F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F150 or SD Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaairman
I'm trying to figure out what type of idiot would spend $50K on a truck who lives in his parents basement.
It's Mommy and Daddies money. No regard for how much things cost.

Originally Posted by papajohn
one who can afford to do it because he has no other bills
Because his parents pay for everything.

Originally Posted by dsq3973
The only reason I bought mine is tow our fifth wheel and if I have put more money into this thing to make it run right than I care to think about. If he wants buy one let him and he will figure out that it costs more to run a diesel when he goes to the dealer for an oil change and it costs him $150. Also there are the fuel filters that add about another $75 on top of that. Oh and dont forget the new exhaust fluid that has to used in the new trucks.
I tried to break the news to him, that the SD diesel cost is way over the cost of the Nissan.

Originally Posted by canadian_screw
sounds like a car would be suited to him. That diesel won't be too happy getting started and run for 10 mins twice a day either. He should keep the truck he has or sell it and buy a hybrid
He works part time at some little shop down the street. A less than 5 minute drive.

Originally Posted by ML504
Doesn't make a lot of sense, but if that is what he wants....AND....he can pay for it, more power to him.

However, priorities will probably change in a couple years if he is that young to be living at home and will end up getting rid of it before it is paid for. Good choice in color, btw!
Well, I've never gotten a sense of reality out of him, since I've known him. Especially when it comes to money.

Originally Posted by f150fella08
this is funny because i was listening to one of my sisters friends, she is about to turn 16 and she insists on getting a 2005 f250 PSD, 4 door, 4x4. for what reason??? she thinks its cool. her grandparents would be the ones buying it for her, when i heard this i said "are you ****ing serious?? getting a diesel for NO reason at all?!?!" i tried to explain the cost of a diesel, fuel filters, air filters, oil changes, and just the cost of diesel itself!!

after a long argument that went nowhere, almost 16 years old, of course it went nowhere. i gave up and told her she will see for herself. she thinks she can keep up with the cost of a diesel, but we all know she wont be able to
Sounds just like him.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's his life and money, sounds like you just have a little case of envy - You want to provide "facts" to rain on his parade.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:33 PM
5 mins? Thats even worse. The diesel won't even get warm before he shuts it off. It will be worn out on no time with short trips like that all the time

Old 08-04-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by dlenkewich
It's his life and money, sounds like you just have a little case of envy - You want to provide "facts" to rain on his parade.
He's the one who asked me... I would love to see him get it so I can drive it too and not have to worry that it isn't my money.

But being a good, straight up friend, I'd like to be nice and show him that he really doesn't need it.

Originally Posted by canadian_screw
5 mins? Thats even worse. The diesel won't even get warm before he shuts it off. It will be worn out on no time with short trips like that all the time
He's gonna have a coking issue with his diesel from unburnt fuel.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:25 PM
When I went to purchase my first vehicle (that parents didn't pay for) I was looking at either a Harley Davidson F150 or a 2006+ SD Diesel. Looking back at it all. I love my Harley but I wish I would of bought a 250. I don't tend to tow anything and when I need too I can use my dads 250. But if you have the cash you can buy what you want. And as far as diesel being more than premium. That's just another reason I wish I'd of bought a diesel. I haven't been anywhere in the past 3 years where diesel was more expensive than premium. And unfortunately I Have to run premium =(

Old 08-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ManualF150
He's the one who asked me... I would love to see him get it so I can drive it too and not have to worry that it isn't my money.

But being a good, straight up friend, I'd like to be nice and show him that he really doesn't need it.

He's gonna have a coking issue with his diesel from unburnt fuel.
I'd be pretty miffed if I saw my friend slandering me the way you are him, but you're such a good friend you'll probably just edit all that out before you show this "research" to him, I'm sure.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by dlenkewich
I'd be pretty miffed if I saw my friend slandering me the way you are him, but you're such a good friend you'll probably just edit all that out before you show this "research" to him, I'm sure.
It's too late, I already sent him a link. I'm surprised he hasn't beaten me yet.

I think I'm in for it tomorrow though.

Still don't know if he changed his mind yet.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If nothing else... An f150 rides 3x better than a SD.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe a unicycle suites him better.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:26 AM
Originally Posted by avfrog
That's for sure.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by avfrog
Originally Posted by Zaairman
That's for sure.
Thats for damn sure lol

Old 08-06-2010, 10:50 AM
I have a few friends who are just like him or worse. They can't afford to pay me $300 that I let them borrow 2 years ago, but can buy new vehicles and boats. One guy bought a 35k truck and the other a 10k boat. Now, tell me that's not bad.

I'll admit I was just like this guy when I bought my first truck, but with a fulltime job. I had just finished college and started a fulltime job bringing home $700/week and had no bills. This being my first real job I thought that $700 was a lot. I ended up buying a $40k truck and a $10k street bike. But I also was able to save up money while still living at home, unlike most who blow everything.

I can say that I'm one of those who would like to get rid of my truck for the F-250. The one pictured on the first post is the exact truck I want. I love the dark blue with black interior, but I don't like the $55k + tax price it comes with. I don't tow much right now, but want to get either an enclosed trailer or toyhauler next summer to start riding more atv parks. My 150 won't handle an 18' trailer and 4 bikes in it.

When I bought my truck I really wantedd the F-250, but my note would have been $800/ month for 6 years. Unless you have $20k to put down on a 2011 model you're looking at nearly $1000/month + insurance. So roughly $1100/month for a truck to be used 5 minutes a day is hard to justify. If my truck sells I would buy one though, but not brand new. I'd find one used fo around $40k, put $20k down and pay $300/month on a truck note.

Last edited by HighOn22's; 08-06-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:31 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
My 150 won't handle an 18' trailer and 4 bikes in it.
Why not?

Old 08-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Why not?

I'm not sure what an 18' closed in trailer weighs, but I know each 4 wheeler will weigh 600+ lbs, plus anything else in it. I have 3:73's still with 37" tires so would have to regear for sure to 4:88s. I'm sure I wouldn't get but 6-8mpg towing that much weight.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:04 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
It's a lot cheaper to regear and get a programmer than it is to get a whole new truck.

Quick Reply: F150 or SD Diesel?