F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

What tires do you plow with??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What tires do you plow with??

I am already thinking winter since I mounted my snowplow frame, hooked up the wiring, and put it on the truck to test it... lol

I plowed with the ****tiest tires ever last year... the Good Year Dura Tracs that lasted all of 15,000 miles on my 2008 F250...

Ive had the Continental Contitrac TRs that come on them stock twice now and they handled "DECENT" in the snow/slush but I havent plowed with them yet...Got 15,000 miles on my first OEM set...

I also had the Good Year Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grades and thought they were Phenomenal in the snow/ice and I could take corners @ 90 in the summer.... good all around and got 30,000 + on them before they were SLICKS.

What tires do you guys plow with? Im looking for both positive and negative feedback on any tires you have experience with in a F250/F350 scenario and what you've chosen as your winter plow truck tires.

Im kinda leaning Silent Armor vs Dunlop M/T MAXX's but still VERY undecided....

I figured this could be helpful for more ppl towards winter as well.... maybe its been covered ... but there are always new tires every year.

Thanks!

Roger

Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Best tires I have ever pushed snow with are MasterCraft Coursers.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
firestone winterforce are simply the best and cheap.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Iv'e plowed with these M/T 305 great for plowing but not traveling. Otherwise stock 245 BFG rugged trail - suck. Here's a good link:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=73074

Old 07-27-2010, 12:59 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
What about good old fashioned open tread snow tires with studs?

Old 07-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by glc
What about good old fashioned open tread snow tires with studs?
Lol no thanks, I drive 40 miles each way to work Monday-friday with this truck... The studs would be gone in a month lol ....

Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Goodyear MTR's are on our plow trucks and are great. Never got stuck once nor do they seem like a harsh ride at all.

Trending Topics

Old 07-27-2010, 09:03 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
The studs are designed to wear at the same rate as the tire.........

Old 07-31-2010, 11:35 AM
I have the Silent Armors on my 06 F350 and they are awesome in the snow, but I cannot stand the ride they give the rest of the year. Also, they are getting very choppy looking already and they only have 7,000 miles on them. I read once somewhere that Goodyear tires always get choppy looking very quickly no matter how well you balance them. I didnt believe that before, but I do now. My truck came stock with the Continentals, what a joke they were in the snow. I wouldnt have them on my truck again if they were given to me for free. Although I will say they gave a better ride year round than the Silent Armors, but in the snow, they were a complete and total joke. My next set of tires will not be Goodyear though. Even though they are great in the snow, I dont like spending $219 for a tire just to watch it get choppy looking in a matter of no time.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:40 AM
I hear Cooper Discoverer tires are really good, and really good in the snow too. Especially the Cooper M+S tire. That tire wasnt available though in my size when I bought the Goodyears. At that time, there was not many choices in the 275-70-18 tire size, but Im sure there are many more now. I was stuck between the Cooper Discoverer ATR and the Silent Armors, and ended up with the Silent Armors. Id love to try out those ATR's next!

Old 07-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 6 Hankook RF04 on my diesel dumptruck..
9 foot Fisher and when in 4X4 I just put it in drive and push..
And PUSH it does!

Never got stuck and I don't add any weight to it either.
GREAT tires!

...zap!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What about Michelins, Guaranteed they will last 2x longer then the goodrears.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by SLP 97 CAMARO SS GUY
I have the Silent Armors on my 06 F350 and they are awesome in the snow, but I cannot stand the ride they give the rest of the year. Also, they are getting very choppy looking already and they only have 7,000 miles on them. I read once somewhere that Goodyear tires always get choppy looking very quickly no matter how well you balance them. I didnt believe that before, but I do now. My truck came stock with the Continentals, what a joke they were in the snow. I wouldnt have them on my truck again if they were given to me for free. Although I will say they gave a better ride year round than the Silent Armors, but in the snow, they were a complete and total joke. My next set of tires will not be Goodyear though. Even though they are great in the snow, I dont like spending $219 for a tire just to watch it get choppy looking in a matter of no time.

IMO cooper discoverer ATRs AND the M+S suck *****... Ive had them on a few different trucks and didnt like the performance.

I dont know why your silent armors were a bad ride, they are the ONLY tire Ive had on my f250 with an acceptable ride. They corner GREAT in the summer and wear even, are quiet, and provide great snow traction. I only got 30,000 miles outta them but Ill prolly end up with them again.

My tires wore straight across righ up to the wear bars with NO chopping at ALL in the year I had them (yes the 30,000 miles was in one year lol). Everyone told me f250/f350s destroy front tires but I think the good years proved them wrong in my case. I rotated every 6000 miles and had the air pressure at 75-80 psi the whole time (hauling I bumped to 80).

The other main note is that so far I havent found a tire built witha sturdy enough sidewall except the silent armors. The General Grabber AT2 SUCK and I demanded dunn tire take them off after pulling outta the parking lot circling the block and coming back - They felt like JELLO. THe GY Dura Crap, I mean Dura Trac SUCK in the snow and they wear out in 10-15,000 miles and the sidewalls werent much better. I had NO sideways motion with the armors but even with the continental crapitracs I see side to side motion (still better than generals or the dura craps).

Maybe there just isnt a better tire... I thought the Armors were superb on Ice and in medium snow - I Never got stuck and they were good in the mud (I rolled my truck over on its side in a 4 foot deep ditch FULL of mud and managed to get out!)

Maybe Ive answered my own questions... Ill prolly end up with the SIlent Armors again after hearing bad about master craft and there arent many choices in 275-70-18 still that are ATR or mud style. I can get silent armors installed for $225 a tire ... GY here I come lol another grand spent on tires, YAY!!!

Old 09-23-2010, 03:48 PM
The best all around tire that I have ever used on my 150are the Nitto Terra Graplers. $149 wholesale. Those things hook up in snow/ice and clean the tread in mud great. They have a bit of road roar but we drive trucks. If it helps I am pushing a 8' Sno-way with a 98 f150 4.6. Never any problem with loss of traction or cornering. I liked them so much I actually left them on all summer long. I just hope the tires on 11 superduty will be good for snow. I hate buying new trucks then having to buy new tires just for snow.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:17 PM
You're never going to get good tires, at least for plowing, stock. Although, I do like the fact that they went to wider tires, 275, stock vs 245 stock. In my experience, it really doesn't matter. I am putting back on my old stock 245 BFG rugged trail from my 08' trade-in. They suck but, it really doesn't matter in my experience. I plowed with 305 M/T ATZ. I could actually plow in 2wheel a little. But driving from gig to gig was another story. Bottom-line: you are always plowing in 4wheel. Plow weighs 1000lbs. It just doesn't matter unless your'e plowing with a 150 and a snow way and pushing 6" plus. With a 1000lb plow in front and salt weight in back, the tires will always reach the pavement. That said, I would love the widest meaties tires too, when plowing.

Last edited by ommegang; 09-23-2010 at 05:24 PM.

Quick Reply: What tires do you plow with??