F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Chip, Exhaust, and Filter Questions..........

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001 | 07:06 PM
Ordered some goodies...

Well, here's what I ordered - thanks to Mike Troyer from SuperChips for putting up with me!

* Gibson Stainless Headers
* Gibson Stainless Side-Swept CatBack
* SuperChip
* AirForce1 FIPK

Can't wait to get the toize!

Oh, and I started a little site for the new truck:

http://www.noizeyboize.com/f-250.htm

Old 09-15-2001 | 02:20 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi CooperJ,

It was our pleasure to work with you, & that is going to be one very fun V-10 truck with all the mods you're doing, and very quickly, I might add. Man after my own heart, we just dropped a bunch of mods on our new Lightning, it's nice to take the plunge for some serious power gains, isn't it?

Have fun,

Old 09-17-2001 | 11:27 AM
go with the dual pipes out the back, they look a lot better than a single

Old 09-20-2001 | 08:17 PM
Thought I'd post this note to Mike...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 6:06 PM
To: 'Mike Troyer'
Subject: Urgent fuel question...and comments...
Importance: High

Mike -

Making good progress. I got the super chip yesterday while I was installing the Gibson CatBack. It afforded me the opportunity to try each of the gadgets out one at a time.

First, the CatBack was cake. Borrowed a lift, and stock exhaust came off in one piece. Took less than an hour to do the whole job. I drove it around over night and had a ball listening to that Very distinct tone. Doesn't sound like my Cobra at all, but kind've a detuned Viper...or perhaps a bit of a subdued Formula 1 car. Performance you can FEEL in your butt. As for noise, well I'd say it's just a hair louder than stock...particularly at 5000rpms (woof!).

Second was the Air Force One FIPK. While the instructions for taking the stock intake off were incredibly thorough, the installation didn't say squat. Also, the holes for the MAS gadget didn't quite line up - No problem - a 3/8" drill through the plastic, and everything slapped today. A NICE addition to the cat-back system! Performance - same as above! I could FEEL the difference, and the revs climb WAY quicker. I'm also delighted to hear that there is very little induction noise increase over stock. GORGEOUS looking installation as well - that polished stainless is sweet!

Finally, I just got back from my test-drive after installing your chip. Now keep in mind I've still got "regular" gas in it, but the difference was immediately noticed. ESPECIALLY the shift point. I always thought that the tranny was a little sluggish, now it snaps into the next gear! Took me about 20 minutes to yank the 'puter, clean the connector and slap it back in; fired right up. Recommend a pencil eraser to clean fingers. I've been doing this for 18 years at Digital (now Compaq, soon to be HP-?-).

My question is - I've got 1/3 of a tank of "regular" left. Should I burn that up, or re-fill right away and make a "mixed drink"?

Sir Edward is a 6000lb dragster. I would say that anyone who does NOT want to do headers, should do a single-cat-back, chip and FIPK. I'm very impressed, and I'm not sure the computer has even "learned" yet - would that be true?

I took TONS of pictures of the work so far, and will post them on my WEB ASAP (http://www.noizeyboize.com).

Finally, I do the headers this weekend. I bet that makes a big difference as well. One thing is that the headers have a big-threaded hole (1" or so) in them (on one side)...yet the stock exhaust does not have an EGR at all (at least that goes in to the manifolds) - there is a "boss", but no threaded hole. Should I just buy a plug and seal it up? I'll also contact Gibson directly to see what I should do. I'll advise, just FYI.

Thanks for all your help to date - this thing BARKS!

Jeffrey F. Cooper
Senior Solutions Architect
FutureSourcing - Compaq Global Services
* PCS Cellular: 719-331-5478
* PCS Email: 7193315478@mobile.att.net
* PCS WEB: http://www.mobile.att.net/mc/pager_show.cgi
* CXO Office: 719-592-4915

Quick Reply: Chip, Exhaust, and Filter Questions..........