F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Why do you drive a Super Duty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you drive a Super Duty?

I know there are a lot of reasons that Super Duty owners drive what they drive, most use them for work trucks. Tell us why you drive your Super Duty. I will go first.

I drive my Super Duty as a daily driver. I work in an office. I don't own a boat or a camper or a trailer of any kind. Other than some weekend warrior stuff, my truck sees no work at all. I go offroad occasionally, but not really enough to warrant having a large truck. I bought my truck brand new, and could have bought anything I wanted. MSRP was $50k, and there were plenty of vehicles in that price range. I drive a truck because I like driving a truck. I have been criticized by other truck owners for not using the truck for its capabilities. I don't understand that. Would they rather I drive a BMW or a Corvette or a Lexus? I know I am not the norm, but I bought and drive what I like. If you don't like it, I really don't give a damn!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:35 PM

Street/Strip/Toy/Daily Driver what ever you want to call it. My bed is always empty and I have a D-shackle in place of a hitch ball. I bought it because of personal preference. Everybody has a hobby they waste money on, this is mine.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:42 PM
I am alot like you guys my truck is a DD, grocery getting, kid hauling, 5er towing, toy. It is really nice knowing that you can carry or tow what ever you want when ever or where ever you want to.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:32 PM
I wanted 4wd, and I didn't want to feel my boat while towing it. That, and I wanted to be able to tow more. The mileage was a bonus. It's not really a DD though since I have my car. This month, I will put maybe 300 miles on the truck, which is nice.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Because it can tow anything we've got and be comfortable while doing it. It's a Lariat, but it gets worked. I leave the daily driving to my F150.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:01 PM
I bought a Super Duty because I really wanted a truck with a manual transmission and a manual 4wd system. I get a lot of grief over all the "trouble" I have to go through to use 4wd... get out, lock the hubs, and manually pull back a lever. My folks just can't appreciate my love of simplicity.

Another big reason I drive a Super Duty is because my truck's window sticker was very close to a similarly equipped F150. The F250 is, naturally, a much more substantial vehicle in it's underpinnings. And knowing that I use my truck off road regularly, I opted for the brutally tough Dana 60 front axle and locking hubs. The only thing the F150 had available that I wanted in 2009 was the electronic locking rear axle. I hate the limited slip and plan to replace it someday soon.

People give me grief for buying a Super Duty to daily drive froom time to time. But I frequently get the verbal lashing and dispair from internet folks over buying a Super Duty with the 5.4L Triton V8 engine. I think they simply cannot comprehend how my truck even moves down the highway with such a small engine, much less tow 3.5 tons several times a year! It's like trying to explain to my folks that I actually prefer a lever-actuated transfer case- They just look at the truck and shake their heads in disapproval.

I drive a Super Duty because I believe that my truck will go the long haul and not let me down.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Bought my '02 for hauling everything I want to, and doing it easily. Bought my '08 only because it was a manual, and they don't make bolt action F-150s anymore.

No fancy automatic/towhaul/computer bs is gonna beat my left foot and right hand.

Adrianspeeder

Last edited by adrianspeeder; 02-22-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 AM
I bought my mine because I needed to tow and haul more than an F150 should. I'd say easily half the miles I put on mine are towing a trailer or hauling something. My current horse trailer is ~9500lbs loaded and I plan to upgrade to a larger, heavier one this year.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:05 PM
I pull about 4000 lbs almost daily, and I have a 13000lb 5'er.

You don't know what your missin' Freeky.

Going up long steep grades...listening to 30lbs of turbo screaming when the windows are down and there is a rock wall on the passenger side echoing the sound of the exhaust.....
drool....

Old 02-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by klassic
I pull about 4000 lbs almost daily, and I have a 13000lb 5'er.

You don't know what your missin' Freeky.

Going up long steep grades...listening to 30lbs of turbo screaming when the windows are down and there is a rock wall on the passenger side echoing the sound of the exhaust.....
drool....
I don't think I will ever go back...

Old 02-23-2010, 03:27 AM
Not super duties, but my buddy uses his 01 2500HD to do drainage/irrigation work, he just upgraded to it from his 99 2500 which is for sale. My other buddy uses his 04 2500HD to haul furniture for his Ethan Allen store and pull his airstream camper.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:21 AM
I towed a BMW 750iL on a car trailer from Milwaukee to Nashville a couple years ago, and coming through Chicago was a real treat. Road construction had the interstate divided up by cement barriers, and the space between the barriers was just barely wide enough for the truck to fit through. I thought I was going to scrape and was scared to death for about 10 miles. Fortunately, we made it through without a scratch. Thank goodness for the stability of the F250!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 AM
My truck was not my daily driver until I lost my job last spring. With that job I had a company car. Now that I am working again I have access to a company car off and on, but my truck has become a daily driver. I really like it. My original reason for my truck is

1) tow tractor equipment off and on and other farm equipment to help out my relatives in-law at times

2) off-road capabilty - stronger straight from axle than an independent configuration

3) strong gas motor for enjoying the sand dunes yet keeping the truck as light as possible

4) I really like the heavy duty components - not afraid of 'hurting' anything

Would I buy this same truck again if given the choice - YES!

Old 02-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Man, now I want to trade my 150 in for a "real" truck Thanks guys, so now I realize how heap mods really are if you are not buying a bigger truck.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:02 PM
I currently have a 2002 F150 but I'll give ya the reasons why I WANT a Super Duty!

1. It is a larger truck-My F150 is quite capable but even w/ it being a screw 4 peeps in a pinch can get tight.

2. NO IFS the SD's have SOLID AXLES not the 8.8 center section w/ CV shafts

3.Desiels!! Although Deisel costs more at the pump if you take care of them they will LAST DAMN NEAR FOREVER!!

4.the ability/capabilty to tow just about anything that you want

5.more aftermarket parts availble: I.E lifts, diesel upgrades {Banks for ex} and they are a more capable truck!!

These are just some of my reasons if I win the lottery the second thing that I'm gonna buy w/ the first thing bulding a house is order a 2011 F-350 SRW 4X4 Crew Cab short bed w/ the 6.7 scorpion diesel!! then add an 8" lift anr roll her on some 37's!!

Quick Reply: Why do you drive a Super Duty?