F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Need help with a noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with a noise

New member, first post. I have an 04 f250 Superduty Supercab 4X4, with a 5.4, 38k miles. I've owned it since day 1. The original pirrelli tires are on for the summer and snow tires in the winter. I bought a plow for the truck the second year, and do my driveway and my inlaws. The truck is not used commercialy and I work close to home. I have noticed more and more a road noise like I had big mud tires on it on pavement (with the regular tires on). It increases with road speed, seems to start around 15 MPH and you hear it most between 25 and 45MPH and thats going easy on the gas peddle, not straining anything. You also hear it good just coasting along, and when descellerating all the way to a stop. U-joints feel tight, all fluids in the driveline were changed at a Ford dealer at about 30k. I seem to hear it more with the windows rolled up so I don't think it's tires. What am I looking for? Thanks

Old 10-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by red44
New member, first post. I have an 04 f250 Superduty Supercab 4X4, with a 5.4, 38k miles. I've owned it since day 1. The original pirrelli tires are on for the summer and snow tires in the winter. I bought a plow for the truck the second year, and do my driveway and my inlaws. The truck is not used commercialy and I work close to home. I have noticed more and more a road noise like I had big mud tires on it on pavement (with the regular tires on). It increases with road speed, seems to start around 15 MPH and you hear it most between 25 and 45MPH and thats going easy on the gas peddle, not straining anything. You also hear it good just coasting along, and when descellerating all the way to a stop. U-joints feel tight, all fluids in the driveline were changed at a Ford dealer at about 30k. I seem to hear it more with the windows rolled up so I don't think it's tires. What am I looking for? Thanks
It does it with both sets of tires? - the noise the same?

Old 10-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Honestly, I started hearing it after I removed the snowtires this spring. The snows make more noise than the originals and probably hid the sound I'm hearing. My manual hubs were a bear to turn and I though mabey that might be it. But after replacing them, the noise is still there. This is a manual 4WD lever, manual hub truck. It almost sounds like it's in 4W high, but it's not, ya know? Has that gear or chain sound. From the driver's seat, it feels like it's right down the middle of the truck but not in front of me, if that make any sense to you. Like it's on the back seat floor.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:35 AM
I would have to say yo have an uneven ware on your tire pattern. Look very closely at the tread. Try to rotate your tires to see if that changes anything. If it is not the tires then it is time to look at your diffs.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Next time you get the noise, kick it into 4x4 without locking the hubs and see what happens. I think I'm getting a similar noise. Sounds like a tire rubbing, right?

Old 11-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Is your noise gone?

Here's my comment from another thread: https://www.f150online.com/forums/3977114-post4.html .

Old 11-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Hey, this is a SD forum!

Did the noise go away nonetheless?

Trending Topics

Old 11-28-2009, 10:54 AM
My problem ended up being my right front wheel bearing, which, contrary to popular belief, are (kinda) serviceable.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Sorry I did'nt get back any sooner to post my findings. It turned out to be the drivershaft center/carrier bearing. Was'nt too expensive of a fix, and the noise is gone.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
My problem ended up being my right front wheel bearing, which, contrary to popular belief, are (kinda) serviceable.
Interesting, please explain more.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by taterthedog
Interesting, please explain more.
http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/nblube.php

Only instead of lubing them, you can knock them out and replace them. Used a long punch from the top (lug side) and tapped them out, then used a hammer and tapped the new ones in.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:37 PM
So you didn't do anything with the main bearing, just the spindle (needle) bearing. Is that right? I never ever took the main bearing apart, but if it was my truck, I would try to take it apart. I've never lost a bearing on mine, but I put in 2 sets of ball joints in less than 3 years.

Cool website, btw.

Quick Reply: Need help with a noise