F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F-250 sd steering system

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-250 sd steering system

On a recent trip to Southern Oregon, I noticed that my steering was extremely sloppy and the truck wandered. I didn't feel safe so I took it into a highly recommended local repair facility for a look / see. It was the tie rod end like piece (center link) that connects the Pitman arm to the tie rod. I could physically see and feel (loose bearing) that it was almost gone so I had it replaced. After replacing it, the truck tracks fine now with no free play HOWEVER, the cross arm (horn / cruise buttons) in the steering wheel is not horizontal when driving straight as it used to be.. in fact it is down on the left side to about the 230 degree position and up on the right side to 50 degrees. The company that installed the new connection is over 350 miles away. What must be done to correct this problem? I know it is a minor thing, but I am particular about my truck.. Is this an easy fix or going to cost $$$.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by STGCMTED
On a recent trip to Southern Oregon, I noticed that my steering was extremely sloppy and the truck wandered. I didn't feel safe so I took it into a highly recommended local repair facility for a look / see. It was the tie rod end like piece (center link) that connects the Pitman arm to the tie rod. I could physically see and feel (loose bearing) that it was almost gone so I had it replaced. After replacing it, the truck tracks fine now with no free play HOWEVER, the cross arm (horn / cruise buttons) in the steering wheel is not horizontal when driving straight as it used to be.. in fact it is down on the left side to about the 230 degree position and up on the right side to 50 degrees. The company that installed the new connection is over 350 miles away. What must be done to correct this problem? I know it is a minor thing, but I am particular about my truck.. Is this an easy fix or going to cost $$$.
Not sure the details but it should be a minor fix. I know on my Mustang they were able to loosen the steering wheel and make it straight after the alignment. Check and talk with local mechanics.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Mine was a little off, so I adjusted the bar that goes from the pitman arm to the passenger side of the truck. If the wheel is turned slightly left when going straight, then you need to shorten that bar. If the wheel is turned slightly to the right when you are going straight, then you need to lengthen that bar. I only made a very tiny adjustment and it was all that I needed. You have to remove the clamp that keeps the adjuster from turning, then spin the adjuster slightly one way or the other, then put the clamp back on.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Another question.. how much adjustment?

Thanks for the reply.. I looked under the truck and this is certainly something that I could do.. when you say shorten only a little, is a little one turn, two turns or part of a turn? Doesn't the fitting that is bolted into the puitman arm also have to be removed before adjusting (turning it) ?

Last edited by STGCMTED; 05-15-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: more data
Old 05-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the reply.. I looked under the truck and this is certainly something that I could do.. when you say shorten only a little, is a little one turn, two turns or part of a turn? Doesn't the fitting that is bolted into the puitman arm also have to be removed before adjusting (turning it) ?
No, neither end needs to be disconnected. The collar that turns is threaded in opposite directions on each end. Turn it one way, it threads further onto each half of the bar. Turn it the other way, and it threads off the end of each bar. When I did mine, the wheel was off by about 7 degrees. I turned the collar a half turn, and it was too far. I turned it back a quarter turn, and it's perfect now. The threads are very fine, so it doesn't move far with each turn, but a little goes a long way. Hope this helps. Just be sure not to touch the bar that goes across from one side to the other. That's the one that ensures that both of your front wheels are aligned with each other.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:29 PM
a 4 x 4 must be different..

I tried to do as listed above, BUT.. the threads are in the bar that is solidly attached to the link that connects to the pitman arm. It appears as though the only way to do it is remove the link bolted to the pitman arm, rotate the shaft 1 revolution and reattach the link.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:02 PM
That's odd. That bar on my truck is split into 2 pieces joined together by a piece of tube that is threaded on both ends. The threads are normal on the inboard end and backwards on the outboard end. Turning it one way shortens the bar and turning it the other way lengthens the bar. It's strange that they would have changed it.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Opps...

I looked again and it appears as though there is a short threaded sleeve under the 2 bolts that clamp or lock the thiing in place...tomorrow I will give it a try.. Thanks

Old 05-16-2009, 11:02 PM
I looked again and it appears as though there is a short threaded sleeve under the 2 bolts that clamp or lock the thiing in place...tomorrow I will give it a try.. Thanks
No problem. You have to completely remove bolts from the clamp that locks it in place because the bar has notches in it that the bolts in the clamp have to be lined up with. Once you remove the two bolts, slide the clamp to the side and spin the collar. The treads on mine were rusted a little, so I shot it with some WD40. Good luck.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Estimating Adjustment needed...

My steering wheel to the best of my estimating abilities is turned to the left by about 35 degrees..measured from horizontal ..when going straight. (about position of smile on previous icon). any estimate on how much to rotate the adjustment shaft (turns to shorten) to correct this? Is there a rule of thumb for adjustment on this item? Just want to be sure before starting to do it.. Thanks for the help..

Old 05-18-2009, 12:03 PM
You need an alignment.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:36 PM
I was assuming that the shop that replaced the bearing did an alignment. It just sounds like they didn't make sure the steering wheel was centered. It's an easy fix.

As far as how much to turn the collar, it's probably going to be trial and error.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Westin 3" Signature Series side steps .. parts

Looking for information to find parts.. The 3" Westin Signature set rail mounting brackets (2) on my F-250 were damaged by snow / ice pack last year.. Extremely bent (but rail is ok)... I have tried everywhere to find replacements and have even called Westin where they gave me the p/n of 25-131-tk BUT...no one has the ability (Napa / PEP Boys / JC Whitney, etc) can order them for me... Does anyone know of where I might be able to find kit this mounting kit? Westin will not sell direct to me and the places they told me to go, can't order them...

Quick Reply: F-250 sd steering system