F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Add another one to the Super Doodie club.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dlenkewich
And when I started looking at diesels I barely considered these trucks because of the DPF, the mileage isn't great, but it won't be any worse then my tiny 4.6L.
I hate the DPF.. As soon as mine hits 100K and outta warranty that sucker is coming off!

And for MPG... I was getting 20MPH driving from NC to North Alabama.. And that was doing the math not the computer.

Not all of that 20MPG was on the highway either... We went from North Alabama to Sweetwater TNN then over the Skyline Mountains into NC then stopped in Andrews for the night then headed home through the mountains again. Truck did really well besides in the morning it was well below freezing and I have a bad battery so it took it a min to start up.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Suspended
I had thought that I couldn't get worse mileage then my 4.6L Supercrew, but it seems that I am.

I cant complain about the truck too much, I've been plugging it in, but it's been dang cold (-20oC and lower), but the truck starts like it's a warm summer day.

I've driven it about 600kms now.. Haven't seen any lights or indications of regen yet? I thought it was suppose to tell me when it was? It revs up after idling a bit, some say this is just to get the engine temps up, but some believe it's going into regen, any idea's?

If it was regen, it would explain why it's eating fuel so quickly.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:24 PM
I had thought that I couldn't get worse mileage then my 4.6L Supercrew, but it seems that I am.

I cant complain about the truck too much, I've been plugging it in, but it's been dang cold (-20oC and lower), but the truck starts like it's a warm summer day.

I've driven it about 600kms now.. Haven't seen any lights or indications of regen yet? I thought it was suppose to tell me when it was? It revs up after idling a bit, some say this is just to get the engine temps up, but some believe it's going into regen, any idea's?

If it was regen, it would explain why it's eating fuel so quickly.
Regen's are not that bad as far as eating fuel goes. People like to act like one regen will kill your MPG for an entire tank of gas, but regens only last 30mins at the most. The bad thing about regens is what they do to your operating temps. It'll up your EGTs to around 1200 degrees to burn off that soot, and it's best to let it finish. Shutting the truck down when it's that hot isn't recommended, but most of the times unavoidable. Ours has 53k on it and has done great so far. It does eat some coolant tho, they all do. Ours just got topped off the other night for the first time.

You'll want to keep up on the oil changes, fuel filter changes, etc. 5k mile oil intervals is what you'll want to stick to. I wouldn't push it much further than that. We actually pushed ours to more than 10k this last time and it did just fine. It's still not recommended though.

I used to not be a fan of tuning to get rid of the DPF, but I'm slowly seeing the light. Investing around $1500 on a good tune and DPF delete will really make the engine a lot more reliable. You might look into it, it'll also help get your MPGs back up.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Suspended
I'm already thinking about the DPF delete, not only for the MPG's, but hearing over and over that it makes the truck MORE reliable.

I probably won't do a thing until the warranty is up.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm already thinking about the DPF delete, not only for the MPG's, but hearing over and over that it makes the truck MORE reliable.

I probably won't do a thing until the warranty is up.
Well it makes the engine what it's really supposed to be, a diesel engine. Why fight it? It's a novel idea and I like the concept, I just wish it was a reliable idea. I can't say our 6.4 has been unreliable, but I can say it just doesn't inspire the confidence that a 5.9 or 7.3 would.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Suspended
Well said and agree'd.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Start watching this series of videos for a lot of good 6.4L info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zxXmiz6dvQ

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by fx4tough07
Uh oh it's a job 1. Have fun with that one.
Mine is a Job 1, no problems so far, not even the radiator.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 PM
I haven't found much to lead me to believe that a Job 1 is a deal breaker. Lot's of happy Job 1 owners over on powerstroke.org.
Like me!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Freeky, didn't your first Super Duty go bang right after you traded it?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Suspended
IIRC, he traded to get different options.. ?

Old 12-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Yes, I traded it to get more options and a 0% interest rate. Yes, my first one went BOOM right after I traded it. That truck had been blowing huge clouds of white smoke every time it would first go into regen. I told the dealer about it, and he dismissed it. The new owner must have been harder on it than I was.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Great looking truck, by the way. I love the 2008-2010 Super Duty's. I plan to keep mine forever!

Old 12-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Suspended
Thanks freeky, you have a great looking truck also. I also prefer the styling of the 08-10.

Adrian, thanks for posting up that video, I've only watched the one you posted (up to 3 of 3). Very informative. Feel like I learned a ton in that 15ish minutes.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
No worries, I've subscribed to him and watched most of his videos. Man knows his strokers.

The 6.0L perfect storm vid is a good one too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJL9EVbVwck

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: Add another one to the Super Doodie club.