F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Spent some time under the hood and under the truck today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spent some time under the hood and under the truck today...

I hit 15,000 miles yesterday, so today was F-day (filter day). I had already picked up 4 gallons of oil, an oil filter, both fuel filters, and an air filter. I started out changing the oil and filter. Pretty straightforward. Then I replaced the fuel filter under the truck. Easy enough. Then I removed the fuel filter under the hood and pumped the air out of the system by cycling the key, or so I thought. I installed the new fuel filter, and the truck wouldn't start. I finally figured out that I had air somewhere in the system. When looking for the "high point" in the fuel system, I found a small schrader valve on top of the fuel cooler. I removed it and cycled the key until clear diesel ran out of the location where the schrader valve was. I reinstalled the schrader valve, and the truck started right up. Then I replaced the air filter, even though the info center still tells me that it is still good.

Air filter - $50
Fuel filters - $50
Oil filter - $15
Oil (4 gallons of full synthetic Rotella 5w-40)- $85
Total for all maintenance - $200

I don't think $200 is bad for full synthetic oil change, air filter, and both fuel filters.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:34 PM
By the way, I forgot to mention one other thing. I had noticed that my water seperator was draining very slowly. When I pulled out the lower filter, I found that the drain was all clogged up with what looked like crystallized chunks of salt. It was granular, like sand, but seemed to dissolve in the diesel. I cleaned it all out, but I was just curious if anyone knows what it could have been.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:39 PM
I have 2 JD diesel tractors and I have noticed the exact same thing in the clear plastic water filter "bowl" as well a few times. Don't know what it is either, but am intrested as well to see if anyone knows.

I spent a few days last month changing fluids and filters as well. I added in a transmission filter and fluid change as well plus was due for a engine serpent belt & 10 spark plugs!

Got everything done fine except for the belt change. Wasn't manly enough to push over the tensioner and switch the belts at the same time.

Ended up taking it to a local shop and paid 'em $25 to do it. Money well spent if it saves a hernia!

Later

Old 04-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I don't blame you for having someone else do that belt!

Old 04-18-2010, 11:59 PM

You gotta cycle the key 3-4 times for 30 seconds after changing filters on a 6.4 or it will air lock, like yours did lol. 6.0s are more user friendly.

Hard to say what that debris in your housing were with out seeing them

Old 04-19-2010, 12:06 AM
The entire bottom of the filter housing was caked with that stuff. It looked like that bath salt stuff...transparent and crystalline and dissolved in diesel. The truck drives great now though.

Quick Reply: Spent some time under the hood and under the truck today...