F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

I need diesel help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
I need diesel help...

First off... let me lay the facts... I didn't buy a Ford PS. I had a few options, but the Dodges with the Cummins had a much better styling. But diesel is diesel.. and I didn't come here to point out anything with either brand. I just want some straight up answers. If you've owned a vehicle with a Cummins TD, then please chime in even more. If not, then share your thoughts on diesel, if you've personally owned one before. But please, no comments about the brand.

So I got a couple questions, being a first time diesel owner.

1. For anyone that is living in colder climates, should I add some Diesel Kleen to the fuel for easier starting? Or should I add kerosene? Or shouldn't I worry about it? I can plug it in, but I might have a problem at work. But from what I've been reading, the Cummins has a grid heater and the PS has glow plugs, and I've heard the grid heaters work better. Is that the truth?

2. Water/fuel separator... I remember reading something about draining water from the fuel? How often does this need to be done?

3. 3-5 minutes cool down time... I know I have been told to never turn off a turbo diesel engine without waiting for a few minutes for the turbo to cool. Is this a good practice? Or is it hogwash? I've always done it at work on the work trucks that are diesel.

4. Wetstacking? I have heard that it is caused from not letting the engine warm up or doing excessive idling. Do I really have to worry about this? I have a 30-45 minute mostly highway drive into work.

5. Oil changes... I do know that oil change intervals are way longer on a diesel... what is the optimum time on regular driving or minimal towing?

6. Anything else I should be aware of with diesel?

Again, like I said earlier... I came here asking because there are a lot of good people on this site, and personally, diesel is diesel, so I'm just asking for some basic help. So please, don't comment on the make.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Kleen doesn't do a damn thing. Tried it. Didn't do anything. Only thing that has done a thing to help my truck with fuel has been 2 stroke oil. Never had any problems in the winter. Keep it plugged in when you can. You'll learn the quirks to starting it in the winter (keying on and off multiple times, etc)... Also, this depends on the age/condition of the glow plug/whatever system your truck has.

You drain the fuel/water seperator when you change the fuel filter, which is every 15K. You'll have to do it more often if you pick up a batch of crap fuel. Note to self, don't buy diesel at small rarely used stations. Stick to big stations that move lots of diesel. Your truck will run better and you'll get better mileage.

3-5 minutes is a good rule if you've been towing heavy. Other than that, shut 'er down.

Oil Changes... I run 5K. Depends on the motor. What did you buy? I dunno what the interval for a 5.9 is, but I know the 6.7 is 7500 miles.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:09 PM
1. For anyone that is living in colder climates, should I add some Diesel Kleen to the fuel for easier starting? Or should I add kerosene? Or shouldn't I worry about it? I can plug it in, but I might have a problem at work. But from what I've been reading, the Cummins has a grid heater and the PS has glow plugs, and I've heard the grid heaters work better. Is that the truth?

On our 7.3 we don't plug it in unless it gets below 20*. It's not completely necessary sometimes, but will definitely help it start better and get to operating temp faster.

2. Water/fuel separator... I remember reading something about draining water from the fuel? How often does this need to be done?

what Z said

3. 3-5 minutes cool down time... I know I have been told to never turn off a turbo diesel engine without waiting for a few minutes for the turbo to cool. Is this a good practice? Or is it hogwash? I've always done it at work on the work trucks that are diesel.

Unless you've been heavy in the boost for a long period of time, it's not necessary

4. Wetstacking? I have heard that it is caused from not letting the engine warm up or doing excessive idling. Do I really have to worry about this? I have a 30-45 minute mostly highway drive into work.

You definitely need to let a diesel warm up in the winter before you take off and drive somewhere. As far as idle goes, some diesels I've been around will automatically bump up the idle speed whenever they've been sitting for a while.. don't know about the dodges.

5. Oil changes... I do know that oil change intervals are way longer on a diesel... what is the optimum time on regular driving or minimal towing?

owners manual...

6. Anything else I should be aware of with diesel?

Add some of this to your tank every 5-10 fillups or so, it's good stuff.

link to howe's
http://www.howeslube.com/products/index.php/category/20

Last edited by MOford21; 08-02-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Contributor
Thanks for the info. Yes, I got a '02 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9l. I didn't want a new one, as I was sketchy on the new 6.7l, plus I saved some money doing it. I had a couple 7.3's and 6.0's PS lined up, but eh, they weren't really my style, and with my other truck being messed up, I didn't feel like being left stranded someplace. Plus, for the type of work I do, I really needed the right tool to do the job. Hence maybe that is why it broke...

I really like the older body style with both Dodge and Ford... the new ones haven't grown on me at least for Dodge... and there was no way I could afford a new 6.4l PS... plus all the emissions junk to put me at a worse mpg didn't make much sense. At least with that 5.9l, I can get the 20 mpg like I've been getting with the F150, but with a ton more power. I wanted a new F250... but it just wasn't in the cards, and like I said, the used ones I had kind of lined up, didn't have certain features I was looking for, plus the styling was kind of too blah -- which was a somewhat big mistake with my F150. I didn't get enough style in it, then again I didn't really have much choice then... at least I got what I wanted and that is diesel and some style.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:32 PM
How cold is the climate? Just saying its a cold climate doesn't mean jack. Cold here in my area of PA in the winter means 20-30*F. Cold back home in Iowa was -20*F. I have only ever plugged my truck in once and that was when we had a brief stint down to -50*F. Otherwise back home I'd just let the glow plugs do their job and away I go. Just make sure that you have 2 good batteries and that you have enough antigel mixed in the fuel. I like the Power Service (Diesel Kleen with antigel added). If you're in cold climates where its regularly below 0*F I would carry a bottle of 911 Powerservice (red bottle) in case the fuel does gel. If you decide to add straight kerosene make sure you don't add too much or you'll eat the fuel pump, lift pump. and injectors. I would never under any circumstances add 2 stroke oil to the fuel (plus it would actually hurt your antigel). Its along the same lines as adding sawdust to a failing trans. If you actually read some of the reports on the particulates that are in it it'll scare you. It may make it sound like its running smoother, but its wearing on the internals faster than normal.

If you're wondering what is better, grid heater or glow plugs, its all preferance. The glow plugs work by heating the air directly inside the cylinder heads, thus warming the cylinder, but when you crank you're pulling in cold air which temporarily cools the cylinders. Grid heaters heat the intake charge air which does nothing to warm the cylinders, but when you crank you're still getting warm air. The ideal way is to have a coolant heater that circulates warm coolant through the block (ie block heater).

Since you have an 02 Dodge I hope you put a blue Holley pump on it and a fuel pressure gauge. Your VP pump will thank you.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Contributor
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
How cold is the climate? Just saying its a cold climate doesn't mean jack. Cold here in my area of PA in the winter means 20-30*F. Cold back home in Iowa was -20*F. I have only ever plugged my truck in once and that was when we had a brief stint down to -50*F. Otherwise back home I'd just let the glow plugs do their job and away I go. Just make sure that you have 2 good batteries and that you have enough antigel mixed in the fuel. I like the Power Service (Diesel Kleen with antigel added). If you're in cold climates where its regularly below 0*F I would carry a bottle of 911 Powerservice (red bottle) in case the fuel does gel. If you decide to add straight kerosene make sure you don't add too much or you'll eat the fuel pump, lift pump. and injectors. I would never under any circumstances add 2 stroke oil to the fuel (plus it would actually hurt your antigel). Its along the same lines as adding sawdust to a failing trans. If you actually read some of the reports on the particulates that are in it it'll scare you. It may make it sound like its running smoother, but its wearing on the internals faster than normal.

If you're wondering what is better, grid heater or glow plugs, its all preferance. The glow plugs work by heating the air directly inside the cylinder heads, thus warming the cylinder, but when you crank you're pulling in cold air which temporarily cools the cylinders. Grid heaters heat the intake charge air which does nothing to warm the cylinders, but when you crank you're still getting warm air. The ideal way is to have a coolant heater that circulates warm coolant through the block (ie block heater).

Since you have an 02 Dodge I hope you put a blue Holley pump on it and a fuel pressure gauge. Your VP pump will thank you.
Well, before winter, I am going to put new batteries in it... added insurance, if you know what I mean. It gets down to around -10F to the coldest of -30F... but mostly stays in the balmy 15-25F range during late January up until the middle to end of February.

Well, as long as it is getting warmed somehow... I don't care, as long as she'll start.

What is a VP pump?

Old 08-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Wow, you need to do LOTS and LOTS of reading on that truck. The VP pump is your electronically controlled lift pump. The Dodge trucks have design flaw that makes the VP pull the fuel from the tank up to where its at by the engine. Pumps are good a pumping fluid, not sucking it. The VP pump has a huge reputation for failing, and when they do they're about a $1000 part. If it does fail you can get a VP from a Fedex truck which is cheaper and its a heavier duty version. The trick to keeping it from failing is to put a blue Holley pump back by the tank. This pump only has to suck fuel a little ways and then supplies a positive fuel pressure to the VP pump, which keeps it happy. Put a fuel pressure gauge in line in between the VP and the Holley and keep an eye on it. If you ever see it drop below 15psi then you know you've got problems coming.

At least you don't have to worry about the KDP with your 24V.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Old 08-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
I guess you missed this little gem at the top

This is relatively low ratio and with not cause any harm engine as far as I known.

The accelerated wear probably isn't apparent until miles down the road and would usually need a teardown to be seen, but may be evident from performance loss.

I'm not saying that 2 stroke oil is the worst thing you can do to your engine, but there are far better things out there than 2 stroke. Heck I can put 911 Powerservice in my truck and get much better performance out of it, but after 100k my injectors and pump would be all but shot. Best thing to run is B50 to B100 diesel.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wish you luck with your Dodge! My friend had one & went through 3 trannys! The engine is great, but the rest, not for me!.......What happened to your F-150?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:48 AM
Contributor
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
I wish you luck with your Dodge! My friend had one & went through 3 trannys! The engine is great, but the rest, not for me!.......What happened to your F-150?
My tranny died in the middle of MD.

I'm going to stick to my tried and true F150.... even tho it's a v6... I feel a little more... um.. shall I say comfortable... and way more reliable.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Wait, so you're back in an F-150?

Old 08-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Dude has had some terrible luck lately.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ge...ml#post3838588

Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Contributor
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Wait, so you're back in an F-150?
No silly... my F150 is actually working fine.

I just was totally retarded and wasted my money and time. :o

In fact... I'm a total toolbox for what I did. :o

Old 08-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
<snip> I had a couple 7.3's and 6.0's PS lined up, but eh, they weren't really my style, and with my other truck being messed up, I didn't feel like being left stranded someplace.<snip>
^ that right there is irony at its best. Worst in your case, though.

Quick Reply: I need diesel help...