F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Battery too low to start truck this morning...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had my truck for over 5 years - no issue with the battery. Except every year when the temp gets below 0 deg F it is noticeably slower to turn over if left for a day or two, but it does start. This year when we hit -11 deg F it was same as usual for that temp. Of course, it's a V10 gasser with one battery and I have no electrical mods yet. Green light is dim, but there. Thinking of replacing it with an Optima red or yellow top. Heard they are good ~ don't know

Last edited by Pagnew; 01-25-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:34 PM
I used to love Optima batteries, but have heard nothing but bad things about them since being purchased by Johnson Controls. My next batteries will definitely be Diehard Platinum, made by Enersys and identical to the Odyssey batteries...except much cheaper.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:33 PM
...I know - there is a pro and con to every product out there. I have heard nothing but good things about the Optima's from two off-roaders here in Michigan. Heck, I don't know...might just get another factory battery!!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 AM
I have got two years on my Red Tops and they are still going strong and when they finally crap out I will probably put two Blue Tops in.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Ok, i read through most of this thread and ya I get some issues with my 2006 F350 diesel. Its my work truck but i dont always need it so sometimes it will sit for a few days or sometimes a week at the most. Since im canadian our winters get pretty cold. Just recently the weather was -40F in the morning and i had the block heater plugged in to keep the truck warmer. The batteries wouldnt turn the truck over so i boosted it. Took it to my mechanic and what the did for me is put on Battery Blankets that wrap around the batteries and keeps them warm (I have to plug these in to) so they dont freeze up and i get more amperage from them. They also installed some quick disconnects on my batteries, so If i know im not going to be using the truck for a few days i can just disconnect the batteries and not worry about a power drain on them.

Only downside to that is i have to readjust the clock on the radio each time i do that. But its a small price to pay for not having to boost a truck in -40 weather.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:28 AM
Its a good idea to keep a battery tender on the truck when its cold and the truck isn't being used. Cold will kill a battery, but I think you have a constant draw or something causing your issue. Possibly that, along with the fact that you dont use it very often. The older the battery gets, the less acidic it is. The less acidity it has, the better chance of it "freezing up."

Old 02-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by FL4X4
I'm surprised they lasted that long, you probably just need new batteries
Ditto, the factory batteries are junk, I have never had motocraft batteries last more than a couple years,, Get the Die Hards.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:10 PM
To your first question, there are battery charging systems that you can add to your Truck. I work for a Fire Department, we have them on our entire fleet. Our capital apparatus, Ambulances/Fire Trucks, are plugged in all of the time do to the draw of the aftermarket electric systems (flashlights, EMS gear, Computers, Monitors, etc). However, our smaller fleet of pick up trucks use them while they are parked outside in conjunction with the stock engine heater. They work GREAT, a little expsenive though at several hundred dollars each. Nevertheless, I think that if you are in a cold climate or leave your truck sitting for long periods of time they are a must have. The best part is, the chargers are auto disconnect, meaning as soon as the key is turned to the start position then the plug is automactically ejected.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Finally got the son's '08 6.4 in the shop (dead batteries). I have been watching this thread to see other's experiences with their dealers. He has less than 36k miles so all is covered under warranty.

Apparently there is a wiring issue in the Radio/CD player in the son's truck causing a power drain. Ford has replaced both batteries and we are waiting on a new factory Radio/CD player to be installed.

It took two trips and a third next week to the shop, but well worth the effort for two new Motorcraft batteries and radio replacement.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:15 PM
I forgot to mention I keep my block heater plugged in to make it easier on the batts.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Freeky doesn't need to worry about his truck's batteries anymore - he traded the beast and got a BMW car...I hear the state mental hospital is sending a unit over to pick him up

Old 03-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Just to add my 2 cents to this mix, I have an 89 IDI, with Motorcraft batteries that are nearly 5 years old. That poor old truck sits outside, during the winter, for as long as two months without being started. Last month, it got down to -20 and I decided to see what it would do. It started with one cycle of the glow plugs and with about 5 seconds of cranking. I love my Motorcraft batteries.

My F-150 just got a new Motorcraft battery last week. It replaced the original, factory installed battery that was about 7 and a half years old. I noticed that if I let it sit for about a week, the gauges would do a recycle when it was started. I took that as a warning and replaced the battery.

I really think hot weather is harder on batteries than cold. Either that, or we get a better class of batteries up her in Montana!

Too bad Freeky sold his truck over a couple of batteries. Hope he likes his car.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Loving the Bimmer! Have not missed the truck at all, except the train horn. I really miss the train horn!

Old 03-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Loving the Bimmer! Have not missed the truck at all, except the train horn. I really miss the train horn!
I bet you can cram it in the bimmer some where.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
I bet you can cram it in the bimmer some where.
Nope, that car is all business. No spare room for anything, not even a spare tire.

Quick Reply: Battery too low to start truck this morning...