Ford may increase 6.7 numbers....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford may increase 6.7 numbers....

Source leftlanenews.com

Report: Ford may increase 6.7-liter Power Stroke numbers to beat GM
03/23/2010, 7:54 PMBy Mark Kleis
Ford officially revealed the power numbers for its all-new, in-house designed 6.7-liter turbocharged diesel in late February. Ford announced that the new Power Stroke diesel would produce 390 horsepower and 735 lb-ft of torque, which at the time, was best-in-class. Now that GM has announced the numbers for its revised 6.6-liter Duramax – coming in at 397 horsepower and 765 lb-ft of torque – Ford may be back to the drawing for a quick fix to regain their number one spot.

For years Ford has prided itself as a leader in the truck segment for America, often carrying the segment leading payload and towing numbers, despite trailing in power figures for most of the last few decades.

According to sources that spoke with PickupTrucks.com, it seems Ford is no longer settling for just best-in-class capability, as it wants to boast the best-in-class power and torque, too. It’s common knowledge that diesel engines often respond well to custom tuning, as well as modifications to intake and exhaust systems for “cheap” added power. Usually the re-tuning of the engine’s computer is left to aftermarket companies that sell either custom or “canned” tunes that promise bumps in power and fuel economy, but this time around it might be Ford playing a different tune in an effort to take the top spot for power.

As PickupTrucks.com points out, GM’s diesel offering is based on an aging and potentially limited 6.6-liter Duramax design, compared to Ford’s fresh design with its 2011 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel. Because GM has already managed to wrench out a significant bump in power and torque from its Duramax, Ford may be able to make some minor tweaks that could result in a bump to over 400 horsepower and more than 775 lb-ft of torque without affecting the durability of its new diesel, and without worry that GM will follow suit.

Before Ford cranks up the power on its diesel it must first consider the corresponding changes to emissions and fuel economy for its super Duty trucks. EPA regulations have grown increasingly stringent, leaving very little room for changes that will result in increased emissions. Although Super Duty trucks do not have to report EPA mileage numbers, customers will certainly take note of the real-world fuel economy when reaching for their pocket books. Ford’s previous diesel offering, a 6.4-liter Power Stroke, was known for poor economy compared to the rest of the class.

Should Ford makes power changes, expect them to come in the form of a re-tuned computer which will not require any physical changes to the trucks, allowing the trucks which were already produced to be re-programmed at the dealers to reflect the potential bump in power

Old 03-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lolz.... give it up!

The Izuzu takes the cake on this motor too!!!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
lolz.... give it up!

The Izuzu takes the cake on this motor too!!!
Only time will tell, Ford has done their homework on this one.
My thinking is Ford released its first numbers in anticipation of GM doing what they did. I imagine over 400hp was in the works from the very beginning...

Old 03-24-2010, 02:40 AM
Sweet! I knew that Ford wouldn't let the Isukzu Duracrap stay out front. That was great planning on Ford's part.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Ford has always been content to have less HP than the competition whether it is in the trucks, Mustang, or sedans unless it's an SVT product. I don't see the numbers changing. I expect the new F-150 motors to come in behind Dodge, Chevy, & Toyota in available HP as well.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1meanZ
Ford has always been content to have less HP than the competition whether it is in the trucks, Mustang, or sedans unless it's an SVT product. I don't see the numbers changing. I expect the new F-150 motors to come in behind Dodge, Chevy, & Toyota in available HP as well.
I would not be so sure of that!.......

Old 03-28-2010, 01:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Outstanding if it is going to happen... New engine with plenty of head room... Now it's time to wait and see...

Trending Topics

Old 03-28-2010, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by jdruzik
Outstanding if it is going to happen... New engine with plenty of head room... Now it's time to wait and see...
The 6.4 has plenty of headroom too!

Quick Reply: Ford may increase 6.7 numbers....