F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Rear ID Light Bar for 08 F250

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear ID Light Bar for 08 F250

Hey guys, i've been a member of this site for several years but sold my old F150 fx4 and went to a dodge diesel for a while but am now back into a ford. I bought an 08 F-250 Lariat crew cab 4x4 diesel and am loving it so far. I was wondering if anyone has or knows how to add the rear ID light bar like the duellys have below the taillgate and above the rear bumper. It has like 3 lights that go across the center. I don't want the line of fire or anything like that i'm wanting the stock look. Where can I find one of these and where do I wire it up so it comes on with my headlights? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Look here, http://www.newfordparts.com/catalog.htm

Use the body parts drilldown for 2008 F350. Look for rear lamps.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:53 AM
These two are used on Ford Dually's (direct fit and OEM equipment)

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...tentryId=26141 ('07 and prior)

http://grote.com/product.php?product_number=49172 ( I saw this specific brand on an '08)

They are basically the same thing!

Old 02-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I have always wondered what those ID lights were for? Why are they on there? What purpose do they serve? I like them on trucks but just never knew what they were for.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:12 PM
They're clearance lights. Any auto parts store will sell them in the trailer section and they will come with self tapping screws. You'll have one wire to hook up, which will be hooked up at the tail lights. The light you're adding will have a brown wire. The wire you want to tap into SHOULD be a brown wire in the tail light harness.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
They're clearance lights. Any auto parts store will sell them in the trailer section and they will come with self tapping screws. You'll have one wire to hook up, which will be hooked up at the tail lights. The light you're adding will have a brown wire. The wire you want to tap into SHOULD be a brown wire in the tail light harness.

If he decides to get OEM style replacememts the 'self tapping' screws are unecessary. The holes are already in place for mounting below the tailgate.

The indentication markers (proper name) are needed for any vehicle / trailer width that is 80" or more. I have them on my truck and since it is SRW they are not needed. However, I dig the look so...go figure. Clearance lights is the name for the ones on top of the cab.

I tapped the hot wire into my trailer light connection pin as they were easier to get to. The ground is actually mounted with the screw / washer / nut that mounts the marker assembly to the body (I grinded away the paint some for a good mating surface).

Last edited by Pagnew; 02-28-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Didn't realize that the holes were already there. I'm going to add them to my truck, but they're going to be LED lights... When I get my LED tails. I'm sure that the auto parts store lights will be MUCH cheaper than the dealer ones though...

Old 02-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Didn't realize that the holes were already there. I'm going to add them to my truck, but they're going to be LED lights... When I get my LED tails. I'm sure that the auto parts store lights will be MUCH cheaper than the dealer ones though...
Believe it or not I got the Grote OEM replacement one and it's holes lines up with the body holes. It only costs me $19 (bought at NAPA). Not sure if the LED or other MFG's will have the holes the same width (hole width is 16" ~ 16.125" I think), but if not the self tapper screws will do the trick....LED is pretty trick so I bet those would loook good too!

The part #'s are in the links I listed earlier if you do decide to go OEM style.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Believe it or not I got the Grote OEM replacement one and it's holes lines up with the body holes. It only costs me $19 (bought at NAPA). Not sure if the LED or other MFG's will have the holes the same width (hole width is 16" ~ 16.125" I think), but if not the self tapper screws will do the trick....LED is pretty trick so I bet those would loook good too!

The part #'s are in the links I listed earlier if you do decide to go OEM style. They may have LED replacement lense assembly that snap in place of the standard incandescent assemblies. Check out the websites...

Old 02-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Nah, I'm gonna get the same LED light bar I put on my boat trailer.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:06 PM
That's cool...I am an OEM-look myself....That'll be pretty cool to have the same LED on the truck as the trailer. Make sure the tailgate doesn't hit the lights or have any other interferance though.

Enjoy

Old 02-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I've installed them before on my 22ft car hauler but didn't realize it would fit on my ford. I measured it out and the black one they have at Tractor Supply will actually fit the holes pre-drilled on my 250. It's only 10 bucks but I might splurge and go with the LED one for 20. I really like the way it looks on your truck pagnew, thanks for posting up the pic. I love my new f250 so far, but the milage sucks nuts compared to my 5.9 cummins I just sold. Oh well, I like the looks and features over the dodge any day!

Old 02-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Right on man! Send some pics when your done....

Old 03-08-2009, 06:46 PM
OK ~ I figured...heck, I'll just get another pic of the truck with the ID marker with clearance lights. So tonight I take her out and go to a spot that has some elevation to take the snapshot. Have never had a prob truckin' through here. Well....because of the snow melt and rain this area was SATURATED. Of course, how would I know ( I did have to go into 4X4 just getting there - so that should have been a small clue) ...I just coasted down the berm and ran up and took the pic. Getting back in the truck, I give it a bit of gas and she starts sinking!!!... I give it more and she is barely moving ....give it half throttle and going forward....but sinking....get in reverse....get out but now can't get up the hill. I had to go back and forth and finally after around 10 minutes got out. Toooo hilarious, the cool thing was seeing a wicked roost from both front tires when I had to go in reverse for some time. LOOKS ARE DECIEVING! All in all it was fun, but I did get nervous. This was an old corn field at one point and usually no prob...but today ~ wicked.....

Here she is before the 'adventure'...looked good at first!

Last edited by Pagnew; 03-08-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
Here she is before the 'adventure'...looked good at first!
Dang! I want to see the "after" pictures!

Quick Reply: Rear ID Light Bar for 08 F250