F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Engine temp suddenly up and then down?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:51 AM
TWG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine temp suddenly up and then down?

I was driving an '07 F350 6L PSD with 56k miles towing about 8000 lbs up a grade. It was a long slow grade but nothing too bad. The motor was at about 3000 RPMs going 60 MPH. I had the tow setting on. Suddenly the engine temp guage shoots straight up and the "check engine temp" warning came on. The guy I was with said to turn the tow setting off so the truck would go into overdrive and cool off. That didn't seem right to me but I did it anyway. A few seconds later, the temp suddenly dropped back down to normal. I had to drive up a few more grades that were worse than that one and had no further problems.
Thoughts?

Old 04-23-2010, 01:05 AM
6.0's have an egr cooler it uses the engine coolant to cool the exhaust before it goes back into the engine. Usually coolant pukes out of the evap bottle when it gets that hot, most guys who own a 6.0 delete the egr cooler to eliminate this problem

Old 04-27-2010, 11:24 AM
TWG
Originally Posted by halerazor
6.0's have an egr cooler it uses the engine coolant to cool the exhaust before it goes back into the engine. Usually coolant pukes out of the evap bottle when it gets that hot, most guys who own a 6.0 delete the egr cooler to eliminate this problem
It happened again?! I cannot figure this out. I was going up a long mild grade. The truck was pulling just fine. Then all of the sudden the "CHECK ENGINE TEMP" warning light comes on. Then it cooled down as fast as it went up. WTF??!!!!!

I had the EGR cooler and oil cooler replaced after it happened last time.

Halerazor, I understand how coolant can puke out of the evap bottle but what is causing it to get so hot in the first place?

Someone guessed that I may be getting an air bubble in the cooler?

Is there any down side to an EGR delete?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by TWG
It will void your warranty. Might want to check your thermostat. How long was the truck running before it pegged out?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:42 PM
TWG
Originally Posted by Zaairman
It will void your warranty. Might want to check your thermostat. How long was the truck running before it pegged out?
The first time, the trailer had been hooked up about 10 minutes and I was about one minute into a long slow grade.

The second time I had gone up the same grade with no problem, then a longer slow grade, then a short but very steep grade with no problem. After about 2 hrs of driving I was driving up another long slow grade when it happened again.

I'll ask the service dept to look at the thermostat. Is there a chance it's not sensing temp correctly and/or not allowing coolant to flow?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by TWG
It happened again?! I cannot figure this out. I was going up a long mild grade. The truck was pulling just fine. Then all of the sudden the "CHECK ENGINE TEMP" warning light comes on. Then it cooled down as fast as it went up. WTF??!!!!!

I had the EGR cooler and oil cooler replaced after it happened last time.

Halerazor, I understand how coolant can puke out of the evap bottle but what is causing it to get so hot in the first place?

Someone guessed that I may be getting an air bubble in the cooler?

The downside to the delete is that it will void your warranty if you still have one and it is against the law because of emissions. The plus side is you'll never have to replace an egr cooler, no more coolant puking or overheating.

What is causing it to get hot? Most likely your egr valve is opening and the exhaust is flowing through the cooler.If you ever look at the egr cooler it is a 2in piece of exhaust tubing inside a 2-1/4in exhaust tubing. The coolant is in the outer pipe which is suppose to cool the exhaust but it actually works the other way and boils the coolant. If you look at the new 6.7 powerstroke they added a second coolant system seperate from the engine coolant just for the egr cooler. It is possible to have a blown head gasket letting hot air leak into the coolant, the 6.0 only has 4 head bolts per cylinder which is another weak link, most guys install ARP head studs for insurance, but most head gasket failure is caused by the egr cooler boiling the coolant and lifting the heads. If you want to talk to some experts head over to www.powerstrokenation.com their are lots of knowledgeable guys that will lead you in the right way

Old 04-28-2010, 12:24 PM
TWG
Well, I guess I'm not going to do the EGR delete. The truck is "certified pre-owned" through Ford so it still has a warranty and I bought the extended warranty up to 100k miles. With all the potiential issues, I'm thinking I better not mess with anything that could void the warranty.

What about the aftermarket EGR coolers? I looked at Bulletproofdiesel.com or something like that. Are those any better? And they did replace the EGR cooler and oil cooler before I picked it up. Does getting a new stock cooler help at all?

I still have 3 weeks before I have to register it. I have connections at the dealership and they said they'd take it back if I don't register it. Decisions, decisions.......

Trending Topics

Old 04-28-2010, 08:29 PM
if you have connections at the dealership you can probably get ARP headstuds installed under warranty. There are quite a few dealers that will install them under warranty if they have to replace the headgaskets. I don't know anyone that has installed one of those egr coolers it seems like it lets less gasses through it so it should keep the coolant colder, but it will void your warranty if the headgaskets fail it's just something they can blame it on.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 PM
I'd drive that bish into the dealership and tell them to fix it, or you're not buying it.

Like hale said, most dealerships will install ARP Headstuds, but you'll probably have to buy them.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Mine does that and I have an egr delete and head studs. Did exactly what u said. That being said I still haven't figured out whats going on. Its the first time it has done it. Thinking it might be the temp sensor???

Old 06-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by Deereman
Mine does that and I have an egr delete and head studs. Did exactly what u said. That being said I still haven't figured out whats going on. Its the first time it has done it. Thinking it might be the temp sensor???
do you have the egr cooler completely removed or just the egr valve removed

Quick Reply: Engine temp suddenly up and then down?