F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

ATTN: fellow 6.0 technicians

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
and personally I would take a Duramax over any diesel nowadays..

Old 03-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the duramax may be more reliable then the 6.0 and 6.4 and the allison is a good transmission. but I cant stand the rest of the truck.

ive been looking at a new 6.7 on a stand for the past 4 days and get to see my first 2011 6.7 truck tomorrow. and let me tell you Ford has done their homework on this engine.

the egr cooler can be out and on the bench in 30minutes, the oil cooler sits right beside the oil pan and can be removed in about 10 minutes. The egr valve is moved from the cold side to the hot exhaust side to reduce carbon buildup. The high pressure fuel pump is out right in front of the engine. all the injectors and glow plugs are accessable from outside(no more removing valve covers for these items) the lower section of the oilpan is a composite peice and separate from the rest and could be removed in 5 minutes if the pickup needs to be inspected. I can go on and on....to the untrained eye it looks like it might be packed in there and hard to work on...but its not. Its an engineering masterpeice IMO.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Suspended
that sucks.... Looks like we wont make much mone on labor.... oh well... these 6.0's will be around forever... those are garaunteed to come back for the same thing multiple times...

Old 03-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Suspended
We see the Duramax less than the others, 6.0, 6.5, 7.3, 5.9, etc... But when we do get a DMAX, its almost always headgaskets... but do it once and it'll be ok

Old 03-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
the duramax may be more reliable then the 6.0 and 6.4 and the allison is a good transmission. but I cant stand the rest of the truck.

ive been looking at a new 6.7 on a stand for the past 4 days and get to see my first 2011 6.7 truck tomorrow. and let me tell you Ford has done their homework on this engine.

the egr cooler can be out and on the bench in 30minutes, the oil cooler sits right beside the oil pan and can be removed in about 10 minutes. The egr valve is moved from the cold side to the hot exhaust side to reduce carbon buildup. The high pressure fuel pump is out right in front of the engine. all the injectors and glow plugs are accessable from outside(no more removing valve covers for these items) the lower section of the oilpan is a composite peice and separate from the rest and could be removed in 5 minutes if the pickup needs to be inspected. I can go on and on....to the untrained eye it looks like it might be packed in there and hard to work on...but its not. Its an engineering masterpeice IMO.

^^^^^ Agreed
I just finished my training on the 6.7L on friday. Looks like the best engine out there. Really accessable and won't have same failures as 6.0L. I'm also glad its not a HEUI engine anymore

Old 03-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Used to wrench on 6.0Ls for a living.

Made good money at it too. Gave it up a few years ago. Work on Cummins QSK60's now.
I would buy a 6.0L for my own truck though. Runs good when it's working right.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Suspended
Hey you guys, I ran into a 6.0 today that is giving me the hardest time!!! Ford just recently put new injectors in holes 1,3,5,7. It still runs rough, white smoke no power. On power balance, number 7 is ALWAYS down. I kill it and it helps nothing. Soon while after it will take out 3,1, and 5. Motor will run and eventually die. I took fuel pressure at that head, its the same as at the 2nd fuel filter... I found the filter cap on the rail not tight, maybe thats where it was sucking air in at and wiped out those injectors???

I havent but a few hours in it yet, just wondering any opinions... The oil side is fine, ICPA and ICPDes are dead on.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Seen that before, loose fuel filter cap on frame. Fix that & see if it helps. If not, do balloon test to check for combustion gas in fuel system.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:19 PM
check your FICM Mpower PID while its acting up. see if its dropping down.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Suspended
Put new filters in with new seals ofcourse, also put a rubber glove on the end of the fuel line and got nothing... FICM powers and voltages stay the same...Like I said, this one is a fighter.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Suspended
turns out that truck just needed injectors AGAIN... junk was put in...

BTW- how do you guys test to see if a EGR cooler is plugged up on the exhaust side??? I put 5- PSI through the tail pipe, pulled out the EGR valve and had next ot nothing coming out. I took the EBP sensor out and the air was SHOOTING out, so it isnt a clogged cat.. I got a doggy truck that wont pass MAP nor EBP tests, EGR codes...

Old 03-17-2010, 08:17 PM
i have never seen an egr cooler plugged that way. But EBP sensor failures are very common. Monitor your EPB and MAP pids and make sure they are within 5psi of eachother with KOEO.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Suspended
they were fine together... I have never seen the exhuast side plugged either, but tha tdoesnt explain next to no flow when i have over 50 pounds coming in at the tailpipe... it should be a straight shot... before I pulled the EBP sensor out, I turned key to read the pressure I had in the system, it was about 52 PSI, so the EBP sensor is good

Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 PM
huh? 52 psi!?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Suspended
I put 50 pounds of air into the tail pipe, pressurizing the whole system, pulled EGR valve out, had no flow into the intake from the egr cooler... I loked on datalogger and the EBP_A read over 52 pounds, exactly what I had my regulator set up to, so the EBP sensor is fine.

Quick Reply: ATTN: fellow 6.0 technicians