F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Ordering 2011. Need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering 2011. Need some opinions

If you read my other thread, you know I am in the process of ordering a 2011 4x4 SCrew Lariat Gasser. I don't need a diesel and did not want the 2010 gassers. I am not a fan of buying a 1st year engine so hopefully this does not bite me in the butt.
With all that being said, I have a couple questions that hopefully somebody can help with. I am using this truck to tow a 21 foot center console deck boat (3000 pounds). I am going to get the plow package so I can look at getting a plow to do some LIGHT plowing in the winter. I dont have a plow business so it will not be extreme. However, in a couple years I will probably wind up doing more plowing as well as towing some mowers in the summer. I am in the Army so there is no telling where this truck will wind up going over the next 6 years (Alaska, Texas, Georgia, etc).

So, here are my questions:

Axle ratio: The 3.73 non limited slip axle ratio comes standard on these trucks. Do I need a different axle ratio? Do I need the locking axle instead of non limited slip? If so, please give me a reason why. (I honestly don't know what non limited slip is)

Engine Block Heater: I think I will get this since I dont know where I will be stationed. Just looking for some opinions though.

Upfitter switches: Can anybody give me a reason I might need these? Would they come in handy with the plow? Resale later? I might get them anyway since they are not expensive.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I will probably be putting this together Sunday night/Monday morning.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:55 AM
If you plan on taking the truck offroad at all, then you definitely want either the limited slip or the selectable locking differential. I wouldn't go offroad without at least the limited slip.

Engine block heater is nice in northern states, but not really necessary on a gasoline engine.

Upfitter switches make life so easy when adding any electrical accessories. I have my #1 connected to my train horn solenoid, my #3 connected to my lower foglights, and my #4 connected to my compressors. If you add the upfitter switches, then it will also add the 240 amp extra heavy duty alternator.

In finishing, I recommend that you order everything that you want, even if you're not sure about it. It always costs more to add it later.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Get the locking differrential - it's only $390. I plow and my truck is useless unless it's in 4-wheel. And thats with 2500 lbs of salt in back. Perhaps not w/ a locking rear though. Here's a good link explaining differrentials: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

I don't have an engine block heater and I'm in WI. Not needed. If you can wait til the end of the year you will find new trucks with plows already on them and everything at 0% for 5 or 6 years.

I purchased my truck at Bob Allen Ford in Overland Park KS. It already had a Blizzard Speedwing plow on it. I got it cheap because they used it at the dealer that season. In retrospect, I would look at Boss plows. Plowsite.com is a great plow resource.

Wish I had the 6.2L

Old 04-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys. I think I will go with the locking dif. Freeky, I think I will go with the add ons, I was just curious what I might need them for. Thanks.
Ommegang, I would wait, but I need a truck now and am getting a great trade on my current truck. I am also probably getting X Plan pricing so I cant pass that up. I am here in Manhattan KS and went to **** Edwards yesterday. Once they found out the pricing plan I was going to get they low balled me BIG TIME on my trade value. So I will instead drive 600 miles to Indiana to get the truck.
I think I will go with the Engine block heater. it is only 75 bucks and if I happen to get stationed in Alaska it is required.
Thanks again guys. I will post what I wind up doing and whatnot.

Quick Reply: Ordering 2011. Need some opinions