F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

2008 and up differences

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 and up differences

Hello,

I am in the market for a truck and looking to get a Ford F-250. What are the major differences in look in the F-250 from 2008 year model and up? I do prefer the Diesel and 4x4 which leads me into my next question. I have seen some with f4 and just 4x4. What is the major differences in those?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:50 PM
For 2008 and up... The changes are pretty obvious. Motor, tranny, front end, interior, etc. FX4 vs 4x4... some stickers and a skid plate. There really isn't a difference between the 4x4 Off Road package and FX4.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 PM
The 4x4 offroad package difference from early '08 builds into '09 was shocks. Both came with skids, but the '09 offered Rancho shocks like the FX4 trim package. There was an FX4 trim line with painted bumpers and different interior dash and door pieces, and generally all black on the inside, like the FX4 F150.

For 2010 the FX4 trim was replaced by the Cabela's FX4 trim, and the FX4 package itself returned to every trim line except XL and I think the Harley as just a skid, shock, and sticker package. IMO, the Rancho shocks are a nice addition alone and provide a better ride.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by SFCFX4
IMO, the Rancho shocks are a nice addition alone and provide a better ride.
Those "Rancho" shocks are nothing more than Ford shocks with a Rancho sticker.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
You sure? They're white...with a red shock boot...say "Rancho". Look just like the ones I used to have on my Jeep.

If I were Rancho, I'd be pissed Ford was passing my shocks off as their own.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:55 AM
They're Rancho "branded" shocks. With a can of white spray paint and a sticker, I could make my Cavalier have Rancho shocks...

Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Technically they're not Ford made Motorcraft shocks at all. They're Motorcraft branded Rancho branded shocks made by Monroe.

All the shocks for the F-250, 350, and up come from one place. A monroe shocks plant in Cozad, Nebraska. As well as every Rancho shock made. Rancho is owned by Monroe, and there's no such thing as a "Motorcraft" shock. That just means that its a component bought from a supplier that meets their specifications. I work as a product engineer at the plant that makes these shocks and they are all built from the same components. But don't assume that aftermarket Ranchos are better than the ones coming on the Ford trucks from the plant, cause they're not. Fact of the matter is, besides the rust (which I'm sad to say is just the fact that it shows through the white better that it does the black) the shocks that come on an OE truck are held to much tighter specifications than those sold as aftermarket. Lets face it, who's tougher to please? A ford plant and new customer, or someone thats got 100K miles on an old pickup that's shocks have been trash for 50K? The latter is going to be much easier to please.

You might go look at the black OE shocks on a Superduty sometime...there's probably rust there to, but does it show much?

(Believe it or not, Ford actually allows there to be rust at weld areas)

So quit thinking there's some big difference. You pay for the FX4 package cause Ford paid Monroe a lot of money not just to re-paint the shocks (we already make rancho's there wasn't that much cost there) but to specifically "re-valve" those shocks for offroad applications. You wouldn't believe the time and energy spent by teams of engineers working out of trailers at Ford proving grounds tuning shocks for every different combination of engine, wheelbase, drivetrain, etc. Every one gets a different part number (unless we get lucky and the same valve code works on more than one)

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/22...ed-shocks.html

All the shocks for the F-250, 350, and up come from one place. A monroe shocks plant in Cozad, Nebraska. As well as every Rancho shock made. Rancho is owned by Monroe, and there's no such thing as a "Motorcraft" shock. That just means that its a component bought from a supplier that meets their specifications. I work as a product engineer at the plant that makes these shocks and they are all built from the same components. But don't assume that aftermarket Ranchos are better than the ones coming on the Ford trucks from the plant, cause they're not. Fact of the matter is, besides the rust (which I'm sad to say is just the fact that it shows through the white better that it does the black) the shocks that come on an OE truck are held to much tighter specifications than those sold as aftermarket. Lets face it, who's tougher to please? A ford plant and new customer, or someone thats got 100K miles on an old pickup that's shocks have been trash for 50K? The latter is going to be much easier to please.

You might go look at the black OE shocks on a Superduty sometime...there's probably rust there to, but does it show much?

(Believe it or not, Ford actually allows there to be rust at weld areas)

So quit thinking there's some big difference. You pay for the FX4 package cause Ford paid Monroe a lot of money not just to re-paint the shocks (we already make rancho's there wasn't that much cost there) but to specifically "re-valve" those shocks for offroad applications. You wouldn't believe the time and energy spent by teams of engineers working out of trailers at Ford proving grounds tuning shocks for every different combination of engine, wheelbase, drivetrain, etc. Every one gets a different part number (unless we get lucky and the same valve code works on more than one)

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/21...-question.html

Huh, learn something new every day.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:07 PM
2008 trucks with the tow command trailer braking control displays on a small screen near the thumb slider whereas 09+ displays in the driver information center. The function didn't change, so nothing big there.

Early 2008 Job 1 4wd trucks recieved the shorter lower valence below the front bumper. Later 4wd trucks got a longer valence which supposedly increased mileage somewhat. My 2009 came with the longer valence but it got ripped off in the pasture. I bought the shorter valence (the same found on 2wd trucks) to replace it and haven't had a problem with it off road yet because it's much shorter. I also haven't noticed a decrease in mileage on my gas truck.

2008 & 2009 trucks with the diesel engine and 4wd came with the 3.73 axle ratio. In late 2009 and now in 2010, the 3.55 axle ratio became an option, and I think for 2010 it became the standard ratio. In fact, I'm not sure if the 3.73 ratio is even available in a diesel single rear wheel truck for 2010. Someone will have to check me on that, however.

Late 2009 and newer trucks became available with the Tough Bed, the factory spray in bedliner.

Some early 2008 diesel trucks will not alert the driver a regen cycle is taking place. But the dealership can update the software with a simple flash. I hear there have been several software updates since the 6.4L was released.

Most of the differences save for the axle ratio changes were minor things. My 2009 is a 4x4 Off Road package which got all terrain Continental Conti-Trac tires (worthless garbage!), Rancho randed shocks, fuel tank & transfer case skid plated, and the sticker. For 2010, the 4x4 Off-Road package was simply renamed "FX4 Off-Road."

The 2008 & 2009 FX4 package was actually a completely different trim line like the Lariat is different than the XLT which is different than the King Ranch. The FX4 in those years landed between the XLT trim and Lariat trim in amenities.

Last edited by seminaryranger; 01-30-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Nothing I can add except for 08 and up at least 5 miles per gallon worse fuel milage.
I'm sitting at 9.2 mpg right now pulling 3000 lbs.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by klassic
Nothing I can add except for 08 and up at least 5 miles per gallon worse fuel milage.
I'm sitting at 9.2 mpg right now pulling 3000 lbs.
Something is seriously wrong with yours then. Our '09 F350 gets 16 in town, about 17 highway and 11-12 towing a trailer at least double the weight of yours.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:54 PM
I happen to like my red and white "fake" Rancho shocks a lot. My truck rides like a...truck. A big, mean, harsh-riding truck. I freakin' love my truck. I have had no issues at all with my truck. I have the heavy duty front springs and barely get any lean at all when cornering. If I wanted something that rode smooth, I would buy a Lincoln. It's usually the guys with old trucks that put down the new stuff, and I take it with a grain of salt. They put down the new engines, the new suspension, the new transmissions, the new interiors. Everything new sucks and all the old stuff is awesome. According to them, Ford started building crap in 2003, and if you don't have an old beater with a 7.3L, then you're driving a piece of crap. Whatever. I've driven both, and I know that Ford makes a great truck. Ford knows that we're not idiots. They aren't paying some Mexican to sit out back with a can of white spray paint, making Rancho shocks out of regular OEM shocks.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by SFCFX4
Something is seriously wrong with yours then. Our '09 F350 gets 16 in town, about 17 highway and 11-12 towing a trailer at least double the weight of yours.
I don't know what they put in the Texas diesel...?
I almost, but barely, saw your numbers in my 06, for the three years I had it.
My 09 has been like this since it was born November 08.
(I'm pulling 3000 lbs everyday 85% hwy)

I can almost watch the needle drop during regen.

I'm glad I just lease them...hope the 2012 is better on my fuel card.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by klassic
I don't know what they put in the Texas diesel...?
I almost, but barely, saw your numbers in my 06, for the three years I had it.
My 09 has been like this since it was born November 08.
(I'm pulling 3000 lbs everyday 85% hwy)

I can almost watch the needle drop during regen.

I'm glad I just lease them...hope the 2012 is better on my fuel card.
I think you need to go to the dealer and check the latest PCM updates. You might be long due for a reflash. You do pull a trailer a lot, what kind is it? Does it have the aerodynamics of a brick? We don't tow a trailer every day, maybe 4 days out of the week. It's a 16ft flatbed loaded down with stone.

Mine will barely dip in mileage during a regen. Motorcraft Cetane Booster is added with every tank though.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm pulling a 16' enclosed trailer with a "v" nose.
Without the trailer and mostly city I have never gone above 12mpg.

I know what the dealer is going to say.... but I guess it is time for a visit anyway.

I'm seriously looking at getting the DPF removed. (shh..can't talk about that here)

Old 01-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Well that is a good sized trailer, but I think guys running the F450 get about the same mpg pulling triple what you are. But that unloaded mileage you're getting, especially for an F250, seems way too low. What's the truck's setup and gearing?

Quick Reply: 2008 and up differences