actually focus on the mechanical side of vehicles. Others, including myself, actually enjoy rowing through the gears, having complete control over the truck. Which you mentioned that fact about automatic transmissions having better control whilst towing. I've driven automatic trucks towing heavy loads. They are fine, but there were many times when the truck should've stayed in a gear longer then the engine lugs, then the transmission shifts back down, causing loss of power. Every automatic I've driven does that. That's because it's got programmed set points, basically, it is not smart -- it's just using simple boolean logic controllers. Where as the human mind knows way better -- as long as the driver knows what he/she is doing.

As far as me getting a F250 or a SD for that matter, I'm still uncertain yet. But if I do, I am planning on keeping my F150 no matter what. Yeah, I'll have 3 vehicles for 1 person, but whatever... I love trucks.

Old 02-22-2009 | 09:22 AM
Maybe I'm being a bit too harsh on Ford... but what I'm trying to get at here is the mere fact that Ford can offer it without it costing them money. They just don't want to bother with it. With the amount of money it'd cost them to include it, they'd still break even if that supposed 1% of the population bought it. Plus we are talking something so miniscule it should even be considered a problem or a big deal towards Ford for having it as an option.

Now you mention cab configurations and what not. I notion you on that -- however, it seems as if they would rather focus on what the vehicle would rather look like, rather than perform. Personally, I'd rather my Ford look like a 1995 F250, rather than these new styles. It's fine for cars, but it shouldn't be for trucks. But that's neither here nor there for that fact of the matter. Some people actually focus on the mechanical side of vehicles. Others, including myself, actually enjoy rowing through the gears, having complete control over the truck. Which you mentioned that fact about automatic transmissions having better control whilst towing. I've driven automatic trucks towing heavy loads. They are fine, but there were many times when the truck should've stayed in a gear longer then the engine lugs, then the transmission shifts back down, causing loss of power. Every automatic I've driven does that. That's because it's got programmed set points, basically, it is not smart -- it's just using simple boolean logic controllers. Where as the human mind knows way better -- as long as the driver knows what he/she is doing.

As far as me getting a F250 or a SD for that matter, I'm still uncertain yet. But if I do, I am planning on keeping my F150 no matter what. Yeah, I'll have 3 vehicles for 1 person, but whatever... I love trucks.

My '06 F250 outperforms our '06 F250 in towing, capability, ride, power and interior comfort to boot. So I am kinda curious on your "rather look like, than perform' statement. Regarding the auto trans, Ford has come a long way and the tow/haul feature is a real plus and works pretty good. I guess it depends on the tranny, but the Torqshift is stout.

I love trucks too...

Old 02-22-2009 | 11:26 AM
|
I always thought manuals were cheaper that autos but i guess not

Old 02-23-2009 | 06:05 PM

Maybe its just me, but that Super Chief design is ugly as chit. Seems a little soon to be making such a large make over.

Old 02-23-2009 | 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by cotedog03

Maybe its just me, but that Super Chief design is ugly as chit. Seems a little soon to be making such a large make over.
American Car/Truck companies can not afford to rest of the prior years past successes, they need to constantly improve or get left in the dust by companies like Toyota, Nissan, Etc! I'm glad that FORD is constantly improving it's Truck line, & showing leadership, & who is the king of trucks! Hats off to FORD!..........

Old 02-23-2009 | 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
American Car/Truck companies can not afford to rest of the prior years past successes, they need to constantly improve or get left in the dust by companies like Toyota, Nissan, Etc! I'm glad that FORD is constantly improving it's Truck line, & showing leadership, & who is the king of trucks! Hats off to FORD!..........
You know... I want to agree with you --- but... Ford needs to improve their car segment more than their truck segment.

Secondly, Super Duties are no comparison to any other foreign automaker. They can only be compared to 2 other companies... and they are both domestic.

Lastly, Ford needs to get rid of this whole retro-look on the heavy duty trucks... there should be more steel and aluminum put into these trucks rather than the amount of plastic and looks. When has a F250 been an icon? Never. It's for getting the job done... not for looks.

Old 02-24-2009 | 10:21 AM
You know... I want to agree with you --- but... Ford needs to improve their car segment more than their truck segment.

Secondly, Super Duties are no comparison to any other foreign automaker. They can only be compared to 2 other companies... and they are both domestic.

Lastly, Ford needs to get rid of this whole retro-look on the heavy duty trucks... there should be more steel and aluminum put into these trucks rather than the amount of plastic and looks. When has a F250 been an icon? Never. It's for getting the job done... not for looks.
All you do is argue for the sake of arguing, why??? All you can say is ford sucks cuz they dont have a manual tranny or they shouldnt care how it looks just how it performs. Guess what, 98% of people buying a SD are gonna go with an auto and darn near all of them use them as their daily driver. So do you want to be riding around in something that looks like some kid in preschool designed?? Well who cares right as long as it performs?? NO!! thats not how people think and it never will be. Your spending enough money on a truck, you want it to look as good as it performs, and the SD line does just that.

You are just coming on here to argue and bad mouth ford just for the sake of doing it.

Old 02-24-2009 | 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by scottbigred
All you do is argue for the sake of arguing, why??? All you can say is ford sucks cuz they dont have a manual tranny or they shouldnt care how it looks just how it performs. Guess what, 98% of people buying a SD are gonna go with an auto and darn near all of them use them as their daily driver. So do you want to be riding around in something that looks like some kid in preschool designed?? Well who cares right as long as it performs?? NO!! thats not how people think and it never will be. Your spending enough money on a truck, you want it to look as good as it performs, and the SD line does just that.

You are just coming on here to argue and bad mouth ford just for the sake of doing it.
Not really.

I'm just trying to make a valid point, that's all.

I'm not saying Ford sucks... not by any means. But Ford can offer it at least on the Super Duty. I can see F150s... but Super Dutys? No way... they've gotta offer it.

Old 02-24-2009 | 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
Maybe for a truck in our class, but not for the big boy semi's (but were not talkin' those I suppose...don't smack me too hard Freeky )
\

Agreed. I have driven a couple automatic straight trucks and tractor-trailers.

I HATE HATE HATE autos in heavy service trucks. In the light and medium duty class, it does not make a difference to me. For the big boy toys, I will drive nothing but a manual.

Quick Reply: 2011 ford superduty