F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

5.4 manual tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 manual tranny?

im working on rebuilding an old bronco and i was wandering if anyone could tell me if a transmission out of a newer truck that has a 5.4 or mabie the tranny from a v10 would bolt up to a older 302 or 5.0

Old 08-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Nope.

But who cares, the 5spd is the same ZF5 that they used in years past, its just a different bolt pattern. The ZF6 has the same ratios with the only addition being the low gear.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
exactly, he needs to find a 302 or 351 truck witha 5 speed if that's what he wants to run

Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 PM
No - just find an old Borg Warner T5 tranny from a Mustang - it will work great. What year is the Bronco?...if the engine is a 5.0 HO (though I don't think that the 'HO' version engine was available for the Bronc') you will need the the manual EEC-IV version module if you are swapping from an auto-trans to a manual. If it's a carburated version or you decide to use a carburator then you are good to go. Just need to make sure the bellhousing is correct. An easy exchange if it isn't. You usually can get one at a junkyard. Good luck - show pics - post progress

Old 08-14-2009, 11:09 PM
it is a 74 model bronco it has nothing in it right now it is a bare rolling chassi and the tub is stripped also im redoing it all from the ground up. the bronco originaly had a 302 with a c4 tranny. i have another 302 that im going to rebuild and put in the bronco and i plan on going with a small 4 barrel carb on it. my intenchions with the bronco is a nice cleen weekend driver that i can get decent fuel mileage with im not planning to take it off roading but i am going to keep it 4wd. i would like to find the best tranny that would help me with fuel mileage and i would prefer a hydraulic clutch if possible. i want to keep it as neat as possible with no extra stuff under the hood

Old 08-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by randylb12
it is a 74 model bronco it has nothing in it right now it is a bare rolling chassi and the tub is stripped also im redoing it all from the ground up. the bronco originaly had a 302 with a c4 tranny. i have another 302 that im going to rebuild and put in the bronco and i plan on going with a small 4 barrel carb on it. my intenchions with the bronco is a nice cleen weekend driver that i can get decent fuel mileage with im not planning to take it off roading but i am going to keep it 4wd. i would like to find the best tranny that would help me with fuel mileage and i would prefer a hydraulic clutch if possible. i want to keep it as neat as possible with no extra stuff under the hood
With a carb the 302 with the T5 would be a great 'all round' 5-speed. You mentioned the HO motor. The roller cam is a great option. I would also make sure that the Bronco, if you go 32" tires (or more) should have a 3:73 axle ratio or higher ~

Old 08-16-2009, 02:33 AM
i looked at the mustang tranny idea and my main concern is 4wd it dont appear from the pics i saw that you could put a diffrent tail shaft on the tranny or be able to bolt up a transfer case at all to it. one idea that i had was i could go with a divorce transfer case but im not shure how the driveshafts will work out i might have a problem with driveshaft angle on the rear axle and clearance issues on the front. is there any certain years or anything like that that would have a diffrent set up so i could bolt up a transfer case up to the tranny? i like the gear ratios of the tranny it sounds like it would be driveable and with the right axle gears and mabie a little better than stock motor it would be pretty peppy also

Old 08-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't recall the T5 coming in anything that offered a 4x4 option, so you'd be looking at changing the output shaft and tailhousing. Advanced Adapters should have one for it, though it won't be cheap. With an EB theres no way you can fit a divorced case and be able to run a rear driveline. There just isn't enough wheelbase. I would just run the ZF5 and not worry about it. They're more than plentiful at junkyards for a SBF bolt pattern. Are you dead set on running the D20?

Old 08-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by randylb12
i looked at the mustang tranny idea and my main concern is 4wd it dont appear from the pics i saw that you could put a diffrent tail shaft on the tranny or be able to bolt up a transfer case at all to it. one idea that i had was i could go with a divorce transfer case but im not shure how the driveshafts will work out i might have a problem with driveshaft angle on the rear axle and clearance issues on the front. is there any certain years or anything like that that would have a diffrent set up so i could bolt up a transfer case up to the tranny? i like the gear ratios of the tranny it sounds like it would be driveable and with the right axle gears and mabie a little better than stock motor it would be pretty peppy also
It can be fabricated to work...I recall a project with a T5 being used in a Bronco with a 351. I will see if I can find some info on it.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
I don't recall the T5 coming in anything that offered a 4x4 option, so you'd be looking at changing the output shaft and tailhousing. Advanced Adapters should have one for it, though it won't be cheap. With an EB theres no way you can fit a divorced case and be able to run a rear driveline. There just isn't enough wheelbase. I would just run the ZF5 and not worry about it. They're more than plentiful at junkyards for a SBF bolt pattern. Are you dead set on running the D20?
im not set on running anything other than the axles. im not even shure on the motor yet ive also concidered putting a small 4 cyl turbo diesel motor in it or whatever i think will fit under the hood without alot of modifications

Quick Reply: 5.4 manual tranny?