F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

New exhaust w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New exhaust w/ pics

OK so it's not really a "new" exhaust...mostly just a new tip. Unlike some people...ehem...JesseRohr....ehem...... I can't afford buying an entirely new exhaust system right now, so for the time being I cut the muffler off and ran 4" straight pipe from the turbo back w/ no cat into a 5" 45 degree elbow that dumps right after the cab. I got the tip from xtremediesel.com -thx Jesse
To be honest, I doubt I'll ever get an exhaust system now because it sounds GREAT. Tell me what you think.

It's a little difficult to see, so I may end up having the pipe adjusted down more, or run some more pipe so it dumps after the axle, not sure yet.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:58 PM

That tip looks strangely familiar, I like it. And i agree a straight pipe is a straight pipe, MBRP makes awesome stuff but for $1200 I'll take my custom $300 setup which sounds/performs identical.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Id run it over the axle dumped

Old 08-18-2009, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by FL4X4
That tip looks strangely familiar, I like it. And i agree a straight pipe is a straight pipe, MBRP makes awesome stuff but for $1200 I'll take my custom $300 setup which sounds/performs identical.
Do you have the same tip?? I love the way your exhaust looks, I may have to steal that setup from you

Old 08-18-2009, 01:02 AM

I'm all for dumped exhaust along with the 'cleaner' look of no tailpipe, but if it were me, I'd take it further out on account of the soot.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tycoz
Do you have the same tip?? I love the way your exhaust looks, I may have to steal that setup from you
Its not exactly the same, yours has a straight 45* angle mine has a bit of a smoother bend and its not quite as long, its also 6" in diameter.

here's kind of an older pic

wouldn't be hard to set yours up the same way

Old 08-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Looks good. Do you pull with that gooseneck I see there?

Old 08-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by JesseRohr
Looks good. Do you pull with that gooseneck I see there?
Thx...Good eye Jesse. I haven't used the goose neck yet, it's actually a Pop-Up retractable ball. Our toy hauler was just a standard type receiver, but I'd like to get a 5th wheel in the future. Here is a pic when my truck was still stock.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tycoz
Thx...Good eye Jesse. I haven't used the goose neck yet, it's actually a Pop-Up retractable ball. Our toy hauler was just a standard type receiver, but I'd like to get a 5th wheel in the future. Here is a pic when my truck was still stock.
The good thing about already having a GN is you can use a kingpin adapter if you get a 5th wheel trailer - depending on the weight. The kingpin adapter will support 24,000 lbs. gross trailer weight & 6,000 lbs. gross tongue weight.

Sure it costs about the same as a complete 5th wheel hitch but you don't have to worry about carrying the extra weight or taking the hitch in & out of your bed. Plus it's adjustable for different bed heights so you can level out the trailer.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Tycoz, is that set up just a CAT delete pipe and a tip that you are running? If it is I may have to do something similar on my truck until I can do a turbo back.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Budha05STX
The good thing about already having a GN is you can use a kingpin adapter if you get a 5th wheel trailer - depending on the weight. The kingpin adapter will support 24,000 lbs. gross trailer weight & 6,000 lbs. gross tongue weight.

Sure it costs about the same as a complete 5th wheel hitch but you don't have to worry about carrying the extra weight or taking the hitch in & out of your bed. Plus it's adjustable for different bed heights so you can level out the trailer.
Cool
Originally Posted by dsq3973
Tycoz, is that set up just a CAT delete pipe and a tip that you are running? If it is I may have to do something similar on my truck until I can do a turbo back.
Its actually straight pipe from the turbo all the way to the tip. The previous owner had an aftermarket muffler on there w/ no cat but I didn't like the muffler cause it was too quite plus I dented it pretty good offroading one day before it was lifted, so I just cut the muffler off and added this tip.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:30 PM
How loud is it cruising and under acceleration with the trailer on behind the truck. If I do this and its to loud in the cab I will never get my wife to do long trips with the fifth wheel.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
that looks good but I like dual 4"s 90* behind the rear tires, nothing like fogging up a hill leaving twin clouds that melt into one

them yeller superduties are starting to grow on me

Old 08-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
How loud is it cruising and under acceleration with the trailer on behind the truck. If I do this and its to loud in the cab I will never get my wife to do long trips with the fifth wheel.
It definitely amplifies the turbo spool sound at accleration. Crusing speed it quiets down and you don't really hear it, but going up a hill and during acceleration anything more than half throttle and you get that sweet V8 growl and its loud....something you don't hear w/ a stock exhaust and many aftermarket ones.

You will hear the growl in the cab but at crusing speed it isn't too bad, pulling a trailer it gets a little louder but hey it's a truck, not a Cadillac I know what you mean though about the little lady, mines the same way. I'm probably going to dynamat the whole truck soon which will quite it down some & probably going to run more pipe so it dumps after the axle, maybe even duals like tarajerame suggested if my exhaust shop gives me a good price. Both options will reduce noise inside the cab.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:11 PM
I am going to do this because I am really the only one that rides in my truck 90% of the time and I will keep the stock exhaust if I dont like it. Plus I want to annoy my neighbor when I crank it up in the winter and let it run on high idle to warm it up.

Quick Reply: New exhaust w/ pics