2010 Heavy duty shoot out

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....-approach.html

Let the bashing begin

Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man that was a LONG read. Poor dodge didn't even see the ford or gm coming

Old 08-19-2010, 12:21 AM
That was a long read! Sounds like Fords' traction control really held back the trucks during the acceleration tests... (power on, power off, power on, power off... slipping each time power was reapplied)

Man, the bickering comments from all the fanboys are pretty funny! LOL!

Old 08-19-2010, 12:33 AM

Good read

Old 08-19-2010, 01:10 AM
I think that might be kind of old. Fords 6.7 got a updated tune i think and everyone who bought one already get the free upgrade too. But anyway i think it puts ford 6.7 over 400hp and like 800ft lbs..

Old 08-19-2010, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by offroadn'98
I think that might be kind of old. Fords 6.7 got a updated tune i think and everyone who bought one already get the free upgrade too. But anyway i think it puts ford 6.7 over 400hp and like 800ft lbs..
Not till the end of the month actually. But GM fanboys are still certain it won't make a dent in their lead. I don't care if it does or not, all that damn fanboy bickering gives me a headache! And everyone of them will make some of the most dumbass comments to make whichever truck they are stroking it to come out on top. And so many of them seem to think that being the fastest means it's the best. Those trucks are meant to work, so that's what I'd want to make sure it's good at!

Sounds like they're all getting real close to being neck and neck in power, refinement, and durability. It'll come down to looks and loyalty in the end. I love the looks of the Dodge, but unless they started building the trucks better and putting a tranny in it that'll last, it won't mean a damn thing how reliable the Cummins is. Same goes for Ford and GM. Ford's scared a lot of people with the last Powerstrokes, but the build quality of the truck is phenomenal. They need to prove that the 6.7 can last. GM is always going to be the whipping boy for SFA fans, no matter how good the Duramax is. They used to be the lightweight of the heavy haulers till they stepped up their game with the new frame. I think they're good looking trucks, but they've always come off as too car-like to me. But a lot of people like that, so more power to 'em.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:22 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
My conclusion? All of them are very capable trucks. The Cummins is showing its age and needs more power to remain competitive, Chrysler needs a better tranny (unless you buy a manual in the diesel), GM needs to put some more juice in the 6.0 gasser or bring back the 8.1, and Ford needs to retune their traction control. I'm quite surprised the Ford 6.2 gasser did as well as it did under load. I'm still gonna miss the V-10 though (and the manual tranny).

Old 08-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Ford has owned the HD market for years. For a reason there just better. The superduty came out in 1999 an hasnt been matched yet by anybody. For style i think Ford blows them all away. The looks off GMs trucks turn me off. Ford has such a more classy refined look. Build quality well Ford owns here as well. There built like a tank.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Sounds like they are all solid trucks to me.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by SFCFX4
Not till the end of the month actually. But GM fanboys are still certain it won't make a dent in their lead. I don't care if it does or not, all that damn fanboy bickering gives me a headache! And everyone of them will make some of the most dumbass comments to make whichever truck they are stroking it to come out on top. And so many of them seem to think that being the fastest means it's the best. Those trucks are meant to work, so that's what I'd want to make sure it's good at!

Sounds like they're all getting real close to being neck and neck in power, refinement, and durability. It'll come down to looks and loyalty in the end. I love the looks of the Dodge, but unless they started building the trucks better and putting a tranny in it that'll last, it won't mean a damn thing how reliable the Cummins is. Same goes for Ford and GM. Ford's scared a lot of people with the last Powerstrokes, but the build quality of the truck is phenomenal. They need to prove that the 6.7 can last. GM is always going to be the whipping boy for SFA fans, no matter how good the Duramax is. They used to be the lightweight of the heavy haulers till they stepped up their game with the new frame. I think they're good looking trucks, but they've always come off as too car-like to me. But a lot of people like that, so more power to 'em.

Dodge is coming with a new tranny.

8 speeds automatique with a max capacity of 800 pd-ft.

http://www.allpar.com/model/upcoming.html

Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by MudTerrain
That was a long read! Sounds like Fords' traction control really held back the trucks during the acceleration tests... (power on, power off, power on, power off... slipping each time power was reapplied)

Man, the bickering comments from all the fanboys are pretty funny! LOL!
It look like Toyota did the traction control for Ford on that one.

That's how the Tundra react, on/off, on/off...

Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 150guy
Ford has owned the HD market for years. For a reason there just better. The superduty came out in 1999 an hasnt been matched yet by anybody. For style i think Ford blows them all away. The looks off GMs trucks turn me off. Ford has such a more classy refined look. Build quality well Ford owns here as well. There built like a tank.
Oh come now. Ford has not "Owned" the "HD market" at all in recent years. As said, lets keep this fanboy stuff out of this conversation.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

saw that and really with the big 1 ton duallys it comes down to preference. but that denali is sick imo but pricey

Old 08-19-2010, 11:28 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by dlenkewich
Oh come now. Ford has not "Owned" the "HD market" at all in recent years. As said, lets keep this fanboy stuff out of this conversation.
Agreed. When I travel cross country, I note what's towing the really big trailers out there - and when it comes to the 1 ton diesel dualies that are the majority of such tow vehicles, I see just as many GM's and Dodges as I see Fords. What makes me cringe is when I see a 1/2 ton dragging a big 5er or triple axle bumper pull down the road. Wrong tool for the job.

Besides - from 04 to 07, Ford definitely had an inferior diesel engine. Without expensive mods, the 6.0 was a piece of crap.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by thejake1989
saw that and really with the big 1 ton duallys it comes down to preference. but that denali is sick imo but pricey
Agree'd. IMHO that Denali is the best out of the bunch. Although I'd take any of those trucks, the ford's in that line up would be last on my list.

Is Dodge the only producer with a manual option? Or did they follow Ford and GM and get rid of that option? Talking about all this weight it can tow and all this power and everyone is dropping manual transmissions, what a poor idea.

Quick Reply: 2010 Heavy duty shoot out