F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Saying Goodbye to the 2008 KR... Hello New F-350!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009 | 05:56 PM
|
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Wow! 16.8-17.2 MPG! I average about 12 MPG with the 3.73's. Those 3.55's really make a huge difference!
Easy, Freeky. I think the weight of your air horns is the problem.

Like I said, it's the lie-o-meter. I am doing all I can do to not stop and refill because I want to get close to empty for an accurate reading. The distance-to-empty seems to change a bit now and then, but if it is accurate, I hope to get close to 480-500 miles out of a tank, which at 30 gallons, is about 16 to 16.67. Let me tell you, I'm not holding my breath, but anything over the reported 10-12mpg would be welcomed. I'm sure my first regen will blow the mpg to you-know-where.

Old 03-10-2009 | 09:09 PM
Moderator &
Traitor! LOL! No more KR!?

Only kidding, of course. Congrats on the new ride, Smoke! It looks slick. You do know that they made the F350 in a KR, right? LOL! Only kidding again... Congrats, bud!

Old 03-10-2009 | 10:31 PM
My 08 with the 3.73's will show 17.5-18 mpg's on the highway but when I just run around town and through regen the lie-o-meter drops down to 10.5-11mpg's. I'm thinking it's closer to 10-12's for real life milage.

Old 03-10-2009 | 10:47 PM
|
Originally Posted by Z-MAN_FX4
My 08 with the 3.73's will show 17.5-18 mpg's on the highway but when I just run around town and through regen the lie-o-meter drops down to 10.5-11mpg's. I'm thinking it's closer to 10-12's for real life milage.
Since I'm only on my first tank of fuel (probably magic fuel from the factory ) I keep looking at the Distance to Empty and the miles driven so far. The DTE has always been very accurate on all my past trucks, so if I add the two up, it estimates close to 460 miles on the tank. Most of the posts I've seen on other diesel sites have guys praying to get in the mid-300's. I'm already past that, so I hope mid-to upper 400's is the worst. Again, time will tell. Typically, all my trucks have slowly dropped in fuel economy over time, except those diesels I tweaked. This 6.4 probably will never see a tuner, so I hope I can get all I can out of it.

Old 03-10-2009 | 11:03 PM
|
Originally Posted by Rockpick
Traitor! LOL! No more KR!?

Only kidding, of course. Congrats on the new ride, Smoke! It looks slick. You do know that they made the F350 in a KR, right? LOL! Only kidding again... Congrats, bud!
Yes, yes, yes... I know. I have always wanted a King Ranch F-250, so when it worked out last time, I was really happy. It was a nice rig, but as long as we keep this travel trailer (which we'll only go fiver next time around), an F-150 just doesn't work as well. It's kind of bittersweet when most of my driving is empty to my jobsites and work where a sweet riding F-150 is clearly better. I did like the F-150 so much, though, that I even contemplated and researched having the trailer axles moved to adjust the tongue weight, but there was waaaaay more stuff involved in that than I realized.

This F-350, even though it's "only a Lariat" is about 10x the truck the 2008 F-150 - clearly made for working. I'm sure it will never haul 3,700#'s, but it will get worked. As for the trim, a Lariat is no slouch, but there is something about that Castano massaging your buns on the highway. I hope the F-150 was not my last King Ranch.

My wife swears I am an F-150 kind-of-guy, but if she paid attention to the soot in my underwear, the diesel in my veins, and the way I roll the window down just to get a whiff of diesel fumes, she'd see I am a Superduty guy. I guess it's a truck thing. This thing is just "all truck". I absolutely love it. Even though it's my seventh or eight Superduty diesel, it is such an improvement - even over my last 2007. Next time, I'd like a King, but only time will tell.

Old 03-11-2009 | 04:48 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
Thanks for all the nice comments. She's kind of a "Plain Jane" in comparison to what I'm used to, but certainly not an XL (nothing against XL's).

Bjp, yes, the 285's look small in the pictures, but in person, I think they actually look fine. I really wanted 20's, but afetr going through about two dozen trucks for dealer trade, it boiled down to this one. Everything else with 20's stickered about $3,000 more - something I just didn't care to spend this time around. But, there's always next year... I mean next time.

I sure hope the lie-o-meter is close. Right now it averages about 16.8 to 17.2 mpg. Wouldn't that be a dream? Time will tell.

Her's a few pictures I took last night:

Wow beautiful truck man

Old 03-11-2009 | 05:26 PM
Nice truck but like someone said can we get some interior shots

Old 03-12-2009 | 07:58 AM
|
Originally Posted by pmason718
Nice truck but like someone said can we get some interior shots
I'll try to snag a few this afternoon and get them up on Friday morning.

Old 03-12-2009 | 08:12 AM
That certainly is a NICE ride ~ classy color!

Old 03-12-2009 | 08:31 AM
|
Originally Posted by Pagnew
That certainly is a NICE ride ~ classy color!
Thanks, Pagnew. She is a little plain for my tastes, but I am reviewing my "dress-up" options. I usually put on a fiberglass tonneau, but I am contemplating a full shell with the large flush-mounted glass windows. It would look kind of Expedition-ish, and it would be alot more helpful for camping... in the hauling/storage department, as well as the wind drag department (up and over the flying brick behind). As Zaairman said, amybe some window tint, too.

I had my first regen this morning on the way to work. I didn't even notice it except for the indication on the dash. No loss of power, and no real indication through the mpg or gallons used (ScanGuage II). I filled up for the first time yesterday and was relieved to see actual hand calculation reveal just under 16mpg. or I sure hope it keeps up. I think it would have been better, but I bucked the 50mph headwind for about 60 miles yesterday, and although the computer showed only a few tenths of mpg loss, I'm betting it wa smore than that.

Old 03-12-2009 | 02:59 PM
|
Okay, I'll try to post a few interior shots. If you are looking for something specific, let me know...

Old 03-12-2009 | 06:05 PM
Floor shift 4x4! Nice. Do the front hubs automatically engage?

Old 03-12-2009 | 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Floor shift 4x4! Nice. Do the front hubs automatically engage?
Wow! I was looking for the 4x4 switch on the dash and was about to ask where it was when I read your post. Didn't know they still did that. Where's your cigarette lighter?

Old 03-12-2009 | 06:27 PM
Nice truck!

heres a pic of a full cap on my dads truck. Its an ARE z-series

Old 03-13-2009 | 08:24 AM
|
Yes, they still do the manual shift for 4X4. It's now called M.S.O.S. for manual shift on stop. According to the book, it can only be shifted into 4WD at or below 5 mph, which kind of stinks. It comes with manual locking hubs that have a FREE and LOCKED position. FREE is just that... no connection between the front driveline and the wheel, therefor no 4WD. LOCKED has the front wheels locked to the front axles and driveline, so 4WD is only available when the hubs are locked.

The E.S.O.F. (electronic shift on the fly with the **** on dash) has manual hubs that have LOCKED and AUTO positions that can be shifted to 4WD at any speed and in either of the hub positions up to 55 mph. The LOCKED position just insures that the hubs are physically locked so it goes into 4WD quicker and easier. In AUTO, the hubs are unlocked, or unlock after the transfer case is shifted out of 4WD, to improve fuel economy and provide less wear on the drivetrain by not rotating the front driveline with the wheels.

I don't remember when the AUTO HUBS (no twist turn at all - just a chrome axle endcap) that were available with the floor shift on the late 80's and early 90's trucks went away. I liked them for all the highway driving I did (still do, but much more) because they automatically engaged any time you pulled up on the FLOOR SHIFTER, regardless of speed. The only catch was that the minute you shifted out of 4WD and drove in the direction opposite the direction you were travelling when you initially engaged the 4WD (thus locking the hubs automatically), the hubs would then unlock. SO, the next time you engaged the 4WD again, the hubs wouldhave to relock again, which sometimes took a few seconds, or created a grinding noise in the front driveline at the hubs. I always wished they had the newer model manual hubs (that come with the ESOF today) with a floor shifter that would allow you to select AUTO or FREE while still having a floor shifter with a Neutral position. Then, the hubs would lock automatically in any nub position, but still provide a floor shift and a neutral. Whew! Get all that?

NateV, THANK YOU! I have been looking for pictures of a top like that for my truck, but no one responds. Do you have any more pictures form other angles? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Saying Goodbye to the 2008 KR... Hello New F-350!