F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Thinking of attemping a DIY tune up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of attemping a DIY tune up!

In order to save myself $350, Im thinking of doing a tune up myself on my 01 f350 v10. I just have no clue where to start and what a "real " tune up consists of. I know its plugs, air filter and pcv valve. But whats first? Im lost! Is it wort paying that much to have a pro do it? The truck has 80k miles and is getting about 200 miles to a tank, so im going to tey tuning it up first. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 11-18-2009, 05:24 PM
You should do the easy stuff first like the air filter i'm not sure how hard the pcv valve is, but i would go with that next then attempt the spark plugs and wires also you can try changing your Fuel Filter as well i reccoment a pro does that since its under presure, also make sure all your tires have the right air pressure in them low air or to much can affect fuel mileage, i do my tune ups my self they are pretty simple as long as you have the right tools, some time i getfrusterated with the spark plugs and wires but i always get through it when you go to buy new wires and plugs get the good ones of course them will save you time and money, my self i wouldnt pay 350$ for a tune up thats rediculous my best friend is going to UTI for auto machanics if i dont have time to do some of my stuff i slap him 75$ and he will basically do anything for me, i wouldnt pay a pro unless you absolutely have to. and of course only do it if you know what you are doing i hope i helped good luck with the tuneup

Old 11-18-2009, 06:14 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
That engine does not have spark plug wires, it uses COP (coil on plug).

Get a set of OEM Motorcraft plugs, do not use antiseize, torque them to 28 ft/lb. Before reinstalling each COP, grease the inside of the boot with dielectric grease. When the COP's start going out, buy a full set from Global Automotive or Uneek Supply on Ebay for about 100 bucks. You will know when they are going - it will run rough right after it shifts into overdrive at light throttle openings, but generally won't trip a CEL unless the miss gets REAL bad.

Air filter is simple to change, the fuel filter isn't too bad if you have the set of disconnect tools. PCV valve shouldn't need to be changed, pull it out and soak it in some gas and blow it dry if you want. It wouldn't hurt to clean the MAF sensor when you change the air filter, just get a can of MAF cleaner and spray it down for about 5 seconds. The sensor tip is inside the intake tube, do NOT physically touch it with anything or you could break the fine wire.

It also wouldn't hurt to throw a couple bottles of Techron in the gas tank to clean the injectors.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:52 PM
thank you for correcting me glc

Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by MUD DIGGER
thank you for correcting me glc
he does that well too

Last edited by Pagnew; 11-18-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Thanks. Today I put in a new air filter and cleaned the MAF sensor, tire pressure and put some fuel system cleaner in the tank. Its the plugs that Im worried about. This may sound nuts, but where are the plugs even located on the v10?

Old 11-19-2009, 10:48 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
The plugs (with a coil on top of each) and the fuel injectors are on top of the engine right next to the valve covers. It may be easier to get at the plugs if you lift the fuel rails up.

Quick Reply: Thinking of attemping a DIY tune up!