F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Crank, No start, on 6.0 PSD

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank, No start, on 6.0 PSD

I have a question about an '06 f250 crew cab 6.0Psd, it has 60,000mi.

I test drove it once, went back to drive it home overnight.

The glow plug light went out very quickly and it started right up at the dealership. I drove 4 miles @ 50mph to the store on my way home. I sat idling for about 5 min while I adjusted the seat and pedals.

When I came out 10 mins later. Crank, no start.

The glow plug light went off after a few seconds. I tried cranking it, 30 seconds at a time for about 30 mins total, untill the battery went down. There was no smoke from the tailpipe, no sputter, just cranking.

During this time I tried.....
-Locking and unlocking the doors with the key fob (anti-theft), and the key.
-holding the accelerator on the floor.
-moving the shifter(automatic)
-holding the brake and parking brake
-jiggling anything that could be jiggled
-leaving the key on for two mins(glowplugs)

After it was towed back to the dealer the next day the salesman said it was the alternator! It seams the alternator when bad, and that let the batteries drain.

I work on all sorts of motorized vehicles for a living. This doesn't sound even remotely right. I tried to start this truck for 30 mins. It had plenty of charge in the batteries.

Does this sound plausible to anyone? Is there something different on a 6.0, that I'm overlooking?

Shelby

Old 10-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by sh3lby
I have a question about an '06 f250 crew cab 6.0Psd, it has 60,000mi.

I test drove it once, went back to drive it home overnight.

The glow plug light went out very quickly and it started right up at the dealership. I drove 4 miles @ 50mph to the store on my way home. I sat idling for about 5 min while I adjusted the seat and pedals.

When I came out 10 mins later. Crank, no start.

The glow plug light went off after a few seconds. I tried cranking it, 30 seconds at a time for about 30 mins total, untill the battery went down. There was no smoke from the tailpipe, no sputter, just cranking.

During this time I tried.....
-Locking and unlocking the doors with the key fob (anti-theft), and the key.
-holding the accelerator on the floor.
-moving the shifter(automatic)
-holding the brake and parking brake
-jiggling anything that could be jiggled
-leaving the key on for two mins(glowplugs)

After it was towed back to the dealer the next day the salesman said it was the alternator! It seams the alternator when bad, and that let the batteries drain.

I work on all sorts of motorized vehicles for a living. This doesn't sound even remotely right. I tried to start this truck for 30 mins. It had plenty of charge in the batteries.

Does this sound plausible to anyone? Is there something different on a 6.0, that I'm overlooking?

Shelby
It is very possible that it was not spinning the engine fast enough to start the 6.0 needs 550 PSI of oil pressure to fire the injectors and if the engine was hot and the oil was thin from being run for a while a no start situation can occur. The batteries in my truck went during this past winter and had it not been winter I am sure it would have left me in a parking lot some where.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:59 PM
suspect low ICP, could be a leaking STC fitting pretty common for no start when hot, does it start again when cold?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the help. I am pretty sure it is, like you said, low ICP.

Salesman called me said they put two batteries and an alt in it. He drove it all is good. The dealer is close, so I stopped in to drive it.

Same as before, drove to my first stop Crank no Start. This time they came fast to get me.

I think I can get a deal on this one!

Old 10-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Double post

Last edited by sh3lby; 10-28-2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Double post

Quick Reply: Crank, No start, on 6.0 PSD