F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

new to me diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to me diesel

Just bought a 2001 f250 4x4. Supercab, longbox, 7.3 automatic. Transmission is toast. Dealer transmission guy says it's not fit to rebuild (and I know him personally and trust him) so I need a new transmission. Looking at buying one from dealer or possibly aftermarket super transmission. I'm more than likely going to chip the truck, and put on big rubber. Any transmission suggestions?
Or other suggestions even?

Old 06-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Old 06-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Suncoast is OK but their is only one guy who can build the 4r100 better than anyone else, That is Brians TruckShop (BTS) anyone who's into modifying 7.3 knows that BTS has the best transmissions. I see your from Canada so if your against paying the shipping for a BTS there is another awesome transmission builder NADP they are from Edmonton, Alberta

http://www.brianstruckshop.com/
http://www.nadp.ca/products.php?id=206#quickJump

Old 06-24-2010, 11:08 AM
I knew there was one more I could not think of.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:17 AM
I have emailed BTS already, but shipping is a concern to me. Edmonton is probably no closer though, just in the same country.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:00 PM
if you buy canadian you dont have to pay all the fees

when your ready to buy a chip pick one of these two tuners
www.dp-tuner.com
www.totaldieselperformance.com

Old 06-24-2010, 01:38 PM
If you have a buddy who works at a Ford dealer, then why doesn't he hook you up on a tranny? I know a fully updated 4r100 is around $1800 before tax uninstalled. That comes with a 3 year, 100K mile warranty. A BTS will run you in the $4000 range, with a "you break it we fix it" warranty.

Trending Topics

Old 06-24-2010, 04:26 PM
I get a good deal at the dealer anyway, as I used to be a tech there. I'm just wondering if the stock one will hold up well with big tires and a tune.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by taterthedog
I get a good deal at the dealer anyway, as I used to be a tech there. I'm just wondering if the stock one will hold up well with big tires and a tune.

Nope, it'll crap out just as easy or easier than the original one will. With a GOOD chip and larger tires any factory trans will die in short order.

BTS or John Woods are the 2 premier 4R100 builders out there, and even though they are more they will be the last trans you ever buy. I have a full Suncoast transmission and I'm wishing I'd gone the BTS route. I have the extreme rebuild kit and the SD1000 converter. Its ok and hasn't failed, but I've been fighting with shift flare and some other small issues for a few years now.

As for a chip, DP is decent, but you're better off with a Beans chip. I have a DP chip now and its worlds better than my old Edge stuff was, but I don't think its near what it should be. Right now I think Bean has the highest hp tune that is safe for a PMR truck (01-03 7.3L). Right now I'm in the process of getting my DP chip reburned by Beans, so take that for what its worth. Just make sure you get good custom tunes that don't have much advanced timing. If you're not careful then you'll be able to check on your connecting rods from outside the engine.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm not planning an "extreme" tune. I'm not racing or sled pulling. I'll probably run 37" tires. I will be working the truck, but nothing any harder than I'd put my current truck through. They are both F250s with 5.4s and 4r100s. It will mostly be a daily driver, hauling a couple snowmobiles or quads.

I was definately going with a custom tune from a good shop. I'll also be putting in a pyro, boost guage and trans temp.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Try 1 Stop Transmission in Peoria, AZ... I highly recommend them.

http://www.1stoptrans.net/

Old 06-25-2010, 10:56 PM
I checked some prices.

A Ford Transmission from the dealer retails for $3500. I get it at a significant discount however and I'm not going to post the price I was quoted because I believe it wouldn't be appropriate.

NADP in Edmonton recommended their "450 series Heavy Hauler" transmission, and quoted $3400. I'm still getting more info on this tranny, but it's what they recommended for a chipped diesel with larger tires.

I haven't heard back from BTS yet but it seems to be around $4000 from what people are saying.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:11 AM
NADP in Edmonton recommended their "450 series Heavy Hauler" transmission, and quoted $3400. I'm still getting more info on this tranny, but it's what they recommended for a chipped diesel with larger tires.

More than likely its just a slightly reworked reman 4R100. Every trans shop out there sells a "performance" 4R100 that they say is the best. So far there are only 2 trans shops out there that have been able to stand behind their trans and say it really works. Thats BTS and John Woods. Basically John and Brian reuse the case of the transmission and everything else inside is their parts to fix all of Fords design flaws. The one you listed won't be that way. It'll more than likely be a stock trans with extra clutches and maybe a shift kit.

I haven't heard back from BTS yet but it seems to be around $4000 from what people are saying.

For the most part you're not buying the BTS transmission, you're buying the warranty and customer service. Brian has gone far far out of his way to help out guys with his trans, even those that are long out of warranty. I remember seeing a post a few years ago about a guy who had a BTS that blew up while on a long trip. Brian arranged to get the truck shipped to him and ended up doing a complete rebuild along with all the updates he'd developed over the last couple of years. All Brian charged him for was his cost on the parts. The trans had over 100k on it and was over 5 years old, so it was well out of warranty. Somehow I doubt your trans shop would go that far. I would suggest doing some reading about BTS and John Woods on some of the PSD forums and see for yourself what their trans and customer service is like.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Just heard from BTS.

Their price is $4400 plus shipping and core. Lifetime warranty.

Now I'm just wondering is the truck worth it. I'd hate to put in a top of the line trans and then find out the truck is a POS.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Tell you what. You buy the BTS and ship it to me and I'll pull my fully built Suncoast trans and send it to you. If you're really worried that the BTS will be too good for your truck then my trans would be a perfect match.

FYI, the lifetime warranty part is new. I doubt you'll find anyone else with a transmission that will stand behind it like that. Even the guys putting down 800+hp should get the same warranty, or at least they used to.

Look at it this way. Would your rather spend $3000 on a POS trans only to find out that it sucks and then end up paying the $4400 to replace it when it fails or just pay the $4400 right off the bat and never worry about it again.

Quick Reply: new to me diesel