F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Gonna make it bomb proof

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRock
sorry guys, not getting emails notices from F150OL

Correct, thought process was to go ahead and do the work before the warranty is out (Not as a warranty claim)...its crap shoot I know but to me spending the $$ on it to make it 90% less prone for catastrophic failure is good money spent,

Besides the cost to fix after a failure is about the same price.

This is the first I have heard of injectors being a byproduct of using tunes? Can you explain that to me?

And by Tunes I don't mean the canned out of the box blow up tunes, I have Innovative Diesel Tunes...I think they are something like 25, 50 and 50, tow. Those seem pretty low key compared to the "canned" stuff I have seen out there.
Allow me to explain a little, The 2 biggest reasons 6.0 injectors fail.

1.Loss of fuel pressure, basically lack of fuel pressure=lack of lubrication=damage. The factory fuel system is fine for the stock tune normally, unless under high load. I don't see you running into this problem with such a mild tune, unless you have a very very heavy foot. Invest in a fuel pressure gauge and keep it monitored, 55 psi or better at WOT and your in the green.

2.Crappy engine oil. This is the biggest reason, its also the easiest to prevent. Just keep clean engine oil in your truck or buy a remote bypass kit. Tuners come into play here when your running high horse power over stock. The more soot you produce the more contaminated your oil gets. A 50 horse power tune shouldn't smoke at all.

Last edited by FL4X4; 02-15-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by FL4X4
Allow me to explain a little, The 2 biggest reasons 6.0 injectors fail.

1.Loss of fuel pressure, basically lack of fuel pressure=lack of lubrication=damage. The factory fuel system is fine for the stock tune normally, unless under high load. I don't see you running into this problem with such a mild tune, unless you have a very heavy foot. Invest in a fuel pressure gauge and keep it monitored, 55 psi or better at WOT and your in the green.

2.Crappy engine oil. This is the biggest reason, its also the easiest to prevent. Just keep clean engine oil in your truck or buy a remote bypass kit. Tuners come into play here when your running high horse power over stock. The more soot you produce the more contaminated your oil gets. A 50 horse power tune shouldn't smoke at all.
FL4X4...thanks for that post...I had no idea...I do have a Coolant Filter system there now, I use Rotella oil...change ever 5K and fuel fiters every 12-15K.

Guess I have some more thinking to do....had many PSD Mech's tell me, to fix the EGR system or do a bypass and you solve 90-95% of the issues with the PSD.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:43 AM

Honestly I don't see you running into fueling problems with such mild tunes, it really depends on how you drive.

There are quite a few bypass kits out there for these engine its an excellent investment IMO.

Here's some good information on 6.0 injectors I googled

http://www.accuratediesel.com/shop/137.html

Quick Reply: Gonna make it bomb proof