F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

"wiring fault on trailer"

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"wiring fault on trailer"

on the 08 f-250 we have that tows our horse trailer, we keep getting the beep and the "wiring fault on trailer" in the message center, the stock brake controller also blinks some times. Every little bump we hit sets it off. It was as bad as every 2-4 secconds... it drives me nuts.... i turned the lights on, and it stopped for the next 25 miles... i turned the lights back off, and it started beeping and blinking. with the lights back on it stopped again... Except for the BIG bumps that will still set it off, it fixes the problem...

what would cause this?

I put a new main ground on the trailer, the old connection was not perfect, it now is. i di-electric greased the 7 pin plug to the truck also...

im lost... please help

Old 07-29-2009, 10:28 PM
We kept getting the same thing on out 05 F350 when pulling out small Bobcat trailer. The problem was that the plug fit too loose into the truck, but with a small bungee cord it went away.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:03 PM
I had the same problem on my flatbed trailer...at one point where the wires snaked through a metal brace it rubbed the insulated rubber off the wire and the bare wire was rubbing on the metal. I fixed it and it went away.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:11 AM
We had this problem with Dad's truck when he bought it. He took it in to the dealer, and a tech said it was probably a bad ground. He had the same problem with his. He said for us to add a ground wire on the truck from the back of the plug. So I did this for him. I ran maybe a 10" wire from the back of the plug to a bolt on the receiver hitch, and we have had no problems since. I also did this to mine when I bought it, and I have had no problems. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: "wiring fault on trailer"