F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

2010 Heavy duty shoot out

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Agreed. When I travel cross country, I note what's towing the really big trailers out there - and when it comes to the 1 ton diesel dualies that are the majority of such tow vehicles, I see just as many GM's and Dodges as I see Fords. What makes me cringe is when I see a 1/2 ton dragging a big 5er or triple axle bumper pull down the road. Wrong tool for the job.

Besides - from 04 to 07, Ford definitely had an inferior diesel engine. Without expensive mods, the 6.0 was a piece of crap.
I agree with all your points.

About the Dodge lacking in power - - Remember they are still running a V6 powerplant. They're doing pretty decent, and I've got to give credit here, they are doing there best to compete and at the same time sticking with a proven engine, which is more then I can say for the other two.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

How are Ford and GM not doing their best to compete?? 765 and 800 lb-ft. of torque seems pretty competitive IMO.

...and the Cummins is an I6 - not V6.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:58 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Is Dodge the only producer with a manual option?
Yep, and only with the diesel. The Hemi is auto only.

About the Dodge lacking in power - - Remember they are still running a V6 powerplant.
Doesn't matter how many cylinders it has, it's the same displacement as the Mexistroke - 6.7 liters. It needs some help. We all know it can put out incredible numbers with mods, but that test is rightfully comparing stock engines. Maybe they can get more power out of it if they go to urea. The Ford and GM are both new engines, the Cummins has been around forever - and it really is the only true truck engine of the 3.

Keeping it all in perspective, the Dodge is adequate for the job, especially when it costs 8 grand less than the other 2.

Last edited by glc; 08-19-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by °°Pat°°
Dodge is coming with a new tranny.

8 speeds automatique with a max capacity of 800 pd-ft.

http://www.allpar.com/model/upcoming.html

That can't be right. The 6sp TorqShift is rated at 1400 lb.ft.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:19 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 1clean42
How are Ford and GM not doing their best to compete?? 765 and 800 lb-ft. of torque seems pretty competitive IMO.

...and the Cummins is an I6 - not V6.
I think you miss read what I said.

And yes my bad, I6 it is.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:14 AM
All ford is doing to get to 800ft is changing the way the motor is tuned, pretty muc all vehicles come "de-tuned" from the manufactuer. dodge(cummins) and gm(Izuzu) engines have more in them, but i'd say it was easier for ford to change theirs since there engine is in house. But you can tune them all for relatively cheap and there all gonna be right there with each other. I like them all ok to be honest. but given the opertunity i'd choose the dodge. There motor has been out for almost 4yrs, ford and gm are just coming out with there new engines. I just don't think it will be too long before they make up that power difference. Like said above the dodge is the only TRUE truck motor of the three. When you see Semi's, majority doesn't have a v8. I don't think ppl are ever gonna let that whole "don't buy a dodge truck they have ****ty transmissions" thing, even tho thats been fixed for like a decade. Alot of the Ford F650/750's have the 6.7 cummins in them.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:59 AM
Originally Posted by offroadn'98
All ford is doing to get to 800ft is changing the way the motor is tuned, pretty muc all vehicles come "de-tuned" from the manufactuer. dodge(cummins) and gm(Izuzu) engines have more in them, but i'd say it was easier for ford to change theirs since there engine is in house. But you can tune them all for relatively cheap and there all gonna be right there with each other. I like them all ok to be honest. but given the opertunity i'd choose the dodge. There motor has been out for almost 4yrs, ford and gm are just coming out with there new engines. I just don't think it will be too long before they make up that power difference. Like said above the dodge is the only TRUE truck motor of the three. When you see Semi's, majority doesn't have a v8. I don't think ppl are ever gonna let that whole "don't buy a dodge truck they have ****ty transmissions" thing, even tho thats been fixed for like a decade. Alot of the Ford F650/750's have the 6.7 cummins in them.
We had an '03 Cummins and the manual trans went in it. Granted it went out at 230k, but even from day one it wasn't right. It would always pop out of 5th gear at highway speeds.

I don't think anyone is knocking the Cummins (although they've had their fair share of problems with the 6.7), just the truck that's wrapped around it. We'll see what the future brings for them. A lot of Dodge guys believe there is a twin turbo Cummins on the horizon.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:53 AM
I got ya! haha
I just don't think the dodges are cheap inside anymore. Buddy of mine had a 07 2500, it was nice. I don't kno if the powertrain was changed any in 03 yet. And i kno they changed the interior and improved it some in 03 but not nearly to the extent of the new trucks!
Ford's 6.7's gonna have to prove itself.

Last edited by offroadn'98; 08-20-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The only thing about the GM I don't like is the IFS! I would buy a SuperDuty over a GM HD anyday!!!

Old 08-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
The only thing about the GM I don't like is the IFS! I would buy a SuperDuty over a GM HD anyday!!!
I always get a kick out of people saying this.

9 out of 10 buyers don't have a need for a solid front axle. Albiet there are more wear items, it provides a way smoother ride and unless your bashing around a site all day, it's going to take you 100,000 miles to wear out those front end parts.

For a cop with a grocery getter, who already owns a pick-up with IFS, why it matters is beyond me.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by offroadn'98
i thought ford 650-750 had 8.3 cummins???

and yea, nobody will ever let up the dodge transmission things, my dad drove a dodge in the 70's and hated it, now he will never own another

nobody what anybody says..5.9 CTD FTW!

Old 08-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dlenkewich
I always get a kick out of people saying this.

9 out of 10 buyers don't have a need for a solid front axle. Albiet there are more wear items, it provides a way smoother ride and unless your bashing around a site all day, it's going to take you 100,000 miles to wear out those front end parts.

For a cop with a grocery getter, who already owns a pick-up with IFS, why it matters is beyond me.
My 2007 SCREW is far from a "Grocery Getter!" It has hauled over 2000LBS in the bed with ease, & has towed over 7K many times for me with ease & comes back sayin, what next? I use her like a F-250!!! If I wanted a HD truck, all I am sayin is that it would not have a IFS! The SuperDuty does not, & that is what I would buy If I was in the market for a HD truck!!

Old 08-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really if I were in the market for a brand new 3/4 or 1 ton I'm not too sure what'd I'd get. One of my friends had an 08 2500 Dodge with the Cummins and manual trans. Had nothing but problems with the turbo getting plugged, particulate filter problems and IMO the interior was cheap. It was a Laramie IIRC.

He recently traded it in for an 07? (last year for the 5.9) with 52,000 miles on it with an auto trans. Couple weeks after having the transmission started acting up and had to get a new one.

I think I'd give Ford a few more years to see how this 6.7 works out to make sure it's not as bad as the 6.0. Although, if I were looking for a diesel I'd prolly stick with Ford anyways no matter what.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:53 AM
Originally Posted by f150fella08
i thought ford 650-750 had 8.3 cummins???

and yea, nobody will ever let up the dodge transmission things, my dad drove a dodge in the 70's and hated it, now he will never own another

nobody what anybody says..5.9 CTD FTW!
Yeah, i knew it wasn't the 6.7, but i didn't kno the exact displacement actually. haaha anyway, i think my point was that ford didn't even use Navistar/International POS's in they're REAL big trucks. lol

Old 08-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Though obviously it isn't in the test, you can tell they miss the V10....'diesel' like ..I love it

Quick Reply: 2010 Heavy duty shoot out