F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F-350 SD 6.4 Diesel questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-350 SD 6.4 Diesel questions

Hi guys. Thinking about buying a 2008 F-350 S.D. Lariat 6.4 Diesel.

What can I expect as far as maintenance? This will be my first diesel truck. I will be towing a 30ft. travel trailer weighing 8000lbs. How is fuel mileage, power, problems, etc.?
I would appreciate any info you can provide.
Thanks!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Make sure it still has warranty, and if the warranty is almost done make sure you buy a FORD ESP. Repairs get very expensive very quick on 6.4s with 95% of injector problems leading to melted pistons.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Make sure it's a Job 3 if you have to get an '08, otherwise I'd keep an eye out for an '09. Way less problems with the Job 3 '08s-'09s.

Power is terrific, mileage will depend on your right foot and how well you take care of it and stay on your maintenance. We pulled a load coming in around what your TT weighs and I believe we were getting 11-12 mpg. That's in a 350 CC LB SRW 4x4 with 3.73 gears and 20" wheels.

The manual is going to say 10,000 between oil changes, but it would be best to get em done every 5,000. Every 15,000 will be your fuel filters and air filter. As an example, the last service we did on ours for an oil change and all the filter changes was $350.

Every month it would be in your best interest to crawl under the truck and drain the water from the water separator, even if the Water In Fuel (WIF) light comes on. What you'll look for is underneath the truck, right by the transmission on the driver's side. You'll see what looks like a silver metal box with a yellow valve. Stick a clear bottle underneath it and release the valve. Once all the clear stuff comes out and you get to fluorescent yellow liquid, you're all done.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Like SFCFX4, I change my oil every 5,000 miles, but I do it myself. I use 4 gallons of Rotella 5w-40 Full Synthetic and a Motorcraft filter, and it costs about $100. I am about to buy both oil filters and air filter here:

Oil Filters - $45

Air Filter - $50

Both oil filters come in the kit for $45 and the air filter is $50.

So, all told, an oil change and air filter and fuel filters cost about $195 if you buy online and do it yourself.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:13 PM
I just ordered the air filter, both fuel filters, and the oil filter. They are all Motorcraft, and the total, with shipping, came to $125.80. I'll pick up the oil at WalMart for $20 per gallon. I've heard that the fuel filter on the separator is tough...should be fun! I just turned over 14,300 miles today.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
I just ordered the air filter, both fuel filters, and the oil filter. They are all Motorcraft, and the total, with shipping, came to $125.80. I'll pick up the oil at WalMart for $20 per gallon. I've heard that the fuel filter on the separator is tough...should be fun! I just turned over 14,300 miles today.
if you havent changed filters on a 6.4 before make sure you follow these steps.

change the lower filter first. then remove the upper filter and have a buddy cycle the key untill the fuel bowl is about half full and no more air is getting pumped in, then install the new upper filter and cap. the turn the key ON and leave it on for 30 seconds(do this 3 times). If you dont follow thses steps you will air lock the fuel system and you will need to get it bled at your dealer$$$.

you may have already known this, just a heads up.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
if you havent changed filters on a 6.4 before make sure you follow these steps.

change the lower filter first. then remove the upper filter and have a buddy cycle the key untill the fuel bowl is about half full and no more air is getting pumped in, then install the new upper filter and cap. the turn the key ON and leave it on for 30 seconds(do this 3 times). If you dont follow thses steps you will air lock the fuel system and you will need to get it bled at your dealer$$$.

you may have already known this, just a heads up.
I had read that before, but thanks a ton! I had totally forgotten and probably would have screwed it up.

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2010, 10:51 PM
no problem, i found out the hard way my first time. i figured what the heck it cant be any different the a 6.0 right? wrong

Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 PM
I just got an '08 myself, only had it about 2 months. So far so good. I tow a 32 ft toy hauler.

I definitely recommend the ESP!!!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Dam, you guys are almost scaring me away from the diesel. I have always done my own maintenece on my vehicles just never done anything with a diesel before. If Im buying from a non-Ford dealer, can I still get the ESP?
And sorry for the ignorance but what is a job3?
Thanks alot guys!!!!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by 05Bluefx4
Dam, you guys are almost scaring me away from the diesel. I have always done my own maintenece on my vehicles just never done anything with a diesel before. If Im buying from a non-Ford dealer, can I still get the ESP?
Thanks alot guys!!!!
Check this site out.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...3-mean-212436/

I think you can buy an ESP or Extended Warranty from Ford even if you don't buy from a Ford dealership.

Doing your own service is actually pretty easy on the 6.4, especially the oil change. But it's going to be a lot more oil you're dealing with. The only real pain I've heard of is changing the fuel filters yourself.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks alot guys!!!!
you can still buy ESP if there is still some OEM powertrain warranty left. If all the OEM powertrain warranty is done you cannot buy ESP.

JOB 3 is just a production run, each JOB they make small changes/repairs to known issues that came up in previous production runs such as TSBs ect..

Old 03-24-2010, 02:54 AM
Mine is a Job 1. I haven't had any issues except the TSB for the venturi on the coolant de-gas bottle. I've been running a Superchips tuner on mine since day one, and the truck runs great. Good luck with the truck!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Guys,
Where can I find if its a JOB 1,2,3? Is it in the VIN?
Oil changes I will do myself. Fuel filters I will attempt. Im always willing to try and do the maint myself.
One more thing I just thought about.....I hope this thing fits in my garage!! I have a f-150 FX4 now with the leveling kit and I have no problems but the 350 is a little taller I believe.
Thanks for all your help!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Guys,
Where can I find if its a JOB 1,2,3? Is it in the VIN?
Oil changes I will do myself. Fuel filters I will attempt. Im always willing to try and do the maint myself.
One more thing I just thought about.....I hope this thing fits in my garage!! I have a f-150 FX4 now with the leveling kit and I have no problems but the 350 is a little taller I believe.
Thanks for all your help!
If you are buying the truck from a Ford dealer they should be able to get that information for you. I would also have them run and OASIS report and CARFAX on it as well.

Quick Reply: F-350 SD 6.4 Diesel questions