F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Ford: Bring on the hrdraulic shocks!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plow, so it does help alot. Just presumed I had it since the damn thing was so expensive to begin with. I didn't realize that rear defrost is so evident. I thought it was just lines in the window. It doesn't have an "R" on the heated mirror button but, perhaps that button also heats the rear window. Don't think so though. Oh well. Just quit the " hop shakin". Active suspension sounds expensive. Maybe I could just get good at the "hop shake". F150 is probably my answer but, I love the F250!

Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by ommegang
Found this: evidently someone does recognize this as a problem.

Application of Hydraulic Body Mounts to Reduce the Freeway Hop Shake of Pickup Trucks

When pickup trucks are driven on concrete paved freeways, freeway hop shake is a major complaint. Freeway hop shake occurs when the vehicle passes over the concrete joints of the freeway which impose in-phase harmonic road inputs. These road inputs excite vehicle modes that degrade ride comfort. The worst shake level occurs when the vehicle speed is such that the road input excites the vehicle 1 st bending mode and/or the rear wheel hop mode. The hop and bending mode are very close in frequency. This phenomenon is called freeway hop shake.

God damn - I "hop shaked" all the way into the other lane officier.

WTF are you smoking? Do you even have an idea of what you're talking about? How is a hydraulic body mount do ANYTHING at all to fix a harmonic cylce in the suspension? All a hydraulic body mount does is smooths out the ride in the passenger compartment by soaking up vibrations. Think of it as putting a steering stabilizer on. It makes it feel like the tires don't shake in the cab, but in actuality the tire shakes just like it did before. To actually fix the suspension "issue" you're talking about you need a better tuned suspension (ie new leaves, coils, shocks, and sway bars). Even then it won't completely stop it from happening. Of course if you just slowed down when you go over washboards like you're supposed to instead of driving like a raging meth addict you wouldn't have this problem.

FYI, my current service truck is a 2011 Dodge 5500 and it has hydraulic body mounts on it. They don't do a whole hell of a lot to smooth out the ride. If I drive down a road with a high frequency of seams it'll get to hopping.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
WTF are you smoking? Do you even have an idea of what you're talking about? How is a hydraulic body mount do ANYTHING at all to fix a harmonic cylce in the suspension? All a hydraulic body mount does is smooths out the ride in the passenger compartment by soaking up vibrations. Think of it as putting a steering stabilizer on. It makes it feel like the tires don't shake in the cab, but in actuality the tire shakes just like it did before. To actually fix the suspension "issue" you're talking about you need a better tuned suspension (ie new leaves, coils, shocks, and sway bars). Even then it won't completely stop it from happening. Of course if you just slowed down when you go over washboards like you're supposed to instead of driving like a raging meth addict you wouldn't have this problem.

FYI, my current service truck is a 2011 Dodge 5500 and it has hydraulic body mounts on it. They don't do a whole hell of a lot to smooth out the ride. If I drive down a road with a high frequency of seams it'll get to hopping.
FYI, I was going the speed limit. Truck's fault not mine. AND, the article above is not mine. NOR, is the invention/application of body mounts my idea either. Take your argument up with GM's engineers: http://papers.sae.org/2009-01-2126/
I know the truck is made to carry loads not ride like a caddy.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:39 PM
FYI, I was going the speed limit. Truck's fault not mine. AND, the article above is not mine. NOR, is the invention/application of body mounts my idea either. Take your argument up with GM's engineers: http://papers.sae.org/2009-01-2126/

Again, you need to use common sense before posting. By your argument that you were going the speed limit on a bad road I can drive 65mph down an ice covered interstate. When my truck spins out and goes in the ditch its not my fault, I was doing the speed limit. You drive as fast as the road conditions allow, or the speed limit whichever is lower.

You're the one who keeps bringing up posts about hydraulic body mounts and making comments to the effect that it will cure your issue. I just pointed out that it is only a bandaid to the true problems (dumb driving and bad suspension). I also pointed out that they don't do as much as the auto makers hype them out to be. They do smooth out the ride in the truck, but it still rides like a truck, get used to it! The really funny thing is that the article you posted actually doesn't even refer to the issue you had, it talks only about solving the ride in the cab.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
Again, you need to use common sense before posting. By your argument that you were going the speed limit on a bad road I can drive 65mph down an ice covered interstate. When my truck spins out and goes in the ditch its not my fault, I was doing the speed limit. You drive as fast as the road conditions allow, or the speed limit whichever is lower.

You're the one who keeps bringing up posts about hydraulic body mounts and making comments to the effect that it will cure your issue. I just pointed out that it is only a bandaid to the true problems (dumb driving and bad suspension). I also pointed out that they don't do as much as the auto makers hype them out to be. They do smooth out the ride in the truck, but it still rides like a truck, get used to it! The really funny thing is that the article you posted actually doesn't even refer to the issue you had, it talks only about solving the ride in the cab.

Last edited by ommegang; 10-30-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Did you fix your ride yet? You will probably have to wait for a 2014 Super Duty. All new. All new platform. Fully boxed frame. Etc. It has been long overdue. Start getting excited in late 2012 when the spy pics start rolling out.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:45 PM
When I purchse a vehicle my thinking is, I will own it for life. I cannot afford to trade vehicles in every so often. The only reason I traded my 08' F250 was because I made a significant amount of money from it by plowing and, most importantly, the 5.4L in the F250 was pathetic! I love the powertrain in the 2011' F250. My post is simply a suggestion and observation. Even though the rocket scientists' who have replied to this post think otherwise, I'm the one with first hand experience in this vehicle. Their comments are quite simply, stupid. Even someone with a F150 recently posted about "hop shake". So, it exists, period.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:06 PM
Suspended
I hope you don't think the flak you catch is uncalled for. You come off like quite the toolbox.

Just wanted to make sure that's clear before the next ***-handing comes rolling in here.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Where in the contents of that paper does it is a safety issue? Seems like a typical NVH paper from the abstract.

Quick Reply: Ford: Bring on the hrdraulic shocks!