F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

New Member Seeks BIG Truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member Seeks BIG Truck

Hey all! Another newb here. My names Dan and I'm from Minnesota. I'm the current owner of a heavily modified 2006 HUMMER H3 and I'm looking for either a 250 or 350 crew cab long bed in either the V10 or 6.0 with Lariat or King Ranch and it's gotta be 2005 or newer. I know pretty much nothing about these trucks so I'm here to gain some knowledge before I make my purchase.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by M22KLARS
Hey all! Another newb here. My names Dan and I'm from Minnesota. I'm the current owner of a heavily modified 2006 HUMMER H3 and I'm looking for either a 250 or 350 crew cab long bed in either the V10 or 6.0 with Lariat or King Ranch and it's gotta be 2005 or newer. I know pretty much nothing about these trucks so I'm here to gain some knowledge before I make my purchase.
Try and find a 08+ with a 6.4 diesel if its in your budget...The 6.0 is a problematic engine but with the right amount of money spent it is a good engine...If you don't need to tow with it or want to make big power with the diesel then I would go with the V10...Alot less problematic than the 6.0...Just how big do you plan to go on the suspension lift? 10-12 inches? How big of tires? You can plan on regearing to 5.13's or lower gearing...

Last edited by LOGANSTANFORTH; 07-22-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:55 AM
I found a 2008 F450 supercab XLT with duallies, 9 foot flat bed, manual trans, 4x4 and 6.4L diesel for sale in Ohio for $33K. It's already got 4.88 gearing so that's plenty for adding huge tires.

Why the Lariat or King Ranch?

Old 07-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Corpsie
I found a 2008 F450 supercab XLT with duallies, 9 foot flat bed, manual trans, 4x4 and 6.4L diesel for sale in Ohio for $33K. It's already got 4.88 gearing so that's plenty for adding huge tires.

Why the Lariat or King Ranch?
Nice! But I don't relly have a need for Dualies. I want the King Ranch or Lariat for the heated leather and comfort. Excuse my ignorance if Lariat isn't waht I think it is. I thought it was an upgraded leather interior package.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by LOGANSTANFORTH
Try and find a 08+ with a 6.4 diesel if its in your budget...The 6.0 is a problematic engine but with the right amount of money spent it is a good engine...If you don't need to tow with it or want to make big power with the diesel then I would go with the V10...Alot less problematic than the 6.0...Just how big do you plan to go on the suspension lift? 10-12 inches? How big of tires? You can plan on regearing to 5.13's or lower gearing...
I've got about $30,000 to play with so my options are that limited. As far as a lift goes I'm not sure. I guess by big truck I meant 1 ton crew cab long bed, etc. I didn't mean 12" lift. But you never know. It may end up there...

Old 07-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by M22KLARS
Nice! But I don't relly have a need for Dualies. I want the King Ranch or Lariat for the heated leather and comfort. Excuse my ignorance if Lariat isn't waht I think it is. I thought it was an upgraded leather interior package.
You can always convert duallies to a single.

Lariat is the top of the line package when it comes to niceties like leather seats.

The King Ranch is similar but with thicker leather on the seats.

The thing is, seating surfaces can be replaced/changed, so I'd advise you to search for the cab and powertrain that you want and worry about seats 2nd.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:54 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
If you are in MN, I'd advise a V-10 unless you have a particular need for a diesel. When it gets below zero, diesels can be a pain to get started unless you keep them plugged in. The 6.0 diesel has been plagued with issues that take some serious bucks to make right. The 6.4 is a lot better, but it still isn't optimal. Emissions regulations and ultra low sulfur fuel really hurts.

Trending Topics

Old 07-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Corpsie
You can always convert duallies to a single.

Lariat is the top of the line package when it comes to niceties like leather seats.

The King Ranch is similar but with thicker leather on the seats.

The thing is, seating surfaces can be replaced/changed, so I'd advise you to search for the cab and powertrain that you want and worry about seats 2nd.

Thanks for the info. I'm not in a rush to buy a truck as I have a couple other vehicles so I'm really sitting back and trying to fine tune what I want out of a truck (while browsing craigslist and autotrader) then I'll seriously get to business trying to find the exact truck that I want.

Originally Posted by glc
If you are in MN, I'd advise a V-10 unless you have a particular need for a diesel. When it gets below zero, diesels can be a pain to get started unless you keep them plugged in. The 6.0 diesel has been plagued with issues that take some serious bucks to make right. The 6.4 is a lot better, but it still isn't optimal. Emissions regulations and ultra low sulfur fuel really hurts.

Thanks for the info. I'm seriously leaning towards the V-10 but diesels sound so badass.......

Old 07-22-2010, 02:38 PM
The cold weather really does not affect these trucks like the older diesels. I have left mine parked for a week at the air port in February and it popped right off it was not happy but it fired up. Expect to do a EGR delete on it and a few other things but the 6.0 is a pretty decent engine when it has a few minor things tweaked on it.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:00 PM
My buddy has a nice 150. I got pics somewhere.

These are kinda older. Now he has smoked most of his lights, all his emblems and taken off the Fx4 stickers. I love this truck!

Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
diesels sound so badass
A V-10 sounds pretty nasty too when you run a big straight pipe off the cat..........

Old 07-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
The cold weather really does not affect these trucks like the older diesels.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. The 07 I had last winter would not start if it wasn't plugged in all night when the temp got below 20*F. When it got below 0*F it would barely start when plugged in all night. Its been through a few dealers and diesel shops and its a little better now, but anything near single digits and you had better get the extension cord out. The 03 trucks we have with the 6.0L aren't much better. The 6.4L seems to handle the cold a little better, but the 6.0L sure doesn't like it. I'm curious to see how the 6.7L Cummins I'm running now does when it gets cold.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. The 07 I had last winter would not start if it wasn't plugged in all night when the temp got below 20*F. When it got below 0*F it would barely start when plugged in all night. Its been through a few dealers and diesel shops and its a little better now, but anything near single digits and you had better get the extension cord out. The 03 trucks we have with the 6.0L aren't much better. The 6.4L seems to handle the cold a little better, but the 6.0L sure doesn't like it. I'm curious to see how the 6.7L Cummins I'm running now does when it gets cold.

I have never really had a problem other than when I had a bad battery and the dealer parked the truck outside in -40* over the weekend and even then it started after a three cycles of the glow plugs. I do plug mine in but I have a timer on it and it only runs the block heater for 5 hours and I turn it on and leave it on when its get below zero but there are places that I go that I cant plug the truck in and never worry about it.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Come down to the south to get a used truck that has not been through the snow. You can find an 08 KR for the mid 30's around here, a little less with higher miles. Get the diesel because rollin' coal is just bad a$$.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by glc
A V-10 sounds pretty nasty too when you run a big straight pipe off the cat..........

x2

Quick Reply: New Member Seeks BIG Truck