F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Steering wheel shake.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering wheel shake.

Hey guys. Got some questions. My truck, 2006 F350 4X4 V10 has steering wheel shake on the highway going anything OVER 55-60mph. Gets worse at 65. Actually, it feels like the whole truck is trembling, but it might just be from the tires or brake rotors. Now, the first thing everyone says is, its the balance of the tires. I would agree, but I have 4 new OEM Ford wheels and 4 new Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires on my truck all balanced perfectly. I will say this though, the truck has been sitting in my driveway for a few months unused, and I noticed the brake rotors are pulsating now like you wouldnt believe, I guess due to rust buildup on them? So really my question is this: Maybe the tires have flat spots in them from sitting so long in the driveway? Also, can warped brake rotors make the steering wheel shake on the highway just driving along without touching the brake? And if so, maybe thats my problem, or I have a combination of both things, flat spotted tires and warped brake rotors. I know the brake rotors are warped, you should feel how they feel from sitting so long! Also I have read somewhere, dont remember where, that Goodyear tires never give a good or smooth normal ride, regardless if they are brand new or not, because of the way they are made. I need some ideas and opinions here guys before I start spending tons of money trying to see whats wrong. I called the dealer for prices on the brake parts and they are not cheap! I dont want to use aftermarket parts store rotors and pads cause I never have any luck with them. They either squeak and/or pulsate again in a few weeks or months. So I figured on sticking with OEM parts, unless you guys have a better suggestion. Sorry for the long post, but wanted to give as much info as I could. ~Mike

Last edited by SLP 97 CAMARO SS GUY; 08-20-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 PM

Its my understanding that this is normal for these trucks(mine does it too)

Ford sent me a letter last April addressing it. Here's a link to a separate forum which explains it a little. Looks like I wasn't the only person who got one.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...-today-226432/

Old 08-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Sounds like flat spots in the tires to me. Maybe take it on a looooong road trip to get em round again.

How many miles are on the truck? Could be a bad ball joint.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Sounds like flat spots in the tires to me. Maybe take it on a looooong road trip to get em round again.

How many miles are on the truck? Could be a bad ball joint.
I always wondered if one had a posi-unit if they just did a loooooong burnout if that would help round 'em out

Maybe not ....

Last edited by Pagnew; 08-21-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:12 PM
10,500 miles on the truck. I put 30 miles on the truck when I took it for a ride, but no change. Can warped rotors alone make a steering wheel shake or even tremble slightly?

Old 08-22-2009, 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
I always wondered if one had a posi-unit if they just did a loooooong burnout if that would help round 'em out

Maybe not ....
It won't. I roasted my old rear tires after I flat spotted two of em when I wrecked my truck and jackknifed while towing.

Originally Posted by SLP 97 CAMARO SS GUY
10,500 miles on the truck. I put 30 miles on the truck when I took it for a ride, but no change. Can warped rotors alone make a steering wheel shake or even tremble slightly?
From my experience, no. Only when braking. It needs more than 30 miles. Try 100.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:16 PM
I don't get any shake at all from my steering wheel, all the way up to 110 MPH. Smooth as silk, even with 35" M/T tires. I wouldn't think that it would be normal to have any shake at all.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shake.