F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Banks Powerpack with Superchip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2000, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Banks Powerpack with Superchip?

I have been considering adding modifications to my 1997 PSD F-350 crewcab. I sue the truck primarily for towing a large horsetrailer. The data showing the performance of the Banks Powerpack is impressive, but I hear alot of complaints about the Bank's chip reliability. Has anyone put the Powerpack on with a 50/100 or 75/150 Superchip instead of the Bank's chip? What kind of results could one expect?

------------------
Dave S
1997 F-350 CrewCab with PSD

Old 08-29-2000, 01:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Dave,

One thing to remember is that since you have a non-intercooled Powerstroke (intercoolers were introduced in 1999), the power gains from the Superchip alone are not 50/100, it's more like 40 hp & 75 lbs./ft. of torque for all of the 1995-1998 Powerstrokes. Those model years also have the "Offroad" version of the Superchip available, which increase the power gains to about 65 hp & 100 lbs./ft. of torque, approximately, in those 95-98 PSD's. Just remember that with the "Offroad" version, you will need to use at least a K&N air filter to open up the intake, and if you run it really hard, you may need to open up the exhaust a bit as well.

In the 1999 & newer Powerstrokes, the first power level of Superchip available is the "50/100" program, which adds 50 hp and 100 lbs./ft. of toprque, and does not require any other changes to your vehicle. Then there is the "Offroad" version, which adds 70 hp & 120-125 lbs./ft. of torque, and also requires an opened intake. Then there is the "Extreme" program, which adds 100 hp & 190-210 lbs./ft. of torque, and that program requires an EGT, opened intake, & opened exhaust.

You can use the Superchip by itself, without the rest of either of the the Banks kits.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 09-11-2000, 01:37 PM
Question

We own a 96' Powerstroke 4X4 that has the Banks stinger plus kit. I have everything, but the intercooler. I started having problems with the truck not starting once I installed the chip. It hasn't done it for about a year. I've never been impressed with their chip or their exhaust for that matter. Would I notice a big improvement with your standard chip Mike, O would I be more satisfied with your offroad chip? I built an open air intake to help tings. I've been thinking of cutting the cat and muffler and just run a sraight pipe with a Y.

------------------
1999 F-250LD 4X4 XLT Supercab, Short Bed, 5.4L, AT, 3.73LS, 33"Wrangler ATS, Custom Dual Exhaust, Custom Air Intake, Superchip, Factory Step Bars, Tinted Windows, Vent Visors, Diamond Tool Box & Bed Rails, Color: Harvest Gold cc "Ready to Farm"

Old 09-11-2000, 06:07 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Funkster,

Well, the pre-1999 Powerstrokes don't come from the factory with the intercooler, that started in the 1999 model year, but of course you probably already know that.

Going with the "Offroad" version of the Superchip does require that you have the intake opened up, and it's also a good idea to have the exhaust opened up a bit as well. I wouldn't run a "straight exhaust", as the catalytic converters of today don't have anywhere near as much backpressure as they used to years ago, so therefore I'm in favor of retaining emissions compliance, simply because it's good for the Earth (actually, for *us*), and it doesn't hurt performance like it always used to.

Where the 1999 & newer PSD's pick up 50 hp & 100 lbs./ft. of torque with the "standard" Superchip, your 1996 non-intercooled model will pick up a little bit less, 40 hp & 70-75 lbs./ft. of torque. Then going up to the "Offroad" version will increase your total power gain to 65-70 horsepower, and about 100 lbs./ft. of torque, give or take a few lbs./ft.

Because only the "standard" Superchip is emissions certified and gains the most mileage benefits, I would say to start with that one, and then if you find that you still want more power, we can reprogram it with the Offorad program if you want to at a later date, very easily. Or, you can just start off with the Offroad version, but I would suggest using the standard program first, but that's up to you.

Given everything you've done to that truck, I'd say we probably should talk over the phone and go over this in a bit more detail, to see which is going to work the best for what you have there, and to go over all the various options thoroughly, so you can take your time and give it some thought, and then decide which way you want to go.

Your "no-start" problem was most likely connection-related, and I would suggest that you remove the chip, make sure those contacts are fully cleaned and then re-seat the chip firmly. We've seen situations where a Superchip was installed and ran fine for a full year and even longer, with never a problem. Then the customer sends it back in for an update with a custom program, for example, puts it back in, and then it doesn't start, and that's very clearly a connection-related problem.

What can happen sometimes is that enough of the clear-colored conformal coating is removed that it will allow the chip to make a good connection and run, but then over the course of some time, and sometimes a lot of time, a little bit of that conformal coating can still be somewhere on 1 or more of the contacts, and it only takes a tiny amount to migrate just bit over time, due to thermal expansion & contraction, and then you can get an interrupted connection, we have seen that happen on occasion.

So I'd suggest pulling it, double-check your contacts, and then re-seat it anytime you have a no-start.

Good luck!
------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 09-11-2000).]

Old 09-16-2000, 01:50 AM
If you are REALLY interested in power go here. http://www.dieseldynamics.com/

The problem w/ chips is that I've heard of guys complaining on the diesel page that they've gotten dyno's done are some were really disappointed.

An acquaintance of mine sells the superchip, the Western Diesel and The Diablo.
Currently, the diablo will give you better performance than any of the chips out there.
They have a custom order of 100hp/300tq. I've seen a lot of guys drop the SC to go to either the WD or Diablo. The co who makes the Diablo has been manufacturing automotive electronics and ECM?PCMs for almost 25 years.
WD specializes in diesels.

I did personally talk to a guy who has the DD system in his PSD. He truck is now quicker than his wifes 5.0 stang. Plus he's getting in the neighborhood of 20mpg. He says she can't catch him until he hits about 90 or so.

I'm ordering a PSD and if for some reason I don't go DD, who knows, Hypermax would be my next bet. They make 400hp systems that, as i've been told by their R&D guy that the trq should be close to 1000ftlbs.
http://www.cl.ais.net/~hypermax/

feel free to email me if you need more help

------------------
Dr.(wife says i'm spoiled) Jones.
2000 F-150 5.4L(whatpowerawaitsthee)
AUTO,SC-sb 4x4-XLT, 3.55LS, 8.8 front- 9.75 rear, sidesteps, sprayed in liner, 17"wheels ORP, trailer-tow pkg, CD, Cpt chairs, 4whl ABS, Keyless Entry, Airbox silencer removed/K&N, Amsoil(transfercase, motor, rearend), 3" custom dynomax ultra flow catback, as an anniversary gift. PSD coming for christmas!
djones01@elp.rr.com

Quick Reply: Banks Powerpack with Superchip?