F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Looking to buy a new f250, please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy a new f250, please help

Hello, Well I sold my 02 f250, and I'm looking into buying a new one. I want to buy from a dealer so I can have a warrenty. But heres the question. Should I buy a brand new 2008, or should I find a 2008 or 2007 thats used with some miles on it? I would like to get leather int. and heated seats and a crew cab or ext cab, doesn't matter. I just want all the bells and whistles. I'm debating whats the best way to go. I'm not too caught up into the newer diesels. Any advice will be helpful! Thanks for your time.

James

Old 03-12-2009, 07:26 AM
If you don't mind, what did you get for your 02 and what options. I am wanting to purchase a used F250 turbodiesel and would like to know what a good price would be. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by jbracket
Hello, Well I sold my 02 f250, and I'm looking into buying a new one. I want to buy from a dealer so I can have a warrenty. But heres the question. Should I buy a brand new 2008, or should I find a 2008 or 2007 thats used with some miles on it? I would like to get leather int. and heated seats and a crew cab or ext cab, doesn't matter. I just want all the bells and whistles. I'm debating whats the best way to go. I'm not too caught up into the newer diesels. Any advice will be helpful! Thanks for your time.

James
Well, frankly, with the current $9,000 rebates on diesel Super Duties, I'd be looking at a new one. I'd be a little afraid of a used 2008 with the potential that it could be a Job #1 that somebody off-loaded because of some issues. If you can fine a late build Job #3 2008, I'd go that route, but pickins' may be slim in your area. It was for me, so I had to jump to an F-350 for the peanuts difference in cash. I have no regrets so far, and the additional leaf, spacers, and ratings really have no impact on the ride IMO. The F-350 returns every bit of the additional cost on resale over the F-250, so it's not a big deal. I will never haul 3,700#, though.

You could look at a 2007, but it will have a 6.0L if a smoker. Some crab about them, but of the three I had, they were almost flawless. I'd take another in a minute and thought I made a big mistake dumping my 2007 6.0L last spring. After driving this 2008 6.4L, I have no regrets anymore. Just be cognicent if you look at any diesels of potential tweaks somebody may have done to it - extra gauges, exhaust, rounded off scres/bolts from intake removal/replacement, etc. If it could have been modded, tweaked, tuned, chipped, I'd stay away from it.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:36 AM
id go for the 08... try to find one that is not used! i know that will be next to imposible... but if there is a used 08 sitting on a lot there is probably a reason for it.

and if you go with 07 then you will be with a 6.0L... and that year prly is not as bad as the first few years of the 6.0L cause they will have worked all the bugs out by then... i dont know... i would try to find a new 08 cause they will be really cheap for what your gettin... but i dout if you will be able to find a brand new 08...

so i dont know do what you can afford bud.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just go with a brand new 09.....i picked up one a few weeks ago and i love it. dealers want them off the lot and are willing to make all kinds of deals. i always told myself id never buy a brand new of the lot but rather got with a 1-2 year old model but... they offered me a deal i couldnt refuse.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:23 PM
I picked up a loaded 2007 F250 Harley Davidson Edition with 19K miles for $29K. Black wasn't my first choice, but the deal was too good to pass up.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
I'd be a little afraid of a used 2008 with the potential that it could be a Job #1 that somebody off-loaded because of some issues.
What issues do the Job 1 trucks have? I really haven't had any issues with mine yet, except that it doesn't tell me when the truck is in regen mode. That will be rectified by the reflash I am having done next week.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:33 AM
Thanks for all the input. and pdabbs I had a 02 f250 7.3L crew cab short bed, leather int, captain chairs, 4x4 off road package, cold air intake, banks super chip, new tires, spray in bed liner, 100k miles, and I got an offer of $23k for it, and I couldn't refuse it. The guy buying it fell in love with my truck the moment he saw it. It was probbly only work $20K.

And Thanks for all the help, and this purchase won't be untill middle of May, so I still have plenty of time to look and see whats out on the market. What's the difference with the Job #'s you were talking about?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
What issues do the Job 1 trucks have? I really haven't had any issues with mine yet, except that it doesn't tell me when the truck is in regen mode. That will be rectified by the reflash I am having done next week.
Well, like it's said, most people come to the boards to crab about their problems, but the Ford diesel boards have been extremely quiet since the 6.4L was introduced.

The few problems that seem to be coupled to the 2008 Job #1 trucks are leaky radiators, a few injector problems bleeding fuel into the crankcase, very poor fuel economy (the new flashes help this), and really not much more. Again, these are exceptions - not rules.

jbracket, if you wait that long, you will most likely have almost nothing in the 2008 MY with the $9000 rebates left to pick from. 2010's start building in March 2009, too. Maybe 2009 rebates will jump, but to $9000? Who knows.

The builds are status revisions to the trucks built. Job #1 is the first off the line. Then, after some bugs are worked out and changes made, they issue Job #2. Again, if needed, Job #3 then comes out, and typically is the "debugged" model for that model year. It seems like any of the issues with the 2008 MY Job #3 trucks were resoved, with the exception of fuel economy because of the particulate filter (all diesels of all brands have the same mpg issues), however the 2008 Job #3 trucks and all the 2009's are starting to show better economy - especially with the new PCM flashes. Good luck!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks Smokewagun...my first 08 had the problem of stuck injectors and the engine blew up two weeks after I traded it. I recognized it on this forum when the new owner posted up pictures of the truck in the shop with the cab removed. I dodged a bullet. This one has a few little issues, like the paint is peeling off one spot on the intercooler and one of the rear leafs squeaks a little. I actually took mine in for some service last summer and was told that the diesel techs thought my truck was the most powerful 6.4 that they had driven. (possibly just blowing sunshine up my butt)

The main differences between Job 1 and Job 2 trucks is TPMS, rear-view camera, and that huge air dam. Since none of these are options I would have bought, it didn't bother me. I do need to take my truck in and have the ECU and instrument panel flashed so that the info center shows me when the truck is in regen. The Job 1 trucks did not show this info, but it is a simple software upgrade. Just have to flash it back to stock and drive it for a week or so before taking her in.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all your help. I was looking around and found a nice used 07 f250 with the 6.0 and I'm really liking it, and plus it won't hurt my wallet as much as an 08

Old 03-17-2009, 01:07 PM
And where are the pictures?!?!?!

Old 03-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah, we need some pictures!

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a new f250, please help