F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

How much??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much??

For you guys out there with the super duty's I have a question. My cousin's '04 f350 had to go into the shop to get the egr cooler replaced and they charged him $2000 parts and labor. Now the other day, it wouldnt start so back in it went and they said bad fuel injector pump, $2200 to fix. My question is, are these quotes and charges about right or is he getting reamed? Anyone had these things done and for how much? '04 F350 6.0 diesel fx4.... Thanks.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:33 PM
$2k is a tad on the high side for the EGR repair, but its not unheard of depending on labor rates. The last one I had was about $1600. If the $2200 was for the hpop I'd say it was high, but if they replaced the FICM they can get pretty pricey. I'd ask him to clarify what the dealership meant by "injection pump" since the PSD doesn't have any kind of traditional injection pump. I guess this is one of the many reasons to be wary of owning a 6.0L out of warranty. When things fail the fixes are usually expensive.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
$2k is a tad on the high side for the EGR repair, but its not unheard of depending on labor rates. The last one I had was about $1600. If the $2200 was for the hpop I'd say it was high, but if they replaced the FICM they can get pretty pricey. I'd ask him to clarify what the dealership meant by "injection pump" since the PSD doesn't have any kind of traditional injection pump. I guess this is one of the many reasons to be wary of owning a 6.0L out of warranty. When things fail the fixes are usually expensive.
Thanks for the reply. Its not a dealer thats doing the repairs, its just a small shop. Yeah the 2200 is the quote to fix the "injection pump" Dont know weather they're gonna replace the FICM or not but ill ask him. Thanks again though.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
Ok, I just talked to him and he said the mech came down to $1800 parts and labor to replace high pressure injection oil pump. I can see that the part is pretty expensive in itself ~$800. So would $1000 justify the labor? Thanks.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:56 AM
ford mechanic here... around 10 hrs book time including diagnosis to do high pressure oil pump, our labor rate is $96/hr. Pump is right at 800 so 1800 is about right. Small shop might be marking up parts more. Ive seen people charge anywhere from 8-14 hrs to do EGR cooler. I though coolers were around 600 but i really cant remember. We always do a oil cooler with an EGR cooler so did they do that and figure it into the price?