F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

2003 7.3l Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 7.3l Transmission?

There is a vibration that just started in my truck. Its mostly noticeable between 35 and 55 mph. Breaks have been replaced and new rotors installed, tires have been balanced. I checked universal joints they seem to be good and tight, could this me a transmission problem? Any suggestions?

Old 04-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Sorry my crystal ball is in the shop and since you provided pretty much no information about the trans I can't really help you much.

Auto or manual? Fluid at the right level? Fluid condition? Correct fluid type? How many miles?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Hahaha,

One piece or two piece rear shaft? 4x4?

Adrianspeeder

Old 04-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Other info

it is an automatic, was rebuilt at 79,000 has 105,000 on it now. I thnk the transmission shop put in a AmsOil sythetic in, fluid level is fine...its 4x4 not sure about shaft just got in from work and logged into check responses..

However I did check the ball joints and yes the bottom ones on both sides have a some play, not sure if that would cause all of the vibration or not?? but for it to just up and start has me puzzled..any help is appreciated

Old 04-29-2011, 04:41 PM
You still didn't answer the question about fluid type or condition of the fluid. What kind of fluid is in it? Amsoil synthetic tells me nothing. The TYPE of trans fluid is what is critical. The wrong type of fluid can cause problems like like after a few thousand miles usually. Is the fluid bright pink and very translucent, or is it dark and hard to see through? Does it have a burnt or almost "rotten" smell to it?

Who did the rebuild? Did the replace or rebuild the torque converter at the same time? What happened to the trans that required it to be rebuilt? Was the trans cooler replaced/flushed? Were the cooler lines flushed? How hot has the fluid gotten since it was rebuilt?

In what axis did the front knuckle move when you found that the lower ball joints are loose? A very small amount of movement in the X axis (up/down) is normal for ball joints. Any movement in the Z axis (in/out) is not good. To check it jack the truck up and grab the top and bottom of the tire. Pull out on the top and push in on the bottom and vice versa. If there is any movement then something is loose. If the knuckle does not move but the tire does then its wheel bearings, if the knuckle moves with the tire then its ball joints.

If you have a 2 piece rear shaft check the hanger bearing to make sure it hasn't failed. Also I would pull the shaft off the slip spline and make sure the splines are greased up real well. Also check to make sure your drive shaft ujoints haven't gone dry.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:50 PM
checked

I did the ball joint test you referred too an dyes the lower ones is bad you can see movement when i put the tire up from the bottom. I haven’t check trans fluid yet, but did check universal joint at rear end and it is bad. One cap is completely gone another cracked.

As for the transmission I bout the truck with 77,000 miles and everything seemed to work fine for a couple of months. I would put the truck into reverse and it would almost die (As if it was a straight drive and you let our out on the clutch too fast or without giving any gas). After tis initial bog down period it would free up and continue to go in reverse.

The transmission guy said f-250 had this issue and reverse had to be replaced. Once he got in he told me the whole transmission needed overhauled and charged me 1500 to do the rebuild. After i got my truck back all was well until last year when it started doing it again. i took it back but my luck it didn’t do it when i was there. Now it only acts that way very every now and then.

I am going today to get a U Joint any suggestions on what kind or where to purchase? I will try and check the fluid in the trany as well. Thanks again for all the input and questions…

Quick Reply: 2003 7.3l Transmission?