F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Rear Main Seal leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear Main Seal leaking

I just got my truck a couple weeks ago, 1997 F250 HD with the 7.5L gasser, 76,000 miles. Didn't notice any leaks and the truck looked like it was in amazing shape. Well 2000 miles later the rear main seal starts leaking like a sieve. It took 2 quarts to make it 350 miles to where I bought the truck from. I called the dealership I normally go to in my hometown and it was going to be ~$2200 to fix. Fortunately, the dealership I bought it from is going to fix it for free. Still had to rent a car to finish the trip home to see my kids for a few days, so I'm still out $350 for that.

I know it could be much worse, like if they weren't going to cover it, but I still had to vent.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
You are way ahead with an old school truck and classic 460 than any new truck.

Adrianspeeder

Old 08-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up the truck yesterday afternoon on my way back to work. got 150 miles down the road and stopped for gas, and was a little over a quart low. Oil was leaking all over the exhaust again, worse than before. Bad thing is I couldn't just turn around and drop it off to be fixed again, I had to get to work. So I called the dealership today and explained the problem, they will of course cover it, but it is still really frustrating to have to deal with it again.

Thanks Adrianspeeder.... Judging by your fleet of old school fords I figured this would get an approval from you. lol

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal leaking