F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Diesel for just normal driving??? Help Pls

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel for just normal driving??? Help Pls

Say I went with a 2005 Ford F350 Lifted 4X4 Crewcab Shorbed Powerstroke Turbo Diesel with 73k miles on it. I don't plan to do any off-roading and I live in AZ so no snow or weather to speak of. I may take a trip down to Mexico once in a while but other than that, it would just run around town, back and forth to work and such. Am I going to have a bunch of problems with the diesel considering I know zip when it comes to mechanics? Love the look of the SuperDuty but it's hard to find one I like with a gas engine. I was all set on going with an F150 until I decided to look for a used one that already is lifted and fixed up. If you go that way, there's a bunch more nice SuperDutys to choose from at better prices than F150s. So that brings me back to my question. Would I be stupid to get a diesel??

Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Fuel is more money, maintenance is more money, the 6.0 will carbon up and give you problems for sure if it isn't worked hard. I do not recommend getting a diesel just to be cool.

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-28-2011, 01:29 PM
You are better off finding a V10 powered version, diesels like to be worked and worked hard especialy the 6.0's to keep the turbo cleaned out and the EGR working right so it doesn't soot up. In the summer I have the camper hooked up to mine probably once or twice a month and if I am not towing I am running the hottest tune I can with out popping the head gaskets. I am also not afraid to stuff my foot in it to get the EGT's up to clean everyt thing out on a regular basis.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Fuel is more money, maintenance is more money, the 6.0 will carbon up and give you problems for sure if it isn't worked hard. I do not recommend getting a diesel just to be cool.

Adrianspeeder
Thanks for the info but just to be clear, I didn't mean for me to be cool. The truck to look cool. I like to drive a good looking truck but it has to look good to me. I don't give a **** what anyone else thinks.

Your info is what I thought. That sucks because there are 4 or 5 really nice lifted 250/350s posted at decent prices. I only found 1 V-10 but I'll keep looking.

Thanks again!

Old 07-28-2011, 07:39 PM
i just got a diesel .. i love the truck but the mpg are awful i got it because i plan on plowing and do a little towing but if you arnt going to work it id agree with them above... either get a gas super duty or f150 ... you can always buy a stock truck and customize the way you want. Then its your creation exactly the way you want it ..might spend a little more but when its done you can look at it and be proud that you made it look like that and even did some of the work yourself .. thats just my opinion good luck with whatever your choice is

Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Diesels don't need to be worked. I've logged several hundred thousand miles with diesels since 1999 with alot of daily driving and weekend warrior work or pulling a travel trailer with no issues.
Don't leave them sitting for long periods idling, change oil at good intervals, keep filters clean, run good fuel, and take care of it.
I've had 7.3's, 6.0's, and a 6.4. All flawless, all alot of highway diving, all maintained with nothing more than oil changes and ocassional fuel or air filters.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

i just got a diesel for my DD and dont tow often at all. my suggestion is get one thats not lifted and make it your own.

if you stay stock and just DD it as long as you keep it up it should do just fine but be careful with things like the turbo/egr clogging. mine has 171K on it and is stock except for straight piped from the cat back.

Quick Reply: Diesel for just normal driving??? Help Pls